Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 03:17 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Responsible adults will put off major purchases if they believe the economy might stumble and put jobs in jeopardy.

I don't expect most liberal to understand the reasoning behind this.
...and no builder is going to buy up some land and build houses either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 03:19 PM

20,870 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Responsible adults will put off major purchases if they believe the economy might stumble and put jobs in jeopardy.

I don't expect most liberal to understand the reasoning behind this.
The problem with that reasoning is there is always, somebody somewhere, saying a recession is on the horizon. That being the case, if people behaved as you described them behaving, nobody would ever buy anything. Since people do buy things, that tells you that people ignore what the media says.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:24 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The problem with that reasoning is there is always, somebody somewhere, saying a recession is on the horizon. That being the case, if people behaved as you described them behaving, nobody would ever buy anything. Since people do buy things, that tells you that people ignore what the media says.
There is a difference between "somebody somewhere" and the majority of news outlets.

And like I said, responsible adults don't make major purchases when there is the threat of recession. I can only assume you don't associate with responsible adults.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:25 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The Russia narrative has failed and impeachment has stalled, so this is why we're seeing the push by the media and the Democrats of racism and economic failure.
You forget, there is an impeachment inquiry underway and a large number of sealed indictments. Tick, tick, tick, tock. Just because Congress isn't screaming like a toddler about all that is going on behind the scenes does not mean Donald and his Crime families legal troubles have gone away.

Just because someone murdered Epstein does not mean the truth of all that crap will be buried either.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
There is a difference between "somebody somewhere" and the majority of news outlets.

And like I said, responsible adults don't make major purchases when there is the threat of recession. I can only assume you don't associate with responsible adults.
Also, if there is the threat of a recession, interest rates go down. That creates an incentive for some people to buy things.

So even if you were correct, there are other forces that even things out. Even the act of some people not buying some things would make the prices of those things go down, which is yet another incentive for other people to snap them up.

I wouldn't expect most Trump fans to understand the reasoning behind that.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Also, if there is the threat of a recession, interest rates go down. That creates an incentive for some people to buy things.

So even if you were correct, there are other forces that even things out. Even the act of some people not buying some things would make the prices of those things go down, which is yet another incentive for other people to snap them up.

I wouldn't expect most Trump fans to understand the reasoning behind that.
Yes, a liberal would probably be induced into financing a new car to save $500 even if their job is not secure.

Like I've said twice, I'm talking about responsible adults.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, a liberal would probably be induced into financing a new car to save $500 even if their job is not secure.

Like I've said twice, I'm talking about responsible adults.
If they didn't think their job was secure, they wouldn't buy a new car.

The people who would buy a new car (or house) when interest rates went down, or when the prices of cars (or houses) went down, would be people who would not be worried about the security of their job.

But like I've already said once, I wouldn't expect Trump fans to understand.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:39 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,126 times
Quote:
People are not going to not buy something just because some media outlets are screaming "recession coming!"

Given how silly those on the Left are....I mean they did buy into the whole Russia nonsense, so yes..this is possible. They will gobble up whatever the fake news tries to push.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:42 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The media can't spin a recession.
The investors keep tabs on the market, and not by reading about it in the morning paper. When they start jumping ship, things are looking down.

Even with the bump today, the Dow is down 1,400 points in the last three weeks. No bueno.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:43 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Media trying to spin ...

You give them far too much credit. The media can't spin a recession any more than it can 'spin' a plague. It reports what people do and what they think.
Quote:
LOL.

Yeah, right.

You might want to Google consumer confidence and how it affects the economy.
You Google it, I don't need to.

The media has been reporting on economics since there were newspapers. Every dip and rise is reported. It is always this way. Subject matter experts are asked what they think and analysts make forecasts, because there are people (investors - consumers - employers) who rely on that sort of information.

What you are proposing is censorship. We have never done that ... not ever. Not in 1929 and not in 2008 nor any business cycle in-between. What makes this cycle so different? We don't censor the news and we don't hide the facts from the American public.

Trumpies need to put their big boy pants on. Enough with this 'conspiracy' laden fantasyland you guys are living in, you people need to get real for once and learn to live with the Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies