U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2019, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Dublin, OH
2,470 posts, read 3,442,444 times
Reputation: 1545

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Somehow I doubt you'd have the same worries if Hillary had won despite the fact she didn't capture a majority of the popular vote either. Let's face it, the real reason why so many Democrats want to ditch the electoral college (or let non-citizens vote or lower the voting age to 16 or let felons vote or let felons STILL IN PRISON vote) is because Hillary lost and by changing the rules they enhance their chances of winning.

The fact is we don't know if Hillary would have won the popular vote absent the EC system because the current state-by-state winner-take-all voting system alters voting incentives and behaviors versus a straight-up popular vote. And Democrats really ought to be careful what they wish for re: ditching the electoral college because the evolving electoral map is making it increasingly difficult for Republicans to win. Not only does the GOP have to run the table on traditionally red AND "lean-red" states but they have to capture nearly all of the battleground states along with them. Democrats on the other hand have a huge margin to work with -- they can lose all but a couple battleground states and still win.

The main method the EC worked against Hillary is not that it handed the election to Trump despite Hillary's best efforts; on the contrary it made her so overconfident she thought she could coast on that huge margin without putting in the minimal legwork to shore up the "lean-blue" states. That's not an electoral college problem, that's a candidate problem.
Agreed that she was incredibly naive and lazy with her campaign...she thought because the economy was good that she'd coast on Obama's coattails.
I also agree that both parties would totally campaign differently based on a national popular vote. It actually would benefit the smaller states even more because the candidate would have to focus everywhere. You wouldn't have the candidates only going to 6-8 states. Big states like CA or TX or NY neither side would write off and would be trying to get everyone out to the poles but the same would happen in the smaller states like AR or ID or WV. It would truly make things more fair. Another thing it would do is get all Dems out to vote even in red states, where they could flip some districts. The same would happen with all GOP voters in blue states...again they could flip a few seats because of it. How many Dems don't vote in a state like TX because they never win it...same can be said for how many Reps don't vote in a state like CA because they know they are outnumbered so heavily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2019, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Dublin, OH
2,470 posts, read 3,442,444 times
Reputation: 1545
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
We withstood 4 more years of Bush, so hopefully that means we can withstand 4 more years of Trump. There were also lots of Bush lovers back then. In the end, they had to live with Bush's Great Recession. So get ready for one from Trump, too, if he wins reelection.
While his policies were bad and he lied our way into wasting Trillions of dollars in Iraq and Afghanistan and he led us into the worst recession since the Great Depression...Bush at least was a somewhat tactful politician who didn't whine like a baby and didn't outwardly show hate to nonwhite males. So that allowed us to at least get through that trying time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2019, 09:21 PM
 
19,055 posts, read 7,415,498 times
Reputation: 8136
Big question is can Dems regroup from their horrible, out of touch 2016 and 2020 fields, by 2024? They now know they can't win w/o sweeping the Rust Belt and doing decently in western Pa.

It may take far longer than just 2024 for them to rebuild. Their present field is incredibly weak, and the few known entities are very, very, very old plus have always been thrashed in primaries before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2019, 09:36 PM
 
2,350 posts, read 639,337 times
Reputation: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
IF Donald Trump loses the white house in 2020, and it is a big IF, we collectively need to start ignoring him, his tweets and his followers.

IF Trump loses the next election he will go off on a Twitter tirade the likes of which we've never seen before. You think he's a whiny little ***** now? Just wait until he's no longer POTUS (IF that happens in 2020)
He'll be on Fox News every day. He'll be on Twitter every minute. He'll still be holding campaign rallies (hell he still hasn't stopped campaigning against Hillary)

But the non-Fox media needs to ignore him. The people need to ignore him.

I know we won't. There is an obsession in this country with talking about the last president. I see people talking about Obama more now than when he was president.

But the more you talk about, fight with, argue with, report on Trump the more of a voice he's going to continue to have in this country. And EVEN IF you are someone who believes that Trump has done a good job with certain aspects of running the country, you're blind or a liar if you say that you think he's had a positive influence on the people of this country. Once he goes back to just being a public figure that's all he'll have. He'll only be able to stir up angst, anger & hate.

IF he loses the election in 2020 (which I suspect he will, but he could still be handed the presidency like he was in 2016) we NEED to ignore him.
I suspect after the Mueller build up heads will be randomly exploding around the country which will be a shame, they'll miss Trump finishing up in 25.......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2019, 10:42 PM
 
4,416 posts, read 905,325 times
Reputation: 2460
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
If he loses, we get to play with another POTUS where there will still be an extreme left & right battle, and a person people will love and hate.
I suspect he will lose, and lose big time.

But don't think that will be the end of anything. I bet he resigns, Pence takes over for the balance, and preemptively pardons Trump and kidlets for any actions they may have been involved, like Ford did Nixon.

Once out of office, Pence gets to utilize serious off-shore funds set up for him.

It's a scenario which could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 04:45 AM
 
Location: NY
3,988 posts, read 1,019,151 times
Reputation: 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
IF Donald Trump loses the white house in 2020, and it is a big IF, we collectively need to start ignoring him, his tweets and his followers.

IF he loses the election in 2020 (which I suspect he will, but he could still be handed the presidency like he was in 2016) we NEED to ignore him.


If Donald Trump loses the White House to who ?.......................( laughter....pause.....more laughter )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2019, 07:40 AM
 
19,397 posts, read 12,319,132 times
Reputation: 10677
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
IF Donald Trump loses the white house in 2020, and it is a big IF, we collectively need to start ignoring him, his tweets and his followers.

IF Trump loses the next election he will go off on a Twitter tirade the likes of which we've never seen before. You think he's a whiny little ***** now? Just wait until he's no longer POTUS (IF that happens in 2020)
He'll be on Fox News every day. He'll be on Twitter every minute. He'll still be holding campaign rallies (hell he still hasn't stopped campaigning against Hillary)

But the non-Fox media needs to ignore him. The people need to ignore him.

I know we won't. There is an obsession in this country with talking about the last president. I see people talking about Obama more now than when he was president.

But the more you talk about, fight with, argue with, report on Trump the more of a voice he's going to continue to have in this country. And EVEN IF you are someone who believes that Trump has done a good job with certain aspects of running the country, you're blind or a liar if you say that you think he's had a positive influence on the people of this country. Once he goes back to just being a public figure that's all he'll have. He'll only be able to stir up angst, anger & hate.

IF he loses the election in 2020 (which I suspect he will, but he could still be handed the presidency like he was in 2016) we NEED to ignore him.
If Trump loses:


1. Biden will stop any economic actions against China to protect American workers, as he is bought and sold by China.


2. We will have wide open borders


3. Anti-Semitic acts will increase


4. Taxes will rise


5. We will be back to "business as usual" in which politicians get rich while in office


6. Legislation from the bench will return


7. Black Lives Matter, The Muslim Brotherhood, and ANTIFA will be given free reign


8. Open season will be declared on the US police force


9. Attacks on ICE will rise


10. All efforts to deport illegals will cease


11. Insane, costly "global warming" taxes will be levied


12. US industry will decline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top