U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 08:55 AM

36,979 posts, read 16,404,056 times

Advertisements

Most of the proposals are good but there are a couple of things I don't particularly like. What's to prevent Mexico and other countries from rejecting these asylum seekers claims just so they will continue to come up to the U.S. instead? I realize that Mexico offered at least some of these people asylum after the caravans began but like any country they have their limits and with that loophole in place why should they continue it on any large scale? I'm having trouble keeping up with all the changes because of court rulings, etc. but will they have to wait in Mexico when rejected by them and wait their till their asylum claims to the U.S. are heard then? Who will be supporting these people while they wait outside our country?

Another thing is from what I have read we have no limits on accepting and eventually approving asylum claims. IMO, we should set limits on how many asylum seekers we process and accept on an annual basis.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:02 AM

3,416 posts, read 660,807 times
I agree with your first point. I can see where Mexico can't absorb hundreds of thousands of impoverished foreigners without endangering their own economy, similar to the problem here in the U.S. Perhaps we can discourage false claims of asylum (90% are ineligible) by requiring a processing fee that is returned only if asylum is granted.

As to the second point, I don't like limits (unless they are limits they can be increased during an emergency). I'm thinking particularly of Nazi Germany, and how the liberals' hero FDR slammed the door shut on Jews fleeing murder by their own government. With antisemitism on the rise worldwide, but particularly in Europe, I'd hate to see limits.

Old Today, 09:25 AM

36,979 posts, read 16,404,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I agree with your first point. I can see where Mexico can't absorb hundreds of thousands of impoverished foreigners without endangering their own economy, similar to the problem here in the U.S. Perhaps we can discourage false claims of asylum (90% are ineligible) by requiring a processing fee that is returned only if asylum is granted.

As to the second point, I don't like limits (unless they are limits they can be increased during an emergency). I'm thinking particularly of Nazi Germany, and how the liberals' hero FDR slammed the door shut on Jews fleeing murder by their own government. With antisemitism on the rise worldwide, but particularly in Europe, I'd hate to see limits.
Well, if Mexico can't absorb hundreds of thousands of asylum claimants into their country and might set limits I don't see why we shouldn't do the same. We are trillions in debt and it would create more crowded conditions in our neighborhoods, roads, facilities, etc. than we already have. It's already happening. So I guess we'll have to disagree on that point. We cannot be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world's asylum seekers without it negatively impacting our own citizens. Most of these asylum seekers are making bogus claims anyway and in the meantime it's costing us a lot of tax dollars to process and detain them along with the costs of their upkeep if they are allowed to remain in our country till their cases are heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or