U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:04 AM

5,488 posts, read 6,912,030 times

Advertisements

Just another example of the half hearted financial support of Obamacare. Dems talk Obamacare up, but do little to financially support it by removing a revenue stream for it. Repubs took away the individual mandate revenue.

The question is if Dems don't want their union base to pay just a small tax for their exceptional health insurance, how in God's name will they sell having to pay a good chunk of their salary to pay for Medicare for all via a new Federal tax?

The disconnect is astounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:07 AM

598 posts, read 134,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Just another example of the half hearted financial support of Obamacare. Dems talk Obamacare up, but do little to financially support it by removing a revenue stream for it. Repubs took away the individual mandate revenue.

The question is if Dems don't want their union base to pay just a small tax for their exceptional health insurance, how in God's name will they sell having to pay a good chunk of their salary to pay for Medicare for all via a new Federal tax?

The disconnect is astounding.
There was no revenue stream. That tax didn't come in effect until 2022.

Old Today, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
There was no revenue stream. That tax didn't come in effect until 2022.
Yes, it was delayed to appease the unions and insurers. My point still stands, they passed a law and then hindered the law from succeeding.
Meanwhile premiums and deductibles are still going up every year making the costs unaffordable. That tax would have helped make the system more solvent.

Old Today, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Yes, it was delayed to appease the unions and insurers. My point still stands, they passed a law and then hindered the law from succeeding.
Meanwhile premiums and deductibles are still going up every year making the costs unaffordable. That tax would have helped make the system more solvent.
And those Democrats in Congress have done NOTHING since passing ACA except to repeal parts of it.

Why haven't they taken this up to modify it to fix it ?

They passed it and then forgot about it and don't talk about it anymore.

Old Today, 08:25 AM

Quote:
And those Democrats in Congress have done NOTHING since passing ACA except to repeal parts of it.

Absolutely. It is also so frustrating to see these candidates show their lack of understanding the health care system. Tired of these parasites who get their insurance off the govt teat. Make them purchase their own unsubsidized plans off the marketplace and I bet things would change quickly.

Old Today, 08:26 AM

9,504 posts, read 2,337,643 times
Quote:
Every politician is "on your side" until they get voted into office.

In case you haven't noticed big money runs the government these days.
And big money owns both parties.
Look for politicians who refuse PAC support, or refuse large corporate donations.

These will be the ones who actually spend more time in, or traveling to, town halls and less time at the phone bank.

Old Today, 08:40 AM

9,504 posts, read 2,337,643 times
Quote:
Quote:

I think you are mistaken.

The last six years of the Obama administration, the Republicans opposed every measure to improve or strengthen the Affordable Care Act system. The Republican goal, of course, was to kill it off.

Democratic proposed legislation was not allowed for a floor vote, so no improvements nor corrections were allowed. Changes that did happen through congress were primarily whatever the Republicans wanted to happen.

I think the best idea was the one Democrats were too intimidated to try at the time the ACA was proposed: extending the age range for Medicare. It's brilliant. They could start by lowering the qualifying age to 55, then 45, then who knows ... maybe to birth?

Medicare works, and it has the potential to reduce drug costs for millions of Americans through massive purchasing power. When the program first began it was envisioned as a plan for everyone, but politics and big money pharma and insurers blocked that idea decades ago. The time is now.

Old Today, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

The last six years of the Obama administration, the Republicans opposed every measure to improve or strengthen the Affordable Care Act system. The Republican goal, of course, was to kill it off.

Democratic proposed legislation was not allowed for a floor vote, so no improvements nor corrections were allowed. Changes that did happen through congress were primarily whatever the Republicans wanted to happen.

I think the best idea was the one Democrats were too intimidated to try at the time the ACA was proposed: extending the age range for Medicare. It's brilliant. They could start by lowering the qualifying age to 55, then 45, then who knows ... maybe to birth?

Medicare works, and it has the potential to reduce drug costs for millions of Americans through massive purchasing power. When the program first began it was envisioned as a plan for everyone, but politics and big money pharma and insurers blocked that idea decades ago. The time is now.
They could have altered both Medicare and medicaid. Those 2 are owned by the government.
Charge premiums for those that don't qualify under the rules.

Two existing health insurance plans already in effect.
Everyone else with insurance would not have been impacted at all.

Old Today, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

I did not absolve the Republicans from their share of the blame. You should do the same for the Democrats. The Cadillac tax delay was a big part of the problem of not properly funding Obamacare. They had control of Congress at the time but refused to make a Medicare option due to lobbying money received by the insurance industry.
Currently only 1 Democratic candidate is in favor of strengthening Obamacare. The rest of in favor of eliminating it, so I don't see the Democratic support you see.

Old Today, 08:50 AM

39,321 posts, read 20,390,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I am no fan of Democrats but I don't understand your post. Even the majority of Democrats voted to repeal this tax. Wonder who the 6 who didn't were?
The tax will be levied on insurance companies, but the burden will likely be passed on to workers in the form of lower wages.

Yes it would be passed on just like employers passed on some of the increase of Obamacare to their employees. I am no fan of Democrats either but just as an increase in taxes any type effectively reduces spendable income (by increasing expenses) so with this tax. Yes, taxes are an expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or