Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 09:33 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Greed is why we do just about everything.
Only in the world of Gordon Gecko.

Main Entry: greed
Pronunciation: \ˈgrēd\
Function: noun
Etymology: back-formation from greedy
Date: 1609
: a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed

Quote:
Most upper end predators (and we're at the top of the list) have at least some concept of "mine".
Actually, most advanced social animals (humans included) have an even more important concept, "ours." The cognition that without the ability to provide for the group the individual cannot exist.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:00 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
Obviously you read into everything - I stated, you asked, I didn't respond to that. If you have no idea what they are, since to you it's greed and a pretty crappy explanation and narrowminded - and I never insinuated who you voted for.

it's people like you that easily can be sampled for the explanation of why this country is in the ditch. You remove any possibility of ethics, pride, etc from the equation. I'll remember the next time I go visit my mother it's because I'm motivated by greed......

amazing since you are such a genius lets see if you can guess the word that completes the sentence about you that is in my mind.... if you guessed moron or idiot give yourself a gold star....... I'm done with your BS. I have no time for the clueless.
In other words, you are stating...

"Got nothin so I'll just throw insults".

So noted.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

: a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed

Actually, most advanced social animals (humans included) have an even more important concept, "ours." The cognition that without the ability to provide for the group the individual cannot exist.
Think Rockefeller was concerned with "ours"?

Old 11-25-2009, 10:16 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
And one more curiosity about your post;

Quote:
I'm happy to hear your explaination....
Appeared at the beginning of your paragraph and...

Quote:
I'm done looking at your posts....
was at the end.

So which is it? Hard to think straight when you get flustered and realize you're grasping at straws, eh?

Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
I'd suggest you re-read what you just wrote since it supports exactly what I just said. It goes back to self preservation even according to your own argument.

I don't know about you but I'm not discussing the definition of greed but the nature of greed. Apparently you missed that so I just thought I'd remind you.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:51 AM

Greed - good.
Unregulated greed - bad.

Secessionists and revolutionaries are an example of Bad Greed. They don't want to share the country with people of opposing views. From what I can tell, they have no idea that Utopia cannot be found in a world of like-minded people who all agree with them.

"Mine, mine, mine, mine..." they shout in shrill vioces.

Bad Secessionists! Now be nice and share.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:34 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:

This is only true in relatively small tribal communities. Animals care not what happens outside of their tribe, and will often eat the other tribes' lunch when necessary, ergo the "greed". The one important thing to remember is that tribe size does not scale, similar to how mainframes fail miserably when a large amount of nodes are connected to this centralized and socialized form of computing. The fact that socialized countries are amassing significant deficits and are ultimately self-defeating is evidence of this. The Roman Empire, for example, failed because of the transition from Republic to Social Democracy.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:44 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
I know it is ours, but let me get mine first and I'll save you a little piece....
There is always a totem pole theory with everything on earth, including dirt and rocks.

If your on the bottom of the totem pole, your only going to get a little tiny bit.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:07 AM

316 posts, read 1,036,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
And one more curiosity about your post;

Appeared at the beginning of your paragraph and...

was at the end.

So which is it? Hard to think straight when you get flustered and realize you're grasping at straws, eh?
in your small amount of time in reality look up the word - Sarcasm

Old 11-27-2009, 10:09 AM

316 posts, read 1,036,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
In other words, you are stating...

"Got nothin so I'll just throw insults".

So noted.
that would be YOUR interpretation. got a lot - have no need for people like yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies