U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:06 PM
 
79,555 posts, read 33,768,450 times
Reputation: 15970

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Christopher Gadsden, the man that created it was an active and participatory character in the Trans Atlantic slave trade. Arguably one of the worst atrocities in human history. The wharf he constructed Gadsden's wharf was built to bring in slaves who were being held in quarantine on a nearby island. The fact that his flag has come to symbolize liberty, anti-authority and freedom is so ironic and idiotic that its almost beyond human comprehension. If Gadsden's flag represents anything, its the unparalleled hypocrisy and bulls**t that this nation was founded on.
Many of the original "freedom" advocates were huge hypocrites. Many still are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:31 PM
 
4,685 posts, read 1,236,827 times
Reputation: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Christopher Gadsden, the man that created it was an active and participatory character in the Trans Atlantic slave trade. Arguably one of the worst atrocities in human history. The wharf he constructed Gadsden's wharf was built to bring in slaves who were being held in quarantine on a nearby island. The fact that his flag has come to symbolize liberty, anti-authority and freedom is so ironic and idiotic that its almost beyond human comprehension. If Gadsden's flag represents anything, its the unparalleled hypocrisy and bulls**t that this nation was founded on.
Then don't fly one. But mind your own business about others who do, otherwise you look like an authoritarian bully. But maybe that is your plan after all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:35 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
14,276 posts, read 11,674,157 times
Reputation: 13327
Actually, as I look at the shirt Chris Pratt was wearing it's not a Gadsden flag. It is Old Glory with the Gadsden caption. Soooo....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:44 PM
 
Location: San Jose
2,180 posts, read 655,473 times
Reputation: 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Then don't fly one. But mind your own business about others who do, otherwise you look like an authoritarian bully. But maybe that is your plan after all?
Fly it to your hearts content I would never stop you, but realize that Gadsden flag is nothing more then a false symbol of liberty and by showcasing it, you in essence become a hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:50 PM
 
4,685 posts, read 1,236,827 times
Reputation: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Fly it to your hearts content I would never stop you, but realize that Gadsden flag is nothing more then a false symbol of liberty and by showcasing it, you in essence become a hypocrite.
You know what they say about opinions. And yours of me is none of my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 02:04 PM
 
9,417 posts, read 6,296,066 times
Reputation: 17800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The Gadsden flag is flown almost exclusively by white guys. Ironic.

Mike throws in the Red Bull-crap flag!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 02:13 PM
 
10,139 posts, read 6,346,102 times
Reputation: 8448
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I like it. Especially my Naval version with the 13 red and white stripes and the stretched out snake. And I love the caption. Don't Tread On ME. Kinda says it all. Flying astern on a warship it looks massive cool. Especially if you know what it symbolizes.


You can think what you like. This is still America (for now). But for me I love the Gadsden.
I saw the Naval version on a ship in San Diego, pretty cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 02:51 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,896 posts, read 21,173,687 times
Reputation: 9447
I recall the gadsden being used by some anti govt groups . But at what point do we allow anything they touch to become unclean? I had no idea the Betsy Ross flag, viking imagery, or gadsden flag were racist symbols until recently. All because a small number of people use it in such a way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 02:58 PM
 
Location: 130 Miles E of Sacramento
5,492 posts, read 3,313,572 times
Reputation: 3675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I'm surprised that the Left hasn't denounced angel food cake for it's "offensive religious overtones"
Leftists: Everything I don't like should be banned. Everything else should be a human right and the government should pay for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Texas
26,835 posts, read 11,260,561 times
Reputation: 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
No one cares. The irony is white guys worrying about being treaded on.
The irony is your racist comment on a thread about falsely playing the race card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top