U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 05:35 AM
TKO

3,224 posts, read 3,172,334 times

Advertisements

Give Bibi some time. He'll do away with that commie nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 05:36 AM

7,216 posts, read 5,054,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Who is "we"?

Make your own money and keep it/spend it as you see fit.
Hmmm, so you are saying we should cut all aid to Israel. By Trump-base standards that would make you an anti-Semite. You can let us know if that's what you are or not.

(Personally, I believe that if we cut all aid, and made countries make their own money, we'd live in a less safe world. Sometimes being the richest nation, or the riches person means you have to help others along a little bit, even if it's only for your own ultimate good. Applies at all levels)

Old 07-24-2019, 05:42 AM

7,216 posts, read 5,054,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I dunno..might be due to economy of scale ? 8 million vs 330 million + 20-30 million illegals ?
Study done on medicare for all has it starting at $30 trillion and going up to $56 trillion.
Where are we going to get that kind of money ?
I don't speak for the OP, but maybe that was the point of his thread? Start with (as the Trump base says) taking care of our own? I think the other point is "why do we support these social agendas in other countries but not our own? Why would we pay for them to do this, but refuse to pay for our own citizens to get the same?

No matter what you think 'we' should be doing, I think OP has a point. It seems we allow different values systems, based on what, convenience? IDK, I guess we'd have to ask those that support abortion and universal healthcare in Israel, and who are happy to send their money to support it, but are so against doing the same here in USA, we'd have to ask them why that is. Anyone have an answer?

Old 07-24-2019, 05:44 AM

37,809 posts, read 16,367,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I admire Israel for their commitment to level the playing field so that all citizens have equal opportunity, not just the rich. Basic human needs like healthcare and education are taken care of.

That said, why can't we offer our own citizens these kinds of things?
"Basic human needs like healthcare and education are taken care of."
WE have proven over and over we are not capable to handle these things.

Look at the "free" services now being given to vets. The VA is, and has been run terribly. if we can't do health care for a few hundred thousand, how do you expect to be able to handle 240 MILLION?

There isn't a single gov't agency tha is NOT full of Waste, Fraud and Abuse, Now multiply that by the 240 MILLION.

We provide "free" education through high school. Is EVER public school putting out educated young people?

Secondly, there is NO language in the Constitution to proved these services.

States do education and license health care providers to health care work.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:03 AM

9,629 posts, read 4,927,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I don't speak for the OP, but maybe that was the point of his thread? Start with (as the Trump base says) taking care of our own? I think the other point is "why do we support these social agendas in other countries but not our own? Why would we pay for them to do this, but refuse to pay for our own citizens to get the same?

No matter what you think 'we' should be doing, I think OP has a point. It seems we allow different values systems, based on what, convenience? IDK, I guess we'd have to ask those that support abortion and universal healthcare in Israel, and who are happy to send their money to support it, but are so against doing the same here in USA, we'd have to ask them why that is. Anyone have an answer?
The U.S. doesn't give military aid to Israel because of or despite of its domestic policy. Israel could ban abortion today and still get the aid. Countries without those domestic policies also receive military or economic aid from the U.S.. We don't have universal healthcare, free abortion, etc. because not enough voters or elected officials want those things.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:35 AM

11,263 posts, read 10,320,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No one ever asks that question when it comes to $150 million dollar drones, $600 million dollar embassies (Baghdad), billions to defend Europe, Korea and Japan, or the $6 trillion already blown in Iraq and Afghanistan. Never heard a single right winger ask “how do you plan to pay for it?” The money is ALWAYS found. Not to mention the cost of tax cuts.

But mention something that actually helps real American people unlike dumbass Middle Eastern wars and tax cuts for corporations, the right wing refrain is always concerning the cost.

I know how we’ll pay for it though. Get the money from the same source you found that drone money.
I want to point out, that I wasn’t the one who brought up the funding of these programs. The person I was responding to, did.

I was just pointing out the obvious fallacy in his funding plan. If we just want to implement it, and let the chips fall where they may, fine. But if you are going to propose a plan to fund it, at least let it be somewhat realistic. Otherwise, it is just political rhetoric.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:45 AM

11,801 posts, read 8,573,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
Every person who is for an expanded welfare state in the United States is usually the same type of person that is for "easier immigration."

They don't seem to understand that the two cannot co-exist peacefully for long. Israel is very restrictive on immigration. They can sustain a welfare state.

People who want every poor person in the world to have the opportunity to "make it in America because we are a nation of immigrants" don't understand that it would cripple the social services in this country. Already there is disproportionate burden on the system because of illegals and the children of illegals.

(People aren't smart enough to understand that when illegals have four kids IN AMERICA, the KIDS are entitled to welfare, even if the parents, technically, are not. So anytime you hear that argument the person making it is either ignorant to the real world, or purposely be obtuse to confuse and spread disinformation).
And they don't even add in the 10K a year per kid it takes to educate their kids. Add in free breakfast and lunch and we are talking serious money.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:00 AM

3,710 posts, read 1,604,022 times
Quote:
I admire Israel for their commitment to level the playing field so that all citizens have equal opportunity, not just the rich. Basic human needs like healthcare and education are taken care of.

That said, why can't we offer our own citizens these kinds of things?
Too harsh to say US doesnt have them. Education is still available without paying a dime.

I am also very intrested to know how much the banks charge in Israel. nominal interest or the outrageous interest rates that feed off the poor. ( And many banks are run by them in USA and want to see if the double standard exists).

Old 07-24-2019, 09:07 AM

6,443 posts, read 6,739,730 times
Quote:
We send them billion$, yet we supposedly can't take care of our own.

Universal healthcare, free abortion, subsidized college tuition! If Israel can do it, and we respect Israel so much, why can't we?
Partly because some here are trying make tens of millions here illegally “our” own.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:29 PM

51,001 posts, read 27,037,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Give Bibi some time. He'll do away with that commie nonsense.
LOL...they’d toss him from office in a nanosecond if he even dreams about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I want to point out, that I wasn’t the one who brought up the funding of these programs. The person I was responding to, did.

I was just pointing out the obvious fallacy in his funding plan. If we just want to implement it, and let the chips fall where they may, fine. But if you are going to propose a plan to fund it, at least let it be somewhat realistic. Otherwise, it is just political rhetoric.
Okay. Fair enough. I respect that POV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies