U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
20,808 posts, read 10,079,044 times
Reputation: 20250

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well, there are far too many so-called immigrant advocacy groups run by Hispanics and then there were those marches in the streets years ago. I don't know of one single Hispanic politician who isn't for amnesty for illegal aliens. If most of these illegals were Asians or some other racial/ethnic group they'd be singing a different tune. Its a very tribal culture and it trumps our immigration laws for many of them.
I would say two things about this. First, I've never discussed amnesty with anyone. They've only mentioned they do not want illegals entering the country and they support a wall or anything else that will stop the flow. They may feel differently about amnesty - I just don't know.

Second, you're correct that there are tons of advocacy groups and politicians who are Hispanic who defend illegals - but like anything else, those aren't always groups that reflect what the every day Jos wants. For every thousand who show up to protest, there may be 3,000 who didn't join them because they aren't on board with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I know people that are basically anchor babies from years ago, benefiting from it, that want this to stop.
So we've found the same thing. These people are less vocal, so they're not being recognized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM
 
37,026 posts, read 16,417,015 times
Reputation: 9958
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I would say two things about this. First, I've never discussed amnesty with anyone. They've only mentioned they do not want illegals entering the country and they support a wall or anything else that will stop the flow. They may feel differently about amnesty - I just don't know.

Second, you're correct that there are tons of advocacy groups and politicians who are Hispanic who defend illegals - but like anything else, those aren't always groups that reflect what the every day Jos wants. For every thousand who show up to protest, there may be 3,000 who didn't join them because they aren't on board with it.



So we've found the same thing. These people are less vocal, so they're not being recognized.
How does one explain why Hispanics overwhelmingly vote Democrat then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
 
Location: San Diego
35,260 posts, read 32,214,843 times
Reputation: 19802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How does one explain why Hispanics overwhelmingly vote Democrat then?
Dems talking open borders, amnesty and free crap for those here illegally. 20-30 million here are tied somehow to illegal immigration and while it affects them to the tribal mentality trumps common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,588 posts, read 22,440,666 times
Reputation: 13879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
You must really dislike some of the mega-wealthy CEOs and large corporations that pay no taxes or pay a disproportionately small amount.

You must really dislike Donald Trump, who has racked up $100 million in costs to support his frequent trips to Mar-A-Lago to play golf. If he is as rich as he says he is you would think he would reimburse the country.
You're off topic from everybody else with a little Waa! Not My Pwesident! Waa! on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Do you know how to stay on topic in here? If you want to b*tch about Trump then start another topic. No one likes CEO's that cheat the system but many times they are just following the system in place, not cheating. Trump doesn't even take a salary as president. Why aren't you and yours demanding that the Democrats fund the wall and deport illegal aliens so the greedy rich can't hire illegal aliens to fatten their wallets with their cheap labor?
Wow, I'm in synch here tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
20,808 posts, read 10,079,044 times
Reputation: 20250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How does one explain why Hispanics overwhelmingly vote Democrat then?
I actually did research for a Florida politician involving Hispanics and their voting tendencies. They vote Democrat but struggle with it because of the Dem's take on abortion. Some vote Republican but said they don't talk about it with others. Most vote Democrat because of the social issues. But they do grapple with it because they're also religious and are more pro-life than not.

You can believe in social issues and be against illegals coming into the country. There are two points that are always made by the Mexicans who have talked to me about it - illegals taking jobs and the unfairness of their relatives having to wait years to get here legally while others do it illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:03 AM
 
5,086 posts, read 2,233,188 times
Reputation: 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How does one explain why Hispanics overwhelmingly vote Democrat then?
unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:07 AM
 
5,086 posts, read 2,233,188 times
Reputation: 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I actually did research for a Florida politician involving Hispanics and their voting tendencies. They vote Democrat but struggle with it because of the Dem's take on abortion. Some vote Republican but said they don't talk about it with others. Most vote Democrat because of the social issues. But they do grapple with it because they're also religious and are more pro-life than not.

You can believe in social issues and be against illegals coming into the country. There are two points that are always made by the Mexicans who have talked to me about it - illegals taking jobs and the unfairness of their relatives having to wait years to get here legally while others do it illegally.
I worked on the railroad for 37 years. the majority of my co-workers were Mexicans. Many in the early 70's were here illegally. As time went on they became citizens or green card holders. By the early 90's most of those I knew were against illegals. You can call them hypocrites....but many actually looked down on the illegals some even calling them wetbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:09 AM
 
37,026 posts, read 16,417,015 times
Reputation: 9958
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
unions.
Unions? No they are socialists and they want amnesty for their illegal amigos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:41 AM
 
596 posts, read 101,182 times
Reputation: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I worked on the railroad for 37 years. the majority of my co-workers were Mexicans. Many in the early 70's were here illegally. As time went on they became citizens or green card holders. By the early 90's most of those I knew were against illegals. You can call them hypocrites....but many actually looked down on the illegals some even calling them wetbacks.
This always seems to happen, "I got mine, now you are trying to take it, so get out!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:46 AM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,863 posts, read 21,158,402 times
Reputation: 9424
My nephew illegally overstayed in Canada, they arrested him in the middle of a wilderness two days later and deported him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top