U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 02:49 PM

19,591 posts, read 10,159,301 times

Advertisements

Today has been a great day for the Dims and their media...10 more days like this and they'll be having a recession-gasm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 02:51 PM

9,105 posts, read 11,106,026 times
No, they're not trying to spin it. I've read that many economists think we are due for one.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:52 PM

28,303 posts, read 19,716,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump has ruined the economy with his trade wars and massive deficit spending.

Conservatives will stop at nothing to see that gay people, non-Christians, and minorities suffer and if that means ruining a good economy, which Trump has done, then so be it.
explain in detail how they are making gay people, non-Christians, and minorities suffer.

*guffaw! *

Old 08-14-2019, 03:05 PM

9,612 posts, read 4,427,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
No, they're not trying to spin it. I've read that many economists think we are due for one.
Recessions also don't just happen because we are "due for one" like the Trump supporters are trying to spin it. Something has to trigger them. Before Trump began his stupid trade war, it was nothing but blue skies ahead for our economy.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:11 PM

47,589 posts, read 34,916,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
The inverted yield curve is a non- partisan and recognized bond market indicator that signals a potential recession may occur within 1-3 years.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:22 PM

10,394 posts, read 3,105,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I've been seeing and reading several articles that really seem like the media is trying to spin up a recession. Examples:

AP posted an article "Homebuilding sinks as apartment construction slips" in which it notes apartment starts slipping -9.4%. Read on in the fine print in the article where it's up 25% from last year, and single family construction is also up 7.4%. I'm seeing this as only a net 2% slowdown in apartment starts with home buying up....a good thing in my economic view vs. apartments as more people are "moving on up".

CNBC posted an article "Bad sign for commercial real estate, the architecture business is slowing down", citing few new contracts. Read on where it says this doesn't include single family projects and that rental apartments are still strong. I work in construction and the only reason I can credit the few new contracts for architectural work is that they are already full...we're seeing drawings come in months and months late. I'd believe that retail storefronts are down as more businesses move to a online sales and shipping model, but the rest is hog wash.

Yet another article focused on manufacturing in Ohio and "how hard it was hit by Trumps Tariff's on China", citing some business of a handful of people that had to increase prices 25% because of the Chinese stuff they were peddling and might have to close. Then in the bottom of the article it went on to say that other manufacturing startups/restarts had resulted in hundreds of new jobs in the same town.

I could go on and on, but there is no need. The spin is obvious. You can hate Trump all you want, but the media messing with our economy and livelihood messes with all of us....unless you don't have a job already. A recession swallows billions of dollars in net worth, states cut education and emergency services spending, jobs are lost, families loose their homes, unemployment and food stamp draws swell and put our states and nation further in debt, the dollar sinks in values and other countries surge in and buy up our commodities driving prices higher for food and fuel while times are already bad....but that's ok, giving Trump a black eye is obviously more important. In the meantime the same liberal elite will be thrilled when they can buy up our foreclosed homes, repossessed cars, and stocks for 25 cents on the dollar AND you fall into their "safety net" apartment subsidized by the government.
Media can't cause a recession. However, Trump's policies and manipulations aren't helping. Are you saying that what the media reported was false? From what I read the entire global economy is slowing down.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:23 PM

10,394 posts, read 3,105,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Bill Maher is everyone?

Old 08-14-2019, 03:25 PM

18,969 posts, read 10,453,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I thought Snopes was a totally unreliable left-wing outfit not suitable to be used for reference.

I'm confused...

Old 08-14-2019, 03:25 PM

1,562 posts, read 444,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Liberals would rather cut off their nose to spite their face than see our country/President succeed. Most Liberals donít have 401ks anyway. Lol

Extreme Terminal TDS!

We can lose 5000 points on the DOW and still be better than when Obama left office.
Where did you you come up with the fact that most liberals donít have 401ks?
The wealth is on the coasts.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:28 PM

1,923 posts, read 419,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Today has been a great day for the Dims and their media...10 more days like this and they'll be having a recession-gasm.
The only people who enjoy recessions are the handful of one-percenters who can use the opportunity to gobble up more businesses. For everybody else they are unpleasant, including the Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or