U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do AOC and Omar help dem 2020 election chances?
Yes- we love them- they will help 26 16.77%
No- they will turn independents away 110 70.97%
Don't know 19 12.26%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 AM
 
29,772 posts, read 15,589,722 times
Reputation: 20202

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
What is your definition of moderate?

Is it moderate to deny people cancer treatment if they cant pay the treatment bill? Is it moderate to support for-profit prisons, a $7.25 minimum wage and the worst labor rights in the industrialized world?

Some people scream that AOC is an extremist who do not support this, but to me, it seems very moderate. And most Americans agree.
If most Americans felt the way you do, unions wouldn't be in so much trouble.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
29,463 posts, read 39,910,379 times
Reputation: 18885
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
They are in districts that only elect democrats and their constituents are not a reflection of America at all.

Of course they won their districts- Bin Laden and Stalin would have been elected in those districts.
Uh, they had primaries too. In AOC's case, she beat one of the stalwarts of the Democratic party, a guy who was considered a shoo-in for re-election. You think it is just the right wing kooks who are sick of the rich running this country for their own benefit. Just watch!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:31 AM
 
29,772 posts, read 15,589,722 times
Reputation: 20202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Uh, they had primaries too. In AOC's case, she beat one of the stalwarts of the Democratic party, a guy who was considered a shoo-in for re-election. You think it is just the right wing kooks who are sick of the rich running this country for their own benefit. Just watch!
What was the turnout in that district for that primary?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,391 posts, read 34,547,471 times
Reputation: 10570
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
They are in districts that only elect democrats and their constituents are not a reflection of America at all.

Of course they won their districts- Bin Laden and Stalin would have been elected in those districts.
LOL. They first had to beat out the other Dems competing for the same seat

You need to figure out how things work in US. Start with the basics.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:33 AM
 
29,772 posts, read 15,589,722 times
Reputation: 20202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
LOL. They first had to beat out the other Dems competing for the same seat

You need to figure out how things work in US. Start with the basics.
With a 13% turnout, it's easy for an extremist to win.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:33 AM
 
13,003 posts, read 4,704,618 times
Reputation: 5310
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If most Americans felt the way you do, unions wouldn't be in so much trouble.
That's very naive. Labor unions were extremely weak in the first half of the 19th century as well. It doesnt mean that people didnt feel strongly about standing up for themselves and organizing. Polls today show very clearly that the working class are very supportive as well. But propaganda is a very powerful tool and it is very easy to distract people with meaningless nonsense that doesnt affect their lives.

If you really think a lone ranger can succeed against a well equipped platoon, which is what organized capital is, you're delusional. The ruling class certainly knows the threat organized labor is to their total power over the economy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
29,463 posts, read 39,910,379 times
Reputation: 18885
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What was the turnout in that district for that primary?
I don't know and it is irrelevant anyway. What was the turnout in the midwest where Trump eked out wins. The people who speak are the only ones who matter in the end. Silence is not golden when it comes to voting.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:35 AM
 
13,003 posts, read 4,704,618 times
Reputation: 5310
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
With a 13% turnout, it's easy for an extremist to win.
Actually, a low turnout system generally favors big money interests, thats why almost the entire Congress is bought and paid for.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:37 AM
 
29,772 posts, read 15,589,722 times
Reputation: 20202
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
That's very naive. Labor unions were extremely weak in the first half of the 19th century as well. It doesnt mean that people didnt feel strongly about standing up for themselves and organizing. Polls today show very clearly that the working class are very supportive as well. But propaganda is a very powerful tool and it is very easy to distract people with meaningless nonsense that doesnt affect their lives.

If you really think a lone ranger can succeed against a well equipped platoon, which is what organized capital is, you're delusional. The ruling class certainly knows the threat organized labor is to their total power over the economy.
Sorry, but the majority of America has rejected unions.

It's only government employee unions and those made of people in unskilled jobs keeping unions barely relevant.

Middle class America has rejected them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
29,463 posts, read 39,910,379 times
Reputation: 18885
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sorry, but the majority of America has rejected unions.

It's only government employee unions and those made of people in unskilled jobs keeping unions barely relevant.

Middle class America has rejected them.
And it is one of the principal reasons that middle class America is suffering so much. They got snookered by the GOP who preached divisiveness to rob them of their livelihoods.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top