U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:09 PM

17,860 posts, read 8,903,412 times

Advertisements

What do they do to you if you say any, or all of those words? Cultural bullying? After speaking words and phrases for decades, how can someone just "turn off" their speech pattern? Why are all these universities limiting speech? Is there a right not to be offended? How about those whom are offended by having their speech restricted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:10 PM

14,228 posts, read 11,647,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I would say that I don't believe it, but -- unfortunately -- I do. Am I going to follow their recommendations?

Absolutely NOT!

P.S. I would also love to know why “cake walk,” “eenie meenie miney moe,” “hip hip hooray!” and “hold down the fort,” were among other words and phrases deemed non-inclusive by CSU. Perhaps because they are part of the U.S. vernacular and perhaps not known by most people who weren't born in the U.S. a long time ago? In that case -- I still say, in effect, "Baloney!" (And I'm surprised that word wasn't on the list, too!)

Eenie meeny miny moe I think I get. The original had "Catch a N***** by the toe" in it.

Old Today, 04:17 PM

826 posts, read 298,634 times
Strangely enough this is the same "institution" where one of their "educators" promoting violence against those who disagree with her politically.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13419

Old Today, 04:20 PM

137 posts, read 33,936 times
I'll use another slang word -- most (not all) of this list is a "crock."

Old Today, 04:24 PM

12,293 posts, read 8,099,601 times
Nice of you to cherry pick one sentence out of the entire description. A little more context is needed.

The Americas encompass a lot more than the United States. There is South America, Central America, Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean just to name a few of 42 countries in total. That's why the word "americano" in Spanish can refer to anything on the American continent. Yet, when we talk about "Americans" in the United States, we're usually just referring to people from the United States. This erases other cultures and depicts the United States as the dominant American country.

https://collegian.com/wp-content/upl...e_10_30_18.pdf

Old Today, 04:28 PM

40,514 posts, read 40,014,647 times
More BS from the pinhead set.

Old Today, 04:33 PM

826 posts, read 298,634 times
Quote:
The school suggests using “U.S. citizen” or “person from the U.S.” as substitutes.

OK, then we have to verify who IS and who IS NOT a U.S. Citizen so that we don't inadvertently call someone by the incorrect label and offend them? Fine by me - verify citizenship and or residency status and deport the rest!

Old Today, 04:45 PM

17,860 posts, read 8,903,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
OK, then we have to verify who IS and who IS NOT a U.S. Citizen so that we don't inadvertently call someone by the incorrect label and offend them? Fine by me - verify citizenship and or residency status and deport the rest!
Sounds like a good idea. I think the CSU people have been at the breweries in town a little too much.

Old Today, 04:46 PM

20,767 posts, read 10,064,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Nice of you to cherry pick one sentence out of the entire description. A little more context is needed.

The Americas encompass a lot more than the United States. There is South America, Central America, Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean just to name a few of 42 countries in total. That's why the word "americano" in Spanish can refer to anything on the American continent. Yet, when we talk about "Americans" in the United States, we're usually just referring to people from the United States. This erases other cultures and depicts the United States as the dominant American country.

https://collegian.com/wp-content/upl...e_10_30_18.pdf
You're actually cherry picking by taking one item out of the article instead of seeing the big picture.

Old Today, 04:50 PM

20,767 posts, read 10,064,530 times
Ever hear someone in college recite eenie meenie miney moe? Me either. Not to mention, kids replaced the N word with tiger a LONG time ago.

Starving is not okay? Freshman is not okay? Cake walk is not okay? Where are they coming up with this stuff?

"Words like 'American,' 'male,' and 'female' are used every day by billions of people around the world. When these students graduate, they're in for a rude awakening!"

Yeah they are because they'll be a bunch of whiners who are offended by common words and they won't be able to hold a job unless it's at some liberal college somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or