U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:11 PM

11,648 posts, read 4,932,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I feel exactly the same way.

I lean more Democratic than Republican, but I’m more of an “old school” New Deal Democrat. I get turned off by some of the positions of the modern day Democratic Party.
+1

I think the far right, and far left have a lot more in common than they'd like to admit.

There needs to be a return to center, compromise, pragmatism, and communicating. THINGS have gotten WAY out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 4,205,656 times
70% top tier tax rate is what we had pre-Reagan. When he cut that down to 28% we've been piling up debt ever since.

We need a true fiscal conservative to sit us down and explain that we are going to need serious cuts, tax increases, and a balanced budget. We can't spend on credit forever. But I don't think the people would ever elect someone to implement that.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy." - unknown

Old Today, 12:15 PM

9,996 posts, read 8,093,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Voters keep replacing sane voices with extreme ideologues. Partisans seem to be voting in primaries at higher rates than moderates.
Many congressional races are over once the primary is done. The fringiest voices often win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
You speak for a LOT of people, myself being one of them.

I truly would like to know why has no one come forward and been a candidate for us moderates -- or at least tried to form some kind of Moderate Party? If such a party or candidate would have a platform that would appeal to the majority of people in the working poor and middle class and would advocate being at least tolerant of ALL people, but without pandering to any special interest group, I think that both the current Republicans (whose base now seems to consist mainly of fundamentalist Christians and the wealthy) and the Democrats (who now seem to care about the rights and welfare of everyone but working and income-tax-paying citizens) would be beaten in a landslide.

I bet there would be plenty of people like myself who would give our voices, votes and some of our money to any moderate who would have even a 10% chance of winning.
IIRC there was a serious attempt in 2012 that went nowhere.

Old Today, 12:19 PM

31,715 posts, read 20,001,474 times
I think Carson City, NV area is pretty moderate. I spent a lot of time talking to peeps in restaurants and bars when we were selecting a retirement area.

They are pro-gun (they hunt a LOT), but very little racism or homophobia. Self reliant yet community oriented. Very friendly and inclusive.

I said they remind of "good 'ol boy hipsters", which I never thought I would see combined. They laughed and thought it was pretty accurate.

Edit: Not enough caffeine and I completely mis-read the OP.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Last edited by Mikala43; Today at 12:33 PM..

Old Today, 12:30 PM

6,627 posts, read 1,367,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

IIRC there was a serious attempt in 2012 that went nowhere.
Not that I'm aware -- and I try to keep current on such things. (I think that if there was such an attempt, it was probably underfunded and/or presented a candidate without much experience or name recognition. Today, I think anyone except a U.S. senator, governor, or long-term Representative would not have a hope of succeeding -- unless, like Trump, s/he was some kind of celebrity and/or a VERY wealthy businessperson.)

Oh, well, I will probably end up voting for the Libertarian candidate (again). Not my ideal, but better than Trump or the front-running (so far) Democratic candidates. However, if one of the Democrat left-wing "crazies" is selected and it appears to be close, I will probably end up hating myself and vote for Trump -- something I, until recently, vehemently insisted that I would never do.

Old Today, 12:31 PM

347 posts, read 140,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
You speak for a LOT of people, myself being one of them.

I truly would like to know why has no one come forward and been a candidate for us moderates -- or at least tried to form some kind of Moderate Party? If such a party or candidate would have a platform that would appeal to the majority of people in the working poor and middle class and would advocate being at least tolerant of ALL people, but without pandering to any special interest group, I think that both the current Republicans (whose base now seems to consist mainly of fundamentalist Christians and the wealthy) and the Democrats (who now seem to care about the rights and welfare of everyone but working and income-tax-paying citizens) would be beaten in a landslide.

I bet there would be plenty of people like myself who would give our voices, votes and some of our money to any moderate who would have even a 10% chance of winning.
How about this guy?

https://www.yang2020.com/

Andrew Yang - Thread on CityData

Andrew Yang - 5 minute video

Old Today, 12:37 PM

63 posts, read 6,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
As a moderate, I find myself now with no party to vote for.

The Republican Party has become something that I don't recognize as even being American. But the Democrats have gone bonkers, with a race to see how far left they can go, and which one can promise to give away more free stuff, and have shifted away from representing the middle class worker.

I'm middle class, retired, and moderate (although liberal ideologically, I'm sill moderate, as opposed to far left, but not tooo far from just to the right of center).

The increasing polarization is leaving the moderate voter out in the cold, or being forced to choose between two extremes. No one seems to represent my interests, anymore.

I guess I'll have to look at the third parties? They can't win and often just serve as spoilers, so I don't know about that. I've been a reliable voter in the past, but I've not run across this situation ever in my adulthood - where neither party represents my interests or people like me.

Anyone else feel the same way?
It's frustrating because when I talk to real people in real life, it seems like most people are more moderate. I know plenty of people who lean right, plenty who lean left. And that's it. It's a lean.

The problem is that the extreme right vs the extreme left generates too much profit for politicians & media. There is far more money to be made in exploiting the extremes.

Old Today, 12:37 PM

6,627 posts, read 1,367,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
Well, in the "I side with" quiz, for myself, he scored higher than most of the other Democrat candidates (Delaney was #1 and Gabbard was #2), but he lost points with me for being in favor of Universal Basic Income. Still, I think he might be better than Trump -- maybe. But I would find it VERY difficult to vote for any candidate who supports free healthcare coverage for illegal immigrants.

Here is the quiz if anyone would like to take it for themselves. NOTE: For more accurate results, only answer those questions you actually care about.

https://www.isidewith.com/elections/...sidential-quiz

Old Today, 12:41 PM

14,211 posts, read 6,118,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Yes. All of the time! POTUS voting in a red state allows me to vote 3rd party. If that ever changes, I’ll be forced to pick one of those extremists.
Don’t think you’re in a red state anymore. If you don’t want the democrats, you better vote for Republicans in 2020 to keep Texas red. Of course, vote for democrats if that is your choice. Mine is they need to get the message about their leftward drift by losing badly in 2020.

Old Today, 12:44 PM

4,565 posts, read 898,523 times
There are plenty of places for mods. Web forums call them "moderators".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or