Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 12:13 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,805 times

Advertisements

When a thread starts with "what if" it is doomed to fail.

Trump has it in the bag. He will win the popular vote this time (by 4M) and the house will flip back.

Write it down. Add it to your notes, set an alarm. Come back in 17 months and tell me I was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 12:18 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
IF Donald Trump loses the white house in 2020, and it is a big IF, we collectively need to start ignoring him, his tweets and his followers.......
Why wait until 2020? Just do it now if he rattles your cage too much.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:31 PM

1,161 posts, read 435,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The people don't elect the president...the states do that.

If you are unhappy with the current system, amend the Constitution.

Wait...am i allowed to amend the constitution? Sweet Jesus, I had no idea that I could that!

Old 07-17-2019, 12:32 PM

1,161 posts, read 435,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
When a thread starts with "what if" it is doomed to fail.

Trump has it in the bag. He will win the popular vote this time (by 4M) and the house will flip back.

Write it down. Add it to your notes, set an alarm. Come back in 17 months and tell me I was wrong.
Will do. I definitely believe he will "win" the "election" in 2020, but no way he wins the vote of the people. No way. Guaranteed.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:56 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Yes of course Trump lost the popular vote but won the Presidency in the electoral college. But the undeniable fact is the majority of citizens who cast their ballots didn’t vote for Trump. That’s a fact and a reason for what many see as as an antiquated and unfair presidential election process conceived hundreds of years ago in a much different United States.
If those people didn’t also have that same feeling before the 2000 election, then it isn’t the process that they object to, just what the process wrought in two of the last five Presidential elections.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:59 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Trump is going to WIN! And every brutal CNN lying report will triple when our President is re-elected!

Old 07-17-2019, 01:00 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
See we do agree !!! ( bold above )

He stopped the momentum of decline by stopping Crooked Hillary and turn around the ship towards prosperity !!!

You do realize that "crooked hillary" turned out to be russian propaganda, retweeted by Trump (and others). Looks like you got duped.

It's sad that you, Trump and the rest of his base are so excited about the demise of America. I guarantee you if and when he looses, he'll be at the help, leading the scorched earth agenda. He's already hinted at it, and you are showing that you are among many willing followers.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:10 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Yes of course Trump lost the popular vote but won the Presidency in the electoral college. But the undeniable fact is the majority of citizens who cast their ballots didn’t vote for Trump. That’s a fact and a reason for what many see as as an antiquated and unfair presidential election process conceived hundreds of years ago in a much different United States.
Somehow I doubt you'd have the same worries if Hillary had won despite the fact she didn't capture a majority of the popular vote either. Let's face it, the real reason why so many Democrats want to ditch the electoral college (or let non-citizens vote or lower the voting age to 16 or let felons vote or let felons STILL IN PRISON vote) is because Hillary lost and by changing the rules they enhance their chances of winning.

The fact is we don't know if Hillary would have won the popular vote absent the EC system because the current state-by-state winner-take-all voting system alters voting incentives and behaviors versus a straight-up popular vote. And Democrats really ought to be careful what they wish for re: ditching the electoral college because the evolving electoral map is making it increasingly difficult for Republicans to win. Not only does the GOP have to run the table on traditionally red AND "lean-red" states but they have to capture nearly all of the battleground states along with them. Democrats on the other hand have a huge margin to work with -- they can lose all but a couple battleground states and still win.

The main method the EC worked against Hillary is not that it handed the election to Trump despite Hillary's best efforts; on the contrary it made her so overconfident she thought she could coast on that huge margin without putting in the minimal legwork to shore up the "lean-blue" states. That's not an electoral college problem, that's a candidate problem.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:12 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
Wait...am i allowed to amend the constitution? Sweet Jesus, I had no idea that I could that!
OK, so what's all the bitching about?

Old 07-17-2019, 01:19 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If Trump were to lose !!!
The country will descend into anarchy and poverty where citizenship has no value !!! Living hell !!!

According to democrats the President can't be above the law but all illegals entering can be !!!

The double standard will be enforced and grow into a self-consuming monster !!!
Wow and you guys accuse us of having TDS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies