U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do AOC and Omar help dem 2020 election chances?
Yes- we love them- they will help 26 16.77%
No- they will turn independents away 110 70.97%
Don't know 19 12.26%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:30 PM
 
Location: So Cal
40,618 posts, read 40,154,838 times
Reputation: 42039

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Unions served a purpose at one time.

But they have outlived their usefulness.

Almost everything Unions do today is covered under other laws, regulations and various government agencies.

I've had the displeasure of working with union members, and I can say that they are absolutely the laziest, most self centered and entitled bunch of pantywaists I've ever seen.

If I acted the way they do on a job site, I'd be fired in a heartbeat.

And rightly so.

Yep, the government union workers are the worst. I've worked with non-government union works and they've been great.

My job for the last 30 years has put me in contact with both government union workers and the non-government union workers and I've rarely had good experiences with the government workers, I mean to the point of aggravation.


Unions did serve a purpose at one point, no doubt about it. Today, I don't think they do nearly that much. In my opinion of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:30 PM
 
2,797 posts, read 927,948 times
Reputation: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Libs-

With disapproval rates in the 90% range, do you really think that having Omar and AOC front and center for the dem party is favorable to your cause?

So- honest question- do you think that AOC and Omar help or hurt the democrat cause and their election chances in 2020?
I'd bet my bottom dollar that if you polled the 18 - 35 year olds they'd have the highest approval ratings

And if you polled the 36 - 90 year olds, they'd have the lowest approval ratings.

I think these two women appeal to the younger generation the most.

Ironic because the Dem libs have been trying vigorously over the past 10 or so years to get college aged kids out in mass numbers to the voting booths for their vote. I wouldn't be surprised if these young energetic "freshmen" politicians brought in lots more votes and support then expected, for this reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:30 PM
 
6,474 posts, read 3,621,536 times
Reputation: 7383
These threads are dumb. It only matters how their constituents feel about them. The rest of America has NO SAY in whether they are re-elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,237 posts, read 83,964,031 times
Reputation: 41999
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
AOC is a future democratic nominee, and possibly a future president. The media love her.
Media loves her: yes, she is fun and gives them something to talk and write about: the public, does not share that view and it is very unlikely she will ever be a presidentual nominee. She is another Maxine Waters only maybe more annoying and far out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,237 posts, read 83,964,031 times
Reputation: 41999
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I'd bet my bottom dollar that if you polled the 18 - 35 year olds they'd have the highest approval ratings

And if you polled the 36 - 90 year olds, they'd have the lowest approval ratings.

I think these two women appeal to the younger generation the most.

Ironic because the Dem libs have been trying vigorously over the past 10 or so years to get college aged kids out in mass numbers to the voting booths for their vote. I wouldn't be surprised if these young energetic "freshmen" politicians brought in lots more votes and support then expected, for this reason.
Well let's just say, sad as it is, most 18 year olds do not vote, but if you are anywhere near right and based on the few 18 to 35 year olds I know who are educated you are wrong. AS for AOC she probably would poll better than some but I don't care what you age, anyone who has any real knowledge of politics or what keeps our country going in the right direction could not possibly support Omar. She is mean, hateful, racist who can hardly speak in public even with notes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:48 PM
 
968 posts, read 211,753 times
Reputation: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I'd bet my bottom dollar that if you polled the 18 - 35 year olds they'd have the highest approval ratings

And if you polled the 36 - 90 year olds, they'd have the lowest approval ratings.

I think these two women appeal to the younger generation the most.

Ironic because the Dem libs have been trying vigorously over the past 10 or so years to get college aged kids out in mass numbers to the voting booths for their vote. I wouldn't be surprised if these young energetic "freshmen" politicians brought in lots more votes and support then expected, for this reason.
That's because the 18-35 crowd hear "free this and free that" along with "the rich will pay for it" while the 36-90 year olds know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:49 PM
 
5,250 posts, read 1,311,602 times
Reputation: 4084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They won their elections by getting the most votes and with no foreign enemies helping them, so at least they are liked in their own districts. As for the country, most Americans, who don't spend the day glued to right wing media, had never heard of them until Trump directed racist remarks at them. Now they are sympathetic persons to most Americans.
Oh, please. George Soros funded AOC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:50 PM
 
6,474 posts, read 3,621,536 times
Reputation: 7383
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I'd bet my bottom dollar that if you polled the 18 - 35 year olds they'd have the highest approval ratings

And if you polled the 36 - 90 year olds, they'd have the lowest approval ratings.

I think these two women appeal to the younger generation the most.

Ironic because the Dem libs have been trying vigorously over the past 10 or so years to get college aged kids out in mass numbers to the voting booths for their vote. I wouldn't be surprised if these young energetic "freshmen" politicians brought in lots more votes and support then expected, for this reason.
You do know that in the last Primary Sanders got the highest support among Millennials. He is old enough to be their Grandpa. His age certainly wasn't the attraction, but his Socialist Democratic position was. The "Squad" and their Progressive Democrats are similar to Socialist Democrats.

My 35 year old daughter calls herself a Socialist Democrat. 40 year old (Gen X) daughter voted the same as we did last election. She especially likes AOC since she herself is from NYC and is married to a woman of Puerto Rican ancestry,

I'm 70, former Independent in my younger days, and would go with Progressive Democrat today. We all voted for Sanders, then switched to Hillary. I LIKE these women. As we used to say in my day, You Go, Girls!

Edit: Ignore we women at your peril whether we be suburban Moms (my daughters) or Seniors. The "Democrats" didn't have to get my daughters out to vote when they were in college. MOM did and even drove one of them. Blame ME then, fool.

Last edited by Jo48; 07-18-2019 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:53 PM
 
Location: NC
7,119 posts, read 5,012,348 times
Reputation: 7883
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Every party has "undesirables", but AOC and Omar are setting a new standard for scary, crazy politicians that strike fear into normal people. Open borders, communism and Muslim terrorists- that will play well!
If this were happening before 2016 you would be right, but they are not breaking any new ground now.

As to the original question, I don't like AOC and I really don't know much about Omar, other than the lies that have been spread about her. When I look them up, the truth is that she's not what Trump claims. I don't know what she "is", but I do know that they picture he is painting of her is inaccurate.

That said, I don't particularly like either of them, I think they both are too far left, and their positions are too extreme for America. I say the same thing about Bernie and also about Trump. For all of them (even including Trump), I am glad that we live in a country where they have a voice. I think that all of them have some valid points mixed in with their crazy (even Trump), and if America could get away from the polarization that we have today, maybe we could all find some middle ground.

Problem is they all (all of them, all sides) seem to have such extreme positions that their opposition feels compelled to strike back. Whether you are a liberal striking against Trump, or a conservative striking against AOC, or a Trump supporter striking back against human decency, we all feel compelled to dig in. I often find myself defening AOC or Omar, not because I like them, but because someone painted them as something they are not.

Do I like them? No
Do I hate them? No
Do they represent a part of America? Yes
Do they deserve a voice? Yes
Should we do everything they say? Absolutely not
Should they be sent back to where they came? Not even dignifying that racist comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Texas
35,403 posts, read 19,408,514 times
Reputation: 21020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Libs-

Do you think most Americans like AOC and Omar?
Nope

They're too far out towards the fringe.

Just like Louie Gohmert or Steve King for the GOP.

But they'll keep getting re-elected as long as their districts approve.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top