U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:22 AM

9,546 posts, read 4,356,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I hunt. I eat what I kill except for predators like coyotes. I also have a ranch and farm. All of you need to see what coyotes will do to farm animals. Try watching coyotes yank a birthing calf from a cow killing it seconds after birth then eating the cow (still in shock from birthing) alive from the ass end. It will live in pain through the entire thing until it bleeds out.

Guess how a pride of lions eats most things. Ya, they eat them alive. From the butt end forward. Mother nature can be quite cruel.
After you kill a coyote do you pose over the corpse with your wife or girlfriend and post the picture on the internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:22 AM

429 posts, read 90,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Important to note that big game hunters are only legally allowed to hunt older/sick/dying animals on reservations. The (very high) fees they pay to do so goes towards conservation efforts. Itís not as bad as it appears.
I've heard that. It still doesn't mean that people who get their jollies killing endangered animals aren't a-holes.

Old Today, 08:46 AM

18,294 posts, read 10,386,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
After you kill a coyote do you pose over the corpse with your wife or girlfriend and post the picture on the internet?
Well yeah there are any number of youtubes up there of guys with infra-red scopes shooting a bunch at a time with suppressor equipped AR's BUT, they are a nuisance and threat to livestock so must be dealt with using whatever means is efficient.

This Canadian couple from Edmonton Alberta are literally a stones throw away from some very rugged country with all sorts of big game that would have required them to actually perform the rudimentary tenets of actual "hunting" instead of claiming they've indulged in "hard work" while sighting their 'selected for them' animal across a stretch of open ground as flat as a pancake and riding there in a 4X4 Land Rover.

I hunted the Pacific Northwest for years while younger and on leave from the RCN. My game all went to the lumber camps and native reservations. I'm ashamed of these entitled brats. Hunters they're not in any way shape or form. They were merely the executioners in a staged whannabe fiasco of a pay for play.

Stalking a Grizzly or Moose over terrain that can actually pose a risk to you in any number of ways is "hard work" Ö. this was an embarrassing phony cake walk.

I suspect the taxidermist boyfriend hubby will bring the hide back to Canada and make a display for his business while proudly boasting he stalked and hunted the killer for days.

Old Today, 08:48 AM

24,044 posts, read 11,953,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
How cruel...I would never be able to shoot a beautiful animal. And all for a stupid trophy? That's inhumane. At least the hunters I do know only hunt deer and will use all of the meat they have.
They did it legally. Thus I donít care.

Old Today, 09:02 AM

14,218 posts, read 11,647,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Important to note that big game hunters are only legally allowed to hunt older/sick/dying animals on reservations. The (very high) fees they pay to do so goes towards conservation efforts. Itís not as bad as it appears.

No, it's not. Personally I don't go in for trophy hunting but those who do contribute heavily to conservation efforts. And as you say the animals taken in these types of hunts need to be culled anyway. They are old and/or sick or possibly rouge and destructive in the case of animals like elephants.

Yea yea, it's easy for folks to get all bunched up about photos like this where there is a celebratory air around the killing of an animal. But the kill is actually only a very small part of the story. And the celebratory air is part of the game with trophy hunting. Yes, it's an ego thing. But ALL hunters are getting caught up in this negative image caused by a select few people getting wide spread attention.

And despite the ego feeding happy dance thing these people have done a service. If they didn't kill the animal game officers would have. So instead the animal was utilized to generate conservation revenue when otherwise it would have cost scarce money and just been a dead animal.

It's hard for people who have no clue about wildlife management to understand but there are big benefits in trophy hunting for wildlife. Despite the popular image it's a fact.

Old Today, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well yeah there are any number of youtubes up there of guys with infra-red scopes shooting a bunch at a time with suppressor equipped AR's BUT, they are a nuisance and threat to livestock so must be dealt with using whatever means is efficient.

This Canadian couple from Edmonton Alberta are literally a stones throw away from some very rugged country with all sorts of big game that would have required them to actually perform the rudimentary tenets of actual "hunting" instead of claiming they've indulged in "hard work" while sighting their 'selected for them' animal across a stretch of open ground as flat as a pancake and riding there in a 4X4 Land Rover.

I hunted the Pacific Northwest for years while younger and on leave from the RCN. My game all went to the lumber camps and native reservations. I'm ashamed of these entitled brats. Hunters they're not in any way shape or form. They were merely the executioners in a staged whannabe fiasco of a pay for play.

Stalking a Grizzly or Moose over terrain that can actually pose a risk to you in any number of ways is "hard work" Ö. this was an embarrassing phony cake walk.

I suspect the taxidermist boyfriend hubby will bring the hide back to Canada and make a display for his business while proudly boasting he stalked and hunted the killer for days.
Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with ranchers and farmers taking out pests like coyotes. And hunting in general I'm okay with. But that pic of the couple sharing a little romantic moment just after slaughtering a magnificent animal just rubbed me the wrong way.

Old Today, 09:38 AM

11,673 posts, read 3,996,978 times
Quote:

Firstly I don't understand the pleasure in killing such a magnificent animals.

Secondly put it on the internet, and what's going to happen it going to end up in the media, and you are also going to receive no end of death threats and vile messages.

Furthermore some of these messages and groups making these threats are not joking in the least, there are members of groups such as the Animal Liberation Front (ALF), Animal Rights Militia (ARM) and Revolutionary Cells – Animal Liberation Brigade (ALB) in prison for planting bombs and engaging in extreme violence, and I fear this will one day end up with someone being seriously hurt or killed.

Last edited by Brave New World; Today at 09:56 AM..

Old Today, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Firstly I don't understand the pleasure in killing such a magnificent animals.

Secondly put it on the internet, and what's going to happen it going to end up in the media, and you are also going to receive no end of death threats and vile messages.

Furthermore some of these messages and groups making these threats are not joking in the least, there are members of groups such as the Animal Liberation Front (ALF), Animal Rights Militia (ARM) and Revolutionary Cells Ė Animal Liberation Brigade (ALB) in prison for planting bombs and engaging in extreme violence, and I fear this will one day end up with someone being seriously hurt or killed.
Some very good points here. The argument that this type of hunting is good for conservation sounds pretty reasonable until I see these jerks gloating over their kills. Then I start to question it.

Old Today, 10:22 AM

14,218 posts, read 11,647,915 times
Quote:
Some very good points here. The argument that this type of hunting is good for conservation sounds pretty reasonable until I see these jerks gloating over their kills. Then I start to question it.

As a hunter myself such scenes bother me to. But people like this guy and his wife are not actually hunters. They went on an African hunt and bagged a lion but they don't actually really hunt at any other time. This is a lot like someone who goes deep sea fishing in Hawaii as part of their vacation. They don't actually fish at home but it's part of the package.

And like the latter tourists they get pictures. As I said earlier it's an ego driven thing. Something to say they were in some sort of high adventure situation requiring skill and daring. The truth is they rode in an air conditioned truck to a pre planned spot where the guides knew the animal would be, set up a shooting spot and killed the animal.

I'm not impressed either but this pair paid big money for this. And that's money that will go into anti poaching and other positive aspects of wildlife management. Personally I have never taken pictures of any animals I have taken. Not even stock killing mountain lions we tracked in rugged country over multiple days and got pretty tore up and tired doing the job.

But like I said, this pair were just tourists playing the game. Their guide probably had contempt for them but why not take the rich bwanas money to do a job that would have fell to somebody else eventually for nothing? Let the money bags bwana and kali bwana do their silly happy dance and feel like they actually did a real African hunt. Probably all they got to take home with them were pictures.

Due to US laws on the importation of exotic wildlife parts pictures was all they were gonna get.

Old Today, 10:24 AM

58,193 posts, read 41,018,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
I assume the country in which they were guests was quite thankful for the revenue.

So are pimps! Does that make them acceptable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or