U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:46 PM

14,211 posts, read 6,118,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
It's frustrating because when I talk to real people in real life, it seems like most people are more moderate. I know plenty of people who lean right, plenty who lean left. And that's it. It's a lean.

The problem is that the extreme right vs the extreme left generates too much profit for politicians & media. There is far more money to be made in exploiting the extremes.
So what’s the worst you could get from the far right versus the far left? To me, the worst of the far right is going after abortion, but there’s still the Supreme Court ruling. The worst we can get with the far left is the utter destruction of our country. So it’s a no-brainer for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:47 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,910,390 times
I would love to see a strong independent candidate emerge. Bloomberg comes to mind, but he probably doesn't need the headache associated with being running for or being President.

Old Today, 12:57 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 24 days ago)

8,720 posts, read 10,854,236 times
Not on any internet political forum.

Old Today, 01:01 PM

9,996 posts, read 8,093,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Not that I'm aware -- and I try to keep current on such things. (I think that if there was such an attempt, it was probably underfunded and/or presented a candidate without much experience or name recognition. Today, I think anyone except a U.S. senator, governor, or long-term Representative would not have a hope of succeeding -- unless, like Trump, s/he was some kind of celebrity and/or a VERY wealthy businessperson.)

Oh, well, I will probably end up voting for the Libertarian candidate (again). Not my ideal, but better than Trump or the front-running (so far) Democratic candidates. However, if one of the Democrat left-wing "crazies" is selected and it appears to be close, I will probably end up hating myself and vote for Trump -- something I, until recently, vehemently insisted that I would never do.
It was internet based IIRC and there were some semi famous names put forward. It failed several months before the general. Do not remember the name. sorry.

Old Today, 01:09 PM

6,633 posts, read 3,756,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
He's a Democrat who wants to give away free money (a guaranteed universal income). ???

Old Today, 01:09 PM

26,784 posts, read 9,100,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
As a moderate, I find myself now with no party to vote for.

The Republican Party has become something that I don't recognize as even being American. But the Democrats have gone bonkers, with a race to see how far left they can go, and which one can promise to give away more free stuff, and have shifted away from representing the middle class worker.

I'm middle class, retired, and moderate (although liberal ideologically, I'm sill moderate, as opposed to far left, but not tooo far from just to the right of center).

The increasing polarization is leaving the moderate voter out in the cold, or being forced to choose between two extremes. No one seems to represent my interests, anymore.

I guess I'll have to look at the third parties? They can't win and often just serve as spoilers, so I don't know about that. I've been a reliable voter in the past, but I've not run across this situation ever in my adulthood - where neither party represents my interests or people like me.

Anyone else feel the same way?
I felt that way until Trump came along and I voted for the first time !!! For Trump and will again !!!

Sensible policy positions made all the difference !!!

Old Today, 01:11 PM

860 posts, read 322,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So what’s the worst you could get from the far right versus the far left? To me, the worst of the far right is going after abortion, but there’s still the Supreme Court ruling. The worst we can get with the far left is the utter destruction of our country. So it’s a no-brainer for me.

I agree with you. I'm Libertarian and have been so for years. It usually boils down to voting for the lessor of two evils. Last few elections I've gone Republican. Don't agree with everything they stand for but I can't in my right mind cast a vote for the Democratic platform because for lack of a better term, their views scare the daylights out of my wallet.

Old Today, 01:12 PM

129 posts, read 44,273 times
Quote:
Anyone else feel the same way?
Yes, for the most part I feel the same way. Although it's hard for me to imagine supporters of either party are completely happy with what they see these days. Both parties seem completely bonkers at times. In my opinion though, the DNC has changed more radically. And many there have moved way Left.

The obsession with political correctness and massive pandering with promises of free everything really makes you step back and wonder if they can actually win a presidential election that way. Maybe. We'll see.

The GOP has their share of issues too, I completely disagree with some of the things they keep pushing.

We all have our personal reasons for liking or disliking a politician or a political party. My reasons may be completely different from some others here. But I do feel somewhat stuck in the middle, disliking both parties at the current time.

Last edited by BlueRacer; Today at 01:29 PM..

Old Today, 01:42 PM

347 posts, read 140,845 times
Quote:
He's a Democrat who wants to give away free money (a guaranteed universal income). ???
ok, first a disclaimer
my intention isn't to cram any of my views down anybody's throat. So this is only FYI

What I wrote today on Andrew Yang thread here in subforum Elections

Two things
1. Why is Universal Basic Income right thing to do in terms of justice
2. Who does it benefit?

Big business empires Like Amazondidn't develop in the vacuum. They don't do their biz in the vacuum either. All the infrastructure - roads, powerlines etc. built and maintained by generations of people enable them to conduct their business. Workforce, customers - also people residing in the country. They should pay their fair share for using people and infrastructure. Instead they usually pay measly wages in the country with safety net that is weak in comparison with other western developed countries. On top of that, they avoid paying taxes whenever they can. Value added tax can offset this and the money from it should go directly to the citizens.

So, when Yang says that you, US citizens, are shareholders of your country, and as such, each and every grown up citizen deserves a dividend, why are there still those who don't believe him? Especially now when the gap between the richest and the rest of the country is so high. You think it is not going to get even higher in time, with further advancement in technology the speed of which is head spinning? On the other hand, think what it means for people psychologically. Would anyone think that the US has abandoned him or her, now when that same country values him or her like none other does to their citizens?

2. Yes, it does benefit large shareholders, but they are by not means the only beneficiaries

- for small, dying towns across your nation, this may be what actually saves them from dying out and many may even thrive. UBI will enable small, mainly service businesses to open, employ some people who would otherwise leave for the bigger cities where jobs are. People who would lose jobs to automation can open bakeries, restaurants, nail and hair salons, all kinds of small scale tutoring businesses, car mechanic shops etc or work in them. A town of 5000 grown-ups is having citizens with 5 M dollars a month more, which makes 60M a year. Not all that money is going to be spent there, but a large part of it would. Now, this also reduces the congestion of big cities. It can even reverse the process to a degree.

. It will also free up some more time for volunteering. People who wanted to do it but couldn't because of constraints of time or money prevented them, would now be free to contribute. This is what mentality of abundance is in contrast to mentality of scarcity - when locked in the latter you are forced to focus on your immediate survival needs which prevents you from even thinking about the needs of your community and world in general, let alone doing something about it.

- for people who have been doing the work that the system doesn't value - like carer in the family, or carer of own children, this money in their pocket gives them not only dignity and enhanced feeling of being respected, it actually gives them some cash to change their situation in the future, after the need for them as carers expire.

- for people under strained circumstances, in abusive relationships or alike, having UBI provides an easier way out of the old and into the new life. It's easier to reinvent yourself with a little than with no money.

- for people with entrepreneurial aspirations, UBI opens the possibility of having more time to plan their actions

- for everyone else, it provides you with cash to buy something you wanted for a long time but didn't get around to it - a new car, a course - education you couldn't afford, a holiday you only dreamed of

Old Today, 01:49 PM

8,822 posts, read 4,731,210 times
I feel there is moderate candidates in this election. The field is very saturated and they aren't vocal like the other candidates.

Think U.S. would benefit with more Parties and Independents in the Government. The voting process has to be reformed and campaign financing has to be reformed as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or