U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:41 AM

312 posts, read 469,803 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Tennessee in the 1980s and 1990s, I noticed this about local politics.

In county (or parish)-level offices, every position was a "Democrat," as it was for as long as anyone could remember. The Democratic Party was THE party. The Democratic headquarters was one of the main downtown buildings next to the Courthouse. If there was a Republican headquarters, it was a shed behind someones mobile home. The Democratic Primary was essentially the election for local and some state races.

However, when it came to "national" politics, many of the people in these rural counties were overwhelmingly for the Republicans and sounded like very standard conservative Republicans. But when it came to local races, they were still Democrats in name. My sense is it was just not convenient or easy to undo that party infrastructure. And for the most part, these local elections did not involve national issues. Generally it was Joe Blow vs. Joe Schmoe in the primary, with the vote coming down to who was the most popular, competent, or well-known to be County Judge or Sheriff. All were "Democrats" but still conservative.

Is this still the case, or did local Republican parties finally displace these entrenched local Democratic parties?

Last edited by NewTexico76; Today at 12:44 AM.. Reason: Louisiana had no counties!

Old Today, 12:43 AM

312 posts, read 469,803 times
By the way, I am not asking about political issues or stances at all or which party is better or worse, just the party structure, whether people still have this split vote between Republicans for the major races, and Democrats for most of the local ones.

Old Today, 12:52 AM

50,741 posts, read 26,752,776 times
White southerners are conservative Republicans, and it’s pretty much a clean sweep.

They were always conservatives anyway, but the wing of the Democratic Party white southerners belonged to vanished after the Civil Rights movement. Actually, they left BECAUSE of the Civil Rights movement.

The Southern Democrats we’re left with now are black urbanites and country folks, white urbanites and professionals and the growing Hispanic population in the region.

Old Today, 12:57 AM

8,689 posts, read 2,489,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
White southerners are conservative Republicans, and it’s pretty much a clean sweep.

They were always conservatives anyway, but the wing of the Democratic Party white southerners belonged to vanished after the Civil Rights movement. Actually, they left BECAUSE of the Civil Rights movement.
That or they simply learned to change their rhetoric to disguise who and what they really are. I can't imagine as a father teaching my son that he can't make it without help. That is basically the message of the Democrat party. Instead I taught my son not to make excuses, only he can limit his own potential. The GOP preaches we care trust us. You dont need us, but we are making sure you will make it. same damn thing.
Liars one and all.

Old Today, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
That or they simply learned to change their rhetoric to disguise who and what they really are. I can't imagine as a father teaching my son that he can't make it without help. That is basically the message of the Democrat party. Instead I taught my son not to make excuses, only he can limit his own potential. The GOP preaches we care trust us. You dont need us, but we are making sure you will make it. same damn thing.
Liars one and all.
Nope. White southerners were all over those welfare programs. LBJ used white southerners and Appalachian dwellers to sell the War on Poverty. Roosevelt’s New Deal gave many white southerners the first paycheck they’d ever seen in their lives. Poverty was a way of life in the South. Still is in much of it.

No...white southerners left the Democrats over LBJ’s chipping at Jim Crow. Civil Rights turned the white south on its head. It confused and angered them.

Trying to make it a matter of southern whites wanting to be rugged individualists is a fraud. There’s no evidence to support that. White southerners loved sucking on the government teet as much as anyone. And disproportionate southern power in Congress kept the pork flowing home. Southern congressmen were pretty much ALL New Dealers.

So...nah. Nice try though.

Old Today, 04:45 AM

36,978 posts, read 16,123,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
When I lived in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Tennessee in the 1980s and 1990s, I noticed this about local politics.

In county (or parish)-level offices, every position was a "Democrat," as it was for as long as anyone could remember. The Democratic Party was THE party. The Democratic headquarters was one of the main downtown buildings next to the Courthouse. If there was a Republican headquarters, it was a shed behind someones mobile home. The Democratic Primary was essentially the election for local and some state races.

However, when it came to "national" politics, many of the people in these rural counties were overwhelmingly for the Republicans and sounded like very standard conservative Republicans. But when it came to local races, they were still Democrats in name. My sense is it was just not convenient or easy to undo that party infrastructure. And for the most part, these local elections did not involve national issues. Generally it was Joe Blow vs. Joe Schmoe in the primary, with the vote coming down to who was the most popular, competent, or well-known to be County Judge or Sheriff. All were "Democrats" but still conservative.

Is this still the case, or did local Republican parties finally displace these entrenched local Democratic parties?
"However, when it came to "national" politics, many of the people in these rural counties were overwhelmingly for the Republicans"

We have had MORE presidents from the South then any other area of the country, including carter and clinton, yet the north dems who voted fpr them STILL try to deride the south

Old Today, 04:50 AM

7,322 posts, read 3,776,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Liars one and all.
That doesn`t explain why the GOP`s base receives the bulk of the "help".

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...curity/516861/

Old Today, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
That doesn`t explain why the GOP`s base receives the bulk of the "help".

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...curity/516861/
And always did.

Old Today, 02:19 PM

11,476 posts, read 8,449,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
By the way, I am not asking about political issues or stances at all or which party is better or worse, just the party structure, whether people still have this split vote between Republicans for the major races, and Democrats for most of the local ones.
I'm a ticket splitter on all local and state races.

Old Today, 02:25 PM

6,878 posts, read 6,202,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nope. White southerners were all over those welfare programs. LBJ used white southerners and Appalachian dwellers to sell the War on Poverty. Roosevelt’s New Deal gave many white southerners the first paycheck they’d ever seen in their lives. Poverty was a way of life in the South. Still is in much of it.

No...white southerners left the Democrats over LBJ’s chipping at Jim Crow. Civil Rights turned the white south on its head. It confused and angered them.

Trying to make it a matter of southern whites wanting to be rugged individualists is a fraud. There’s no evidence to support that. White southerners loved sucking on the government teet as much as anyone. And disproportionate southern power in Congress kept the pork flowing home. Southern congressmen were pretty much ALL New Dealers.
The great society programs have also perpetuated the mass exodus of white voters to the republican party. They are too busy worrying about "free stuff" to notice that their wages have been flat for 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or