U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM

79,516 posts, read 33,688,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So are you liberals openly rooting for a recession now? I know most of you own nothing and live off my taxes but it’s sad if you hope for failure.
You do not have to be rooting for anything to note the obvious and to note history. Is Trump's own economic adviser rooting for failure by noting that things are skewed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM

10,023 posts, read 8,101,457 times
The head of a railroad is a bit of an anomaly. Coal traffic going down is causing problems for them.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

33,094 posts, read 13,966,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
The head of a railroad is a bit of an anomaly. Coal traffic going down is causing problems for them.
Banks and railroads are in decline, might not continue but this economy has been on the upswing for a decade. Whatever goes up will come down, not hoping for a decline just pointing to many indicators.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

1,020 posts, read 176,857 times
Our economy is a phantom paper finance economy. Companies focus on stock prices and low interest rates that make borrowing free. So there is a lot of economic activity on spreadsheet but the money is never distributed onto the REAL ECONOMY.

So if your not in specific service, finance, or tech industries then you have seen little improvement in business over the past 2 years. The rest of America are treading with their heads above the water or holding steady, for now.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Our economy is a phantom paper finance economy. Companies focus on stock prices and low interest rates that make borrowing free. So there is a lot of economic activity on spreadsheet but the money is never distributed onto the REAL ECONOMY.

So if your not in the service, finance, or tech industries then you have seen little improvement in business over the past 2-3 years.
Past decade.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

1,020 posts, read 176,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Past decade.
Please add context.

If you know please share as I am no economist and would actually like to know. I personally have not heard of any major shifts to manufacturing or other sectors.

Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Please add context.

If you know please share as I am no economist and would actually like to know. I personally have not heard of any major shifts to manufacturing or other sectors.
We have actually had a major paper economy for probably 25 years now.

The paper economy, or financial economy, refers to the part of the economy that is made up of non-real or financial variables. All transactions and activities in the paper economy take place on paper, i.e., there is no exchange of real goods and services.

https://corporatefinanceinstitute.co...paper-economy/

This is not something that just started the last 2-3 years. Even if it had it would take far longer than that for the effects to show the way they do today.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

30,482 posts, read 20,126,631 times
Quote:
Which would mean thinking that we needed to lower rates would be crazy but that is what we are looking to do.
OK, how high should taxes be?

Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK, how high should taxes be?
I was speaking about interest rates. Taxes should be high enough to start paying off our debt.

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

1,752 posts, read 596,910 times
Quote:
We have actually had a major paper economy for probably 25 years now.

The paper economy, or financial economy, refers to the part of the economy that is made up of non-real or financial variables. All transactions and activities in the paper economy take place on paper, i.e., there is no exchange of real goods and services.

https://corporatefinanceinstitute.co...paper-economy/

This is not something that just started the last 2-3 years. Even if it had it would take far longer than that for the effects to show the way they do today.
We solved the scarcity problem for most consumer items a long time ago. The "paper economy" exists because we need to create a game that funnels human energy into somewhat productive things for the huge part of society that is no longer needed to provide for our collective survival.

If you want to abolish the paper economy and go back to an economy that relies upon human labor to produce necessary things, I suggest you start destroying mechanical looms. Or better yet, try to limit fossil fuel extraction as that's what keeps the plates spinning. And concurrently, shut down research into alternative energy.

I agree there is a better path than the one we are on, and better also than Luddism. But that would involve eugenics so it's a no-no for most people (whose lines would not continue under such a regime).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or