U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-18-2019, 12:37 AM
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
13,231 posts, read 6,802,059 times
Reputation: 12872

Advertisements

Thankfully, Americans the country over are tuning out the MSM. They have no influence.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2019, 12:48 AM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
22,192 posts, read 14,859,650 times
Reputation: 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Trumpís deregulation and non stimulative tax cuts failed to fuel the recovery he inherited and heís softening his trade wars and pushing the fed to cut rates because he knows heís dead for 2020 if the economy cools.
I honestly think it will cool slightly quite soon. There will be a time when the stock market takes a big drop as investors want some big returns. So far that profit-taking has been very brief and very specific. But there will come a time when the profit-taking will either come in several weeks of trading or in one big fall over a few days.
And then, things will level out, stay stagnant for a while until things are re-organized, and then, if the economy is really as strong is folks think, will begin to rise again.

The rise might be accompanied by another housing boom, as housing has been critically stagnant for far too long. The economy always tends to jerk the slack out of it pretty hard. And often suddenly.

20 years ago, it was the housing market that caused the big downfall. The stock market wasn't making a nickel, so stock traders plundered home mortgages because that's where the money was.

Now, it's reversed, and the stock market is the fattest hog. Sooner or later, the fattest is always the one that gets starved some, and the money goes to a leaner hog to fatten. It's how our capitalism works.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:00 AM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
22,192 posts, read 14,859,650 times
Reputation: 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And he was slammed for that.



I don't understand. If it's the right thing to do, why is it unpopular and unpopular with who?
It's always unpopular with anyone who is risk of getting scalped. Or thinks they might get scalped.

That's why Obama's big loans to big industry was so unpopular. It's also why he made the big mistake of not liquidating some of our biggest banks. He knew he should liquidate several of them, but that was just too big a risk to take for him and our economy.

It turned out to be an even bigger mistake than he anticipated, too. Wells Fargo, for example, wasn't liquidated, but it was so underwater that it should have been, and by leaving it standing, Wells Fargo abused its own customers to regain their lost capital. Pretty much like an addict pulling a gun on his family to get enough for another fix.

By the time the government stepped in and fined the crap out of them, Wells Fargo was solvent again, so it didn't matter to them if their some of customers were skinned alive. They had just spread their own debt outward to places it never should have been and were fat and happy again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:22 AM
 
79,548 posts, read 34,521,005 times
Reputation: 16006
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's always unpopular with anyone who is risk of getting scalped. Or thinks they might get scalped.

That's why Obama's big loans to big industry was so unpopular. It's also why he made the big mistake of not liquidating some of our biggest banks. He knew he should liquidate several of them, but that was just too big a risk to take for him and our economy.
But I didn't support him because he did not do that. You are saying that Trump is acting the same as Obama did. I'm trying to figure out why there is so much division then.

Quote:
It turned out to be an even bigger mistake than he anticipated, too. Wells Fargo, for example, wasn't liquidated, but it was so underwater that it should have been, and by leaving it standing, Wells Fargo abused its own customers to regain their lost capital. Pretty much like an addict pulling a gun on his family to get enough for another fix.

By the time the government stepped in and fined the crap out of them, Wells Fargo was solvent again, so it didn't matter to them if their some of customers were skinned alive. They had just spread their own debt outward to places it never should have been and were fat and happy again.
And Trump has to keep that propped up? You really think he is ever going to do anything that would upset that?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 03:33 AM
 
13,470 posts, read 10,318,552 times
Reputation: 17026
It's funny to me that people think the economy turns on a dime.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Online
654 posts, read 233,453 times
Reputation: 573
That is just silly. Unlike politics, finance runs on numbers. You can spin or not spin to your hearts content but when those numbers drop and money stops rolling in you WILL know.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 08:18 AM
Status: "Relax and eat a cookie." (set 4 days ago)
 
9,092 posts, read 11,092,785 times
Reputation: 13203
https://www.epi.org/publication/next-recession-bivens/ We're due for one.

States--The Trump administration has proven neither nimble nor smart when it comes to macroeconomic management. In particular, its attempt to dismantle many of the constraints put on financial sector speculation following the Great Recession is clearly a threat to future macroeconomic stability.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 08:20 AM
 
10,371 posts, read 2,565,035 times
Reputation: 5161
Media trying to spin a recession for 2020


This is just a load of BS
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 AM
 
10,371 posts, read 2,565,035 times
Reputation: 5161
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Thankfully, Americans the country over are tuning out the MSM. They have no influence.
There will always be news, and there will always be a need for journalism.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 08:50 AM
 
17,395 posts, read 4,599,550 times
Reputation: 11994
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFox View Post
That is just silly. Unlike politics, finance runs on numbers. You can spin or not spin to your hearts content but when those numbers drop and money stops rolling in you WILL know.
I see this happening right now.....but, as in 2005, one needs to look.

Not to say we are going to have another Great Recession. We have fell so far that there isn't too much air that need let out of the bag anyway. With 40% of Americans (and, for example, 46% of Floridians) not making it - and almost a trillion a year just on interest of the Debt, it's not hard to predict the future.

A recent CBO report laid out the obvious. It's not sustainable. IMHO, we were very slowly building things back up again (deficit was lower, slow growth) until Orange Man decided on "tax reform", King of Debt and Tariff King and everything else that will muck up the works.

No one can perfectly predict the future but I don't see how, for example the 46% of Floridians no making it turns to 35%.

Does anyone?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top