U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

598 posts, read 134,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
As a moderate, I find myself now with no party to vote for.

The Republican Party has become something that I don't recognize as even being American. But the Democrats have gone bonkers, with a race to see how far left they can go, and which one can promise to give away more free stuff, and have shifted away from representing the middle class worker.

I'm middle class, retired, and moderate (although liberal ideologically, I'm sill moderate, as opposed to far left, but not tooo far from just to the right of center).

The increasing polarization is leaving the moderate voter out in the cold, or being forced to choose between two extremes. No one seems to represent my interests, anymore.

I guess I'll have to look at the third parties? They can't win and often just serve as spoilers, so I don't know about that. I've been a reliable voter in the past, but I've not run across this situation ever in my adulthood - where neither party represents my interests or people like me.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Vote Libertarian. Enough votes can open the door to a third party.
Too bad that not enough take that leap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM

13,729 posts, read 5,534,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Vote Libertarian. Enough votes can open the door to a third party.
Too bad that not enough take that leap.
Libertarian = Republican. Libertarians donít have any ideas that the Republicans arenít already pushing: deregulation, free markets, reducing workers rights, tax cuts, cutting social programs, etc. The Libertarian Koch Brothers pretty much own the Republican Party.

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

8,825 posts, read 4,733,534 times
Think more Independents and Third Party Candidates need to win at the Local, State, and Federal level.

On the other side political campaign financing reform needs to occur. Federal Congress/POTUS primaries should be open to everyone. Campaign financing for Federal elections should not be funded by tax dollars or the Government. POTUS elections should be decided by RCV.

Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM

6,339 posts, read 2,696,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And if there was a working class party, they would promise and carry out harm against what they define as the "enemies of the working class" and do so, ostensibly and most disingenuously, on behalf of the working class.

In other words, even if there were such a party, voting for them would be an act of violence. You would be voting for them in order for them to do violence against others in the name of and for the benefit of the working class as you and they have agreed to define it.

No matter what, you are voting to harm others. All you really choose inside the voting booth is which people get harmed and to what degree.
There needs to be a balance of power.
There should be parties for all interests and all we have today is a corporate and wall street party.

Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM

598 posts, read 134,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Libertarian = Republican. Libertarians donít have any ideas that the Republicans arenít already pushing: deregulation, free markets, reducing workers rights, tax cuts, cutting social programs, etc. The Libertarian Koch Brothers pretty much own the Republican Party.
Not even close. They are the third largest party after the Dems/Repubs

https://ballotpedia.org/Libertarian_Party

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

591 posts, read 100,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I am hoping for a POTUS and a Congress that will work towards:

Automatic voter registration for those 18 who pay taxes or have a Social Security Card

Create a flat income tax and only tax income after it reaches $30,000

Do away with tax returns

Raise the Social Security Tax and Medicare tax. Social Security cap is $150,000.

Child care voucher's up to $10,000 a year for those that make less than $100,000 a year.

Automatic healthcare enrollment. With option to withdraw self and receive a tax rebate at the end of the year.

Universal healthcare for those in the military and over 70.

Reform FASFA. Each taxpayer is eligible for $120,00 in aid for a lifetime. Have option to use voucher to pay off any existing Student Loans. Work with private loan companies to creat flat fixed rate loans similar to a mortgage. Encourage growth of scholarships. Encourage States to offer aid and lower tuition at State school's.

Amendment abolishing the Death Penalty

Amendment making abortion illegal after 20 weeks unless for medical reasons

Do away with lobbyist in Congress

Reform political financing and only funded by the public and private means. Do away with using tax dollars to pay for campaigns.

Do away with Common Core. Create a backbone guideline for State's to follow and improve upon. Focused on subjects for different levels of schooling.

Reform minimum wage. Create formula that focus on rent, gas, and taxes. Rebate up to $4,608 for families with 4 dependents make minimum wage and up to $2.40 over minimum wage.

Legalize marijuana.

Create a Department of Mental Health and Addiction

Make undocumented imigration a Civil matter

Decriminalize illicit substances

Work with private prisons and turn over to drug rehab facilities

Create a flat businesses tax for companies.

Do away with red tape in the FDA with regards to pharmaceuticals

Support more agricultural growth and financing sustainable farming

Training for green jobs. Work towards more alternative energy sources. Work towards 2030 tapping into Nuclear fusion.

Expand the Space program.

Expand protecting natural resources and parks. Work with non profit agencies in protecting these resources.

Do away with Electoral College and Popular Vote replace with Rank Choice Voting

Reducing the size of the Federal Government and returning more power to the State's

Create Emergency Healthcare. Tax paid healthcare that covers up to $15,000. Works as uninsured who visit the emergency room or hospital can have up to $15,000 covered of health expenses. Those with insurance will cover the difference after individual used insurance.
Issues over party affiliation. I like it that way, and I'm for many of these, especially doing away with tax forms and switching to flat tax rates, plus making changes in the current system of dealing with mental health and addiction.

Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,706,422 times
Quote:

The Republican Party has become something that I don't recognize as even being American. But the Democrats have gone bonkers, with a race to see how far left they can go, and which one can promise to give away more free stuff, and have shifted away from representing the middle class worker.

I'm middle class, retired, and moderate (although liberal ideologically, I'm sill moderate, as opposed to far left, but not tooo far from just to the right of center).

The increasing polarization is leaving the moderate voter out in the cold, or being forced to choose between two extremes. No one seems to represent my interests, anymore.

I guess I'll have to look at the third parties? They can't win and often just serve as spoilers, so I don't know about that. I've been a reliable voter in the past, but I've not run across this situation ever in my adulthood - where neither party represents my interests or people like me.

It sounds to me like you want an establishment party, which the democratic party pretty much still is. What you don't seem to like is the progressive movement. Don't worry, Biden will fix that right up. He's just like Hillary, so he'll beat Trump.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

11,382 posts, read 7,355,803 times
The Democratic Party has a moderate and progressive wings. The Republican Party is more lockstep conservative.

Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

23,325 posts, read 11,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Thanks for responding (and keeping it civil!), but I am going to stick to my opinion. Of course, property taxes are collected through rents, but most people here illegally pay much less in taxes than the average middle class citizen.

While im glad to keep it civil, i really dont see how you can "stick to your opinion" here.

Rent and mortgages have nothing to do with legal status. You either pay it or get kicked out/foreclosed on; and the business owner is responsible for making sure taxes are paid based on his reported number of employees.

So the 2 things you specifically listed as your reasoning for beliving what you believe are either 100% wrong, or blaming the wrong people.

A person can be here illegally and be paying the right amount of taxes as long as all legal citizens and companies were doing the right thing.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

2,872 posts, read 1,027,260 times
Quote:

I feel the same. Neither party can win with just their base. They both need Moderates in order to win. The Dems have gone so far left that they have totally forgotten the Moderates exist. Sadly the Republicans have been getting so hung up on ideological purity that they're forgetting the Moderates too. At this point I plan to vote for Trump as he at least has some policies I agree with vs the far left crazies not having anything I agree with, but I remain open to a Moderate of any party to come along. The Dems have gone so far off the ranch that I doubt the DNC would allow a Moderate to get the nomination at this point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or