U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 02:09 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,701,278 times

Advertisements

Just passed 98-2 in the Senate. Paul and Lee voted no. As a former first responder to the WTC I am very happy about this. Thank you Lou Alverez. RIP! Your legacy will be the lives you saved because of all your hard work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 02:11 PM

9,599 posts, read 4,379,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Just passed 98-2 in the Senate. Paul and Lee voted no. As a former first responder to the WTC I am very happy about this. Thank you Lou Alverez. RIP! Your legacy will be the lives you saved because of all your hard work!

Old 07-23-2019, 02:52 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,095,721 times
Just asking a question here but could this turn into a huge scam of people getting benefits that do not deserve it?

I heard that the other senator that voted no wanted more over sight. With a very difficult topic like this it seems like people could take advantage of a lot of this $.

For the record I think people who need help should get it.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:13 PM

27,449 posts, read 15,844,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Almost there. What is the reason? And do you agree?

No again the tax bill didn't increase the spending. The bill that increased the spending, increased the spending.
No it wasn't all of a sudden. Anytime someone submits a bill that increases spending he always wants to offset that spending by getting rid of less important spending.

Again, you have no idea what the cost is because it hasn't been determined. You may be correct but that isn't the issue.
Again, the amendment is about oversight and accountability. The need to know how much is going to be spent and for how long.
The vote is scheduled on Tuesday. So you mean YOU aren't informed enough to know yet again.

The sky isn't falling and Rand is not the phony one here.
No because Rand Paul and Mike Lee were the only two to fight this, 98-2. 98 yehs, 2 nehs. Senators Paul and Lee were the nehs. Say what you want about oversight and accountability, but the fact of the matter compared to the expanded national debt liability of the tax bill that both Paul and Lee voted yeh on, the 10 billion (with a B) (source: WaPo) is pennies on the dollars to the 1 (source: NYT) to 2 trillion (with a T) (source: VF) for the tax bill. Paul and Lee are heartless hypocrites. I hope they get voted out because Stewart takes the fight to the polls with a PAC against the liars and selective conservatives.

As for the oversight and accountability, unlike typical government programs, in the past 18 years they are rare evidence of fraud in it. I only found one and this was from 2006 for a New Jersey truck driver (Source: Insurance Journal.) That said, I couldn't tell if that was a local compensation or the federal one from the article. Jon Stewart has claimed it is 0 (this is where my 0 stat has come from.) I know, I know, hard to believe that a government program doesn't have it, but I think that is by design. Unlike most programs, this is limited to people who lived and worked in the area or were the first respondents whether they were lost for some time and survived or rescuers going into the rubble for nearly a year afterwards. Retiredcop talked about how it is worked like a workman's comp case with needing to see a third party doctor to even get confirmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flcPLvOHfUM

FYI, I have listened to Sen. Paul but he has no place to speak. I lived on Long Island from birth until I was 19 and seven months old. I remember 9/11/2001 and how sunny it was in Westbury, NY at the high school at the bottom of the hill on my street. The sky was blackened due the sut coming from 30-40 miles away, carried by the wind. I remember going back upstate and going on the T-Neck Bridge connecting the Grand Central Parkway in Queens to the I-95 in the Bronx just two weekends later, (a weekend after the bridge ban was lifted.) The smoke was disgusting then. I forget if we went another time but the visual of the smoke still coming up and the hole in the skyline I didn't see on 9/9/01 (two days before) stuck with me all these 18 years later. He doesn't have any connection to this and instead voted on his damn stupid selective fiscal conservatism principle. He isn't principled and I'll show it.

In another
Fox News interview, Paul talked about how he wanted the fund included IN the tax bill. It wasn't and talked about how the bill needed spending cuts to coincide with it. Now if he wanted the extension IN the tax bill in the first place, why didn't he filibuster it or fight for it? Why did he just laydown and side with party over country? He don't give a damn about the heroes and he showed it again today. And Lee is just as bad for lying to Stewart and the heroes. **** you Paul! **** you Lee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I agree, but let's not forget Jon Stewart in the fight too. I'm not trying to undersell the importance of the survivors who fought and saw this day or those that died too soon to see it, but Stewart was the one banging the gong and guilting Congress to fix it before August recess after hearing the shortfall that might have frozen it 2019 and beyond. Now, anyone who would have been sick or injured due to 9/11, will get funded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Just asking a question here but could this turn into a huge scam of people getting benefits that do not deserve it?

I heard that the other senator that voted no wanted more over sight. With a very difficult topic like this it seems like people could take advantage of a lot of this $.

For the record I think people who need help should get it.
Not really, there has been one case of fraud and several scammers saying they are with the victim's fund, but that's it. As I said, the article didn't clarify if it was the federal fund (from 2001) or a local one. That was the only reported case of 9/11 victim's fund fraud by a recipient.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:37 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,701,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No because Rand Paul and Mike Lee were the only two to fight this, 98-2. 98 yehs, 2 nehs. Senators Paul and Lee were the nehs. Say what you want about oversight and accountability, but the fact of the matter compared to the expanded national debt liability of the tax bill that both Paul and Lee voted yeh on, the 10 billion (with a B) (source: WaPo) is pennies on the dollars to the 1 (source: NYT) to 2 trillion (with a T) (source: VF) for the tax bill. Paul and Lee are heartless hypocrites. I hope they get voted out because Stewart takes the fight to the polls with a PAC against the liars and selective conservatives.

As for the oversight and accountability, unlike typical government programs, in the past 18 years they are rare evidence of fraud in it. I only found one and this was from 2006 for a New Jersey truck driver (Source: Insurance Journal.) That said, I couldn't tell if that was a local compensation or the federal one from the article. Jon Stewart has claimed it is 0 (this is where my 0 stat has come from.) I know, I know, hard to believe that a government program doesn't have it, but I think that is by design. Unlike most programs, this is limited to people who lived and worked in the area or were the first respondents whether they were lost for some time and survived or rescuers going into the rubble for nearly a year afterwards. Retiredcop talked about how it is worked like a workman's comp case with needing to see a third party doctor to even get confirmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flcPLvOHfUM

FYI, I have listened to Sen. Paul but he has no place to speak. I lived on Long Island from birth until I was 19 and seven months old. I remember 9/11/2001 and how sunny it was in Westbury, NY at the high school at the bottom of the hill on my street. The sky was blackened due the sut coming from 30-40 miles away, carried by the wind. I remember going back upstate and going on the T-Neck Bridge connecting the Grand Central Parkway in Queens to the I-95 in the Bronx just two weekends later, (a weekend after the bridge ban was lifted.) The smoke was disgusting then. I forget if we went another time but the visual of the smoke still coming up and the hole in the skyline I didn't see on 9/9/01 (two days before) stuck with me all these 18 years later. He doesn't have any connection to this and instead voted on his damn stupid selective fiscal conservatism principle. He isn't principled and I'll show it.

In another
Fox News interview, Paul talked about how he wanted the fund included IN the tax bill. It wasn't and talked about how the bill needed spending cuts to coincide with it. Now if he wanted the extension IN the tax bill in the first place, why didn't he filibuster it or fight for it? Why did he just laydown and side with party over country? He don't give a damn about the heroes and he showed it again today. And Lee is just as bad for lying to Stewart and the heroes. **** you Paul! **** you Lee!

I agree, but let's not forget Jon Stewart in the fight too. I'm not trying to undersell the importance of the survivors who fought and saw this day or those that died too soon to see it, but Stewart was the one banging the gong and guilting Congress to fix it before August recess after hearing the shortfall that might have frozen it 2019 and beyond. Now, anyone who would have been sick or injured due to 9/11, will get funded.

Not really, there has been one case of fraud and several scammers saying they are with the victim's fund, but that's it. As I said, the article didn't clarify if it was the federal fund (from 2001) or a local one. That was the only reported case of 9/11 victim's fund fraud by a recipient.
Yes a big TY for Jon Stewart. He really put himself out there for the first responders. It was not just this time. He has been a voice for years!

Old 07-23-2019, 07:54 PM

10,677 posts, read 4,443,753 times
I just found out today. A young man who I coached in sports when he was a kid died last week in NJ. A former Mayor of Spotswood, NJ.
A great young man.

Was working for Con ED and a Volunteer Fire Fighter. He was at the trade center site during the clean up and passed away from the diseases related to breathing in that filthy air.

May he rest in peace.

About time those idiots in the GOP passed this thing.

Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM

7,019 posts, read 7,807,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Rand Paul was in favor of tax cuts to the rich knowing full well the deficit would balloon. He is a hypocrite on a affordability.

What sane person that had expenses higher than revenues would take action to reduce revenues even more?
Revenue went up after the tax cuts.

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Revenue went up after the tax cuts.
Not really. Revenue is down from projections for the tax years. https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxv...ay-itself-2018

Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

7,004 posts, read 2,551,982 times
Like Coburn tried in 2005 - offset your bleeding heart new spending by getting rid of less necessary old spending, or at least let's have that conversation.

Yeah, how dare anyone even suggest such a thing as fiscal sanity!! /clutches_pearls

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Like Coburn tried in 2005 - offset your bleeding heart new spending by getting rid of less necessary old spending, or at least let's have that conversation.

Yeah, how dare anyone even suggest such a thing as fiscal sanity!! /clutches_pearls
And this "bleeding heart spending" is for heroes and is necessary to cover those who stepped up in 9/11. Do you hate rescue workers who have cancer despite being told "it's safe."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies