U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2019, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Boston
8,368 posts, read 2,452,586 times
Reputation: 5969

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Agree.

I wouldn't vote for him, but Biden I could at least live with if it came down to that.

He's not saying that we would all just fine with losing our private health insurance for universal healthcare like certain radicals, for example. I have zero problem with his healthcare plan, if people want to buy into govt healthcare, fine. But don't take away my hard earned excellent insurance that is incredibly inexpensive and efficient, and excellent.
you could be the poster boy for who's going to get screwed big time if they pass some type of Democratic health care plan,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2019, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
18,522 posts, read 10,301,237 times
Reputation: 7236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Mostly we want a prosperous country with secure borders, less government control, and lower taxes. I know it's killing dems that we are actually accomplishing that. I'm not saying no republican is racist (anyone can be), but you dems play the race card with everything and it's just ludicrous. If you see no problem with "the squad" then lord help you.

And again, you dems just can't see it. You just called me a racist. That is hateful. I have not attacked anyone on this thread except for telling that one poster that they were being ignorant because they basically labeled every non-white as a democrat which is a load of BS.

I'm not racist at all, I have friends of every ethnicity. Hell I'm in a same-sex marriage, a minority myself, so it would be pretty counterproductive to be racist.
I didn't direct that at you specifically, but apparently you came to that conclusion. My exact words were: "If you don't have the guts to call a racist a racist, you are one."

I'll sit pat, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Texas
35,635 posts, read 19,576,671 times
Reputation: 21246
Thumbs down What's happened to "the party of family values?

The "party of personal responsibility?"

The GOP is now covering the tracks of their leader, who has been involved with a heinous sexual predator.

How low can they go?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,531 posts, read 657,024 times
Reputation: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
you could be the poster boy for who's going to get screwed big time if they pass some type of Democratic health care plan,
Right, so the guy like me who works his a** off, takes out loans to go to college, goes to and finishes college, finds a job, pays loans back, pays substantial income tax deserves to get screwed while the bottom 40-45% of adult Americans who pay zero taxes can get healthcare for free.

That's fair.

That's what liberals don't get. Almost half of the adult population pays zero federal income tax. Have you guys any idea how expensive that would be for the rest of us who do pay? Universal healthcare will never work here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 05:56 PM
 
7,334 posts, read 2,611,346 times
Reputation: 3749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Mostly we want a prosperous country with secure borders, less government control, and lower taxes. I know it's killing dems that we are actually accomplishing that. I'm not saying no republican is racist (anyone can be), but you dems play the race card with everything and it's just ludicrous. If you see no problem with "the squad" then lord help you.

And again, you dems just can't see it. You just called me a racist. That is hateful. I have not attacked anyone on this thread except for telling that one poster that they were being ignorant because they basically labeled every non-white as a democrat which is a load of BS.

I'm not racist at all, I have friends of every ethnicity. Hell I'm in a same-sex marriage, a minority myself, so it would be pretty counterproductive to be racist.
That’s not what I said at all. I don’t know where you’re getting that.

What I did say is that the country is getting more diverse by the year. It is.

I said that the core of the Republican vote, white non-college voters is getting smaller every year. It is.

I also said that in 2012, the Republican Establishment tried to sell to its base a pathway to citizenship for illegals to help their chances of gaining with that growing bloc of voters. They did.

I said that in lieu of accepting that, the base of the GOP went in the opposite direction and nominated a hard-liner on immigration in Donald Trump. They did.

I never stated that in the future, non-whites would continue to vote as they have in the past. I did include a study that calculated possible scenarios for future elections. All that I was trying to show was that IF the Republican base is NOT EXPANDED to increase their share of the demographics that are growing, they would have to get higher and higher turnout and vote percentage of white voters just to break even. Which is true. I never said that it was a lock.

But what I did say, which may have the point that set you off is that if the GOP continues to chase those white voters that are the most concerned about changing demographics and they use increasingly harsh rhetoric to do so, it’s hard to see how they would be successful at increasing their non-white voting share. It’s hard to simultaneously please the true hard core white racists like Richard Spencer and David Duke, while gaining voting share from voters in demographic blocs that those extremists despise.

That’s what I was trying to convey. Maybe I didn’t get that point across. I don’t consider what I said to be racist in any way. It’s just a look at the data, and how the electorate is shifting.

That’s the last I plan to say in this thread, but I just wanted to clarify what I was driving at.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 07-18-2019 at 06:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Out West
23,085 posts, read 17,079,252 times
Reputation: 26672
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
And this article is from February before this current wave of Trumps fear mongering, phony patriotism and racist rants...


Many snips from such a spot-on article but you get the drift. All Democrats should take the time to read this in its entirety as it does explain how the GOP is becoming a ghost and we can breath a bit easier in the knowledge that there is still hope for the planet and its inhabitants.
Sure, Jan.

I was told the same thing by some leftist shill when I was at a friend's house before moving away from Seattle.

So, I guess I have to tell the story again:

My co-worker/friend was having a combo housewarming/going away party. Housewarming for her, going away party for me. She invited a lot of people that I didn't know for her housewarming part of the party. And she invited some people I did know, mainly from work, for both parts of the party.

At some point, one of my co-workers decided it was necessary to announce to everyone at the party that I was a Republican. We weren't even talking about politics so who knows why he did that, but whatever.

Naturally, a stupid girl, who I am convinced is an SJW today, decided to follow me around and act like a total b*tch, telling me "Scoff. Republican. There's a dying breed."

That was in 2003.

Your president is President Donald J. Trump right now, voted in by the Republicans.

You're welcome, and no, Republicans are not a dying breed now just as they weren't back in 2003.

Sickofnyc - don't you ever get sick of being wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,531 posts, read 657,024 times
Reputation: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
That’s not what I said at all. I don’t know where you’re getting that.

What I did say is that the country is getting more diverse by the year. It is.

I said that the core of the Republican vote, white non-college voters is getting smaller every year. It is.

I also said that in 2012, the Republican Establishment tried to sell to its base a pathway to citizenship for illegals to help their chances of gaining with that growing bloc of voters. They did.

I said that in lieu of accepting that, the base of the GOP went in the opposite direction and nominated a hard-liner on immigration in Donald Trump. They did.

I never stated that in the future, non-whites would continue to vote as they have in the past. I did include a study that calculated possible scenarios for future elections. All that I was trying to show was that IF the Republican base is NOT EXPANDED to increase their share of the demographics that are growing, they would have to get higher and higher turnout and vote percentage of white voters just to break even. Which is true. I never said that it was a lock.

But what I did say, which may have the point that set you off is that if the GOP continues to chase those white voters that are the most concerned about changing demographics and they use increasingly harsh rhetoric to do so, it’s hard to see how they would be successful at increasing their non-white voting share. It’s hard to simultaneously please the true hard core white racists like Richard Spencer and David Duke, while gaining voting share from voters in demographic blocs that those extremists despise.

That’s what I was trying to convey. Maybe it didn’t get that point across. I don’t consider what I said to be racist in any way. It’s just a look at the data, and how the electorate is shifting.

That’s the last I plan to say in this thread, but I just wanted to clarify what I was driving at.
I'm not going to argue with you anymore but the bolded isn't really true. If you think I'm the only person who went to college and has a good job, through hard work that votes Republican, that's just crazy. We don't know what happens behind the curtain voting booth but most people in my circle are the same. Yes, the rural vote swings red. You're not wrong about that.

But there are millions of people just like me (college degree, good job) who worked hard to make it in life, who want to keep more of their money and don't like seeing the government waste it, which we all know it does. It doesn't sit that well with me that almost half of adult America pays no income taxes. Let's be honest, most of that group, why wouldn't they want all the entitlement programs that liberals promise?

I assure you, even if they're lying and/or ashamed to admit it, a lot more people vote Republican than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:52 PM
 
7,334 posts, read 2,611,346 times
Reputation: 3749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I'm not going to argue with you anymore but the bolded isn't really true. If you think I'm the only person who went to college and has a good job, through hard work that votes Republican, that's just crazy. We don't know what happens behind the curtain voting booth but most people in my circle are the same. Yes, the rural vote swings red. You're not wrong about that.

But there are millions of people just like me (college degree, good job) who worked hard to make it in life, who want to keep more of their money and don't like seeing the government waste it, which we all know it does. It doesn't sit that well with me that almost half of adult America pays no income taxes. Let's be honest, most of that group, why wouldn't they want all the entitlement programs that liberals promise?

I assure you, even if they're lying and/or ashamed to admit it, a lot more people vote Republican than you think.
No arguments. There are plenty of individuals in every demographic group that vote every way imaginable.

It’s just that there is one demographic that has been losing voting share (of total registered voters) for over 20 years. That’s white non-college voters. At one time it was the heart of the New Deal coalition. Since the 1960’s it started to trend Republican. There are still some Democrats who are white non-collar but they now make a much higher base of the Republican Party than of the Democrats. These are disproportionately older white voters. That’s why they’re losing share of registered voters. More are dying than turning 18 and joining the voting ranks.

Anyway.

Have a good night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:58 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,998 posts, read 21,282,927 times
Reputation: 9525
Who would have thought the Democrats would ever have a stranglehold on Black voters after their history of supporting slavery and being against Black rights? The change is all due to three men: FDR, JFK, and LBJ. Three leaders and a total flip of Black votes occurs.

Trumpism can't continue, it depends too much on White Baby Boomers. But the GOP could moderate tone and have a couple great presidents and then things change. It might not happen, but the Democrats being the party of diversity never looked possible in 1920.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,833 posts, read 2,412,715 times
Reputation: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Did you ever notice how Dems think "Republicans are dying"...whenever there's a Republican in the WH? [/i]
It'll take some time, but yes Republicans are dying off. Just look at the future.

Gen Z: heavily liberal (see my previous post here)

Millennials: liberal

Gen X: liberal

Baby Boomers: split, but keep in mind they're currently ages 55-75. Stats support that smart people live longer. And Republicans are dumber than Democrats. So the Republican Boomers are going to die off quicker, which will leave the Democratic voting Boomers along with the other Democratic generations before them left to vote. This may take 20 years though.

Silent Generation: Conservative, & holding the Republican party alive with their voting turnout.


The Republican party knows their future is bad, & that's why each election they're pulling harder to cheat votes by gerrymandering, using Russian involvement, drivers license requirements etc. It's only going to get worse cheating wise as the Republicans get more desperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top