U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 02:32 PM

16,836 posts, read 4,420,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Uh huh. Are you willing to live in the middle of nowhere and rely on well water and septic systems? Did it ever occur to you that much of that "empty land" was farmland? If you stayed solely on the interstates, it's easy to believe that there is lots of empty space. In many areas, once you get off the interstates, you run into populated areas. How do you know that these "empty spaces" have enough potable water to support a large population? How do you know if these "empty spaces" have buildable land?

Or...did you only come into this thread to (in your own words) "I come here -- vent, have some fun and leave."? In which case, you won't come back to respond.
Not to be flippant, but if one goes to Italy and such places they will see towns carved out of side of a hill (think ONE little hillside in WV or TN) where an entire way of life went on within a km or two.

I'm not pushing for more population - in fact, I think the world is over-populated considering our present tech and resources.

The future is vertical...whatever we wish to think. Most people will live in places that are closer to (in style) Singapore and Hong Kong then live in a hollow in WV.

IMHO, that might be the best way to do thing and then protect most of the land in-between. We'd all be able to take a short high-speed train ride (powered by solar electric) and be in the middle o nature within 15 minutes.

But, then again, that assumed a planned future. The USA has operated on the opposite and that's not going to work out well.

I've been through, mile by mile, the 10 hour drives from DC to the deepest parts of WV and TN and I can assure you that once you get far from the interstate there are not heavily populated areas! Interstates were built specifically to connect those! In WV we were often 90 minutes from an interstate....that's a lot of driving and we'd go in and out of entire valleys where there was not a single town to be seen.

Again, not pimping for more population...and my family and most others I know are "one or zero kids" in the next generation (my kids are only having one)....so we are doing our part.

As far as immigration, a sane policy is always needed. The Great Divide is between people who think it somehow gets done with screaming and those who believe Congress and Laws is the first step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 02:51 PM

5,412 posts, read 1,073,836 times
Well, we are nowhere near the population crises that China and India have.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:07 PM

37,908 posts, read 16,765,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
All the more reason to prevent it.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:07 PM

51,000 posts, read 27,137,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Hmmm...Anyone who is afraid to take a DNA test for fear that s/he most likely will find out that s/he has some white blood in them is a racist. The reverse also holds true for a white person who is terrified to find out that s/he has some black blood in them.

You have no idea if any of your ancestors were "immigrants" and are terrified to find out. Deal with it

Did you even bother to read the link from "The Root" that I posted for you? If not, why not? Are you unable to keep an open mind when it comes to this issue? SMH Whatever :shrug: with these posts of yours, you've shown your true colors (no pun intended).

It's been explained to you that we don't have "plenty of room for millions [more] immigrants", yet you keep saying otherwise despite the evidence being stacked against you. Keep it up. It only makes you look more foolish.
If you want me to take a DNA test, then you pay for it. Iím happy with being who I already know I am.

Iím a racist because of that? Ok.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:08 PM

51,000 posts, read 27,137,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
We arenít even in the ballpark.

We have plenty of room.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:08 PM

10,438 posts, read 6,474,118 times
Am I the only one who worries about blowing the grid? What about water, that's an issue in the western states.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:19 PM

13,405 posts, read 6,418,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Am I the only one who worries about blowing the grid? What about water, that's an issue in the western states.
No, you're not alone.

Yes, water is a big issue in the western states. As I mentioned before, Phoenix and Tucson rely on underground aquifers for their water. The scary thing is that even the experts don't know how much water is in these aquifers. The CBS Evening News did a story about this a few years back. So, then what could happen? Could it be that one day people turn on their faucets and not a drop of water comes out?

The reason FL has had problems with sinkholes is that as their population grows, new sources of fresh water need to be found and there has been quite a bit of digging going on in search of underground aquifers. Since much of its soil is karst and unstable, add in the digging and along come sinkholes.

It's absolutely stunning that some posters here, despite being told these things, keep claiming that we have unlimited buildable land and unlimited natural resources. Are they really that obtuse? Or are they just willfully ignorant? Or, maybe, some are trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or