U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 12:36 AM

7,501 posts, read 4,255,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is a bunch of bull.

That man provided a product that people wanted. Heís got no business being imprisoned.
So you're OK with the scores of people he killed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 01:32 AM

10,722 posts, read 2,738,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
The US is just as guilty for all those deaths, as much as Chapo was imo...after all, the US is the nation that caters to the drug cartels, they make sure their drug laws are extremely tough, as to make the country such a lucrative marketplace to sell illegal drugs!

Back in 2012, our govt and DEA target the pharma companies/opioid prescription pain killers, (which Im sure was at the cartels request/demand), those opioid painkillers were direct competition to cartel supplied heroin...the US made that competition go away very effectively!

Old 07-18-2019, 04:38 AM

39,522 posts, read 40,848,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I have no reason to believe this guy is going to just sit around and spend the rest of his life in prison.

He won't be escaping from ADX at Florence. That prison and the routines they have inside are specifically built to hold people like him. He won't even see let alone talk to other inmates. Contact with guards is very limited, monitored and changed so contact with any individual guard is limited. He won't even be able to tell where inside the prison he is located at.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:46 AM

10,822 posts, read 4,042,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You really think justice is served, sending him to this fortress of a prison?

Sounds like its MUCH more expensive to house someone here compared to other prisons too.

The Sina Loa drug cartel is still in operation for Gods sake, they are still sending tons and tons of drugs into the US, their operations were not impacted at all by his arrest and conviction. LOL
If it was me going, I would prefer the death penalty.

Why people think this is more merciful than hanging them or putting a bullet in their head is beyond me.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:46 AM

2,724 posts, read 914,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If it was me going, I would prefer the death penalty.

Why people think this is more merciful than hanging them or putting a bullet in their head is beyond me.
Death is final. While living they still have a sliver of hope for freedom. I doubt anyone wants death over life in prison. The only ones that truly do are the ones that have suicidal tendencies. Like McVeigh, he was suicidal and was able to commit suicide by no longer putting up the fight to appeal his conviction and death sentence.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:37 AM

39,522 posts, read 40,848,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I doubt anyone wants death over life in prison.

This prison he is going to is not like any other prison in the US, they even have a shower in the cell. They spend almost the entire time in the cell with almost no interaction with other humans including the guards. Even the guards are rotated so you may only see the same guard every few weeks. The cell is a cell in cell which is inside a prison that is inside a prison, the cell entrance is solid door with solid wall so they don't even see other prisoners or the guards when they are walking by. The cell has window that gives you a view of a wall or the plain sky. The exercise yard is 20 foot walls or whatever completely surrounding you. Your entire day is basically spent looking at walls with no one to talk to. You're going to need a lot self discipline and mental control to be able to deal with this. I'd imagine even Ted Kaczynski who was was recluse finds it difficult because he has nothing to exercise his mind.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:00 PM

50,762 posts, read 26,780,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Yep. They tried to kill him too. You donít believe in the right of self defense all of a sudden? Besides, why am I supposed to care about the drug war body counts in a foreign country? He didnít kill anyone here that I know of.

So absolutely Iím okay with it. In his line of work? Body counts are part of the game.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:20 PM

2,724 posts, read 914,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This prison he is going to is not like any other prison in the US, they even have a shower in the cell. They spend almost the entire time in the cell with almost no interaction with other humans including the guards. Even the guards are rotated so you may only see the same guard every few weeks. The cell is a cell in cell which is inside a prison that is inside a prison, the cell entrance is solid door with solid wall so they don't even see other prisoners or the guards when they are walking by. The cell has window that gives you a view of a wall or the plain sky. The exercise yard is 20 foot walls or whatever completely surrounding you. Your entire day is basically spent looking at walls with no one to talk to. You're going to need a lot self discipline and mental control to be able to deal with this. I'd imagine even Ted Kaczynski who was was recluse finds it difficult because he has nothing to exercise his mind.
Well the Colorado prison, if this is the one we are both talking about, allows prisoners out for one hour each 24 hour period of time. But this is only during the first year there. They slowly allow the prisoner more time out after that first year as time goes by where the prisoner shows that he can behave. They also don't expect anyone to be there more then three years who shows favorable behavior. It's sort of like, from what I read about it, a place where they go until they can behave and then go to other prisons.

Now if El Chapo misbehaves in any way, then he'll be on the 23 hour lockup / 1 hour out of cell schedule for a longer period of time and be at the prison for a longer stay (until he starts to behave appropriately). If he conducts himself as a model prisoner the first year he's there, he'll then be out of the cell for longer period of time every day and eventually transferred over to a less aggressive prison. This from what I've read about the prison and how they do things there.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:40 PM

1,491 posts, read 306,342 times
This reminds me of the count of monte cristo, not because he's innocent, he isn't, but because he probably knows something. We are supposed to believe the drug trafficking as it occurs in Mexico, which involves politicians, the police and military working along the cartels, is somehow different on the other side of the border.

He didn't even testify as he saw the whole thing as a show. He spoke (my translation)
"This isn't justice. The US isn't any better than any other corrupt country that this country does not respect."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h4aNTKlGo6c

Old 07-18-2019, 02:46 PM

10,128 posts, read 6,335,849 times
Well he sure was staring somebody down, in the crowd, as he was led off. Almost like a signal. No way in heck is he getting out though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies