U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 03:43 PM

7,340 posts, read 4,256,190 times

Advertisements

Yep, the solution is to kill the demand. But lobbyists are filling Republican coffers just like Democrats.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:48 PM

10,799 posts, read 13,720,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Who is it, exactly, that's giving those jobs to illegals over American workers?

Hint...

Don't disagree, but either way shutting off the jobs means brown people are going to be hurt, and that also will be determined to be racist by someone on the left. Bank on it.

The government looked the other way at this problem (both sides) for decades.

Enforcing the laws is going to hurt some people who didn't do anything "evil", they just came here to work. But they should have never been allowed to in the first place.

What happens if tomorrow every landscaping or construction company in the northeast has to show their employees on site are legal? You'd have a lot of very desperate central American Men on your hands in very a short period of time.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:27 PM

10,531 posts, read 8,478,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
How much of your own money have you donated to address this problem? How much of your own money have you donated to help U.S. citizens who are homeless and/or needy?

We do not have infinite resources and it is neither possible nor our job to take care of every human being on the planet. You need to grow up.
I sent $500 to RAICES, a Texas nonprofit which offers pro bono legal assistance when the story broke, several weeks ago, to help deal with the back-up at the border, so people's cases can be processed more quickly and either be granted asylum or residency or told they cannot enter. Fewer people waiting at the border will help the terrible overcrowding.

I have served on and contribute financially to my church's Missions Committee, and give regularly to the Salvation Army. I donate to Heifer International, whose good works assist in helping poor folks in other countries do better, and thus stay in their countries of origin. I give to the Red Cross. I support and advocate for Reece's Rainbow and Bible Orphan Ministry.

That's for starters. What do YOU do?

I am in my 73rd year and live quite independently, actively, and successfully, so I think I've grown up. I hope I will always continue to grow in wisdom, knowledge, compassion, and judgment, of course. I also worked professionally with kids and families for almost 30 years, so issues concerning children also concern me.

No one is claiming we have infinite resources or that it is our job to take care of everyone on earth. That's your accusation, and it's untrue.

But those of us who try to follow Christ's teachings know who our neighbors, brothers and sisters are.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:52 PM

13,186 posts, read 6,289,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So he got a job and a raise? Poor him? Job economies are also local. You should be willing to relocate. There's an abundance of jobs out there.

Just built a house last year. A lot of Russian/Ukrainians of unknown immigration status(and no command of English so I could chat with them) but also plenty of white Americans who've been in the industry for decades doing the more skilled finish work. It's estimated between 15-25% of construction jobs are taken by illegal immigrants. A problem yes, but hardly the whole industry. And those numbers are down since the recession/housing bust.

Can you point to anything that indicates the population is up? Other than just your common sense reckoning?
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...on-in-the-u-s/

It's nice to know that you can easily up and move for a job. However, most people can't easily do that for a number of reasons. As I said, if there is "an abundance of jobs out there, then job seekers would be fielding several offers. That is not happening.

It's common sense when talking about the population of illegals to realize that there are more than 11 million of them. Even you can figure it all out. Once again, for the umpteenth time, everyday illegals sneak across the border or overstay a visa. Over time that sure adds up.

As for construction work---that's not what it is like where we are. A couple of years back, we did some remodeling on our house. The construction supervisor was of Hispanic descent. We got to talking. At the time he and his wife had purchased a house in a new development and were waiting for it to be completed. He was shocked to find out that the same builder who built our house was the one building his. Our house was so much better built. He talked about regularly visiting the construction site at his new place and every time he was there, he discovered big problems. Since he was bilingual, he said he would talk to the illegals doing work on the site. A guy doing drywall told him that he was being paid 10 cents per sheet of drywall he hung. Another guy who was painting the interiors of the houses (townhouses) said he was being paid $100 per every 3 houses he did. He asked both guys why they put up with poor pay. One of them said if he quit, there would be a dozen guys waiting to take his place.

It's a good example of how honest contractors can't compete with the sleazy ones who hire illegals and pay under the table.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:21 PM

7,340 posts, read 4,256,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

It's nice to know that you can easily up and move for a job. However, most people can't easily do that for a number of reasons. As I said, if there is "an abundance of jobs out there, then job seekers would be fielding several offers. That is not happening.
It is, just maybe not in your one example...and even then he still got a job. I have headhunters coming after me daily. Workforce mobility has long been a staple of our country.

Quote:
It's common sense when talking about the population of illegals to realize that there are more than 11 million of them. Even you can figure it all out. Once again, for the umpteenth time, everyday illegals sneak across the border or overstay a visa. Over time that sure adds up.

As for construction work---that's not what it is like where we are. A couple of years back, we did some remodeling on our house. The construction supervisor was of Hispanic descent. We got to talking. At the time he and his wife had purchased a house in a new development and were waiting for it to be completed. He was shocked to find out that the same builder who built our house was the one building his. Our house was so much better built. He talked about regularly visiting the construction site at his new place and every time he was there, he discovered big problems. Since he was bilingual, he said he would talk to the illegals doing work on the site. A guy doing drywall told him that he was being paid 10 cents per sheet of drywall he hung. Another guy who was painting the interiors of the houses (townhouses) said he was being paid $100 per every 3 houses he did. He asked both guys why they put up with poor pay. One of them said if he quit, there would be a dozen guys waiting to take his place.

It's a good example of how honest contractors can't compete with the sleazy ones who hire illegals and pay under the table.
Again, kill the demand for illegal labor and the problem goes away. Much more effectively than trying to enforce immigration directly.

Also simply an appeal to common sense is a logical fallacy. How about backing it up with well anything. Do you deny that there was a net decrease starting in 08? Everyone just stays forever? Why do you assert that?

Old 07-19-2019, 05:37 PM

35,379 posts, read 19,388,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

Again, kill the demand for illegal labor and the problem goes away. Much more effectively than trying to enforce immigration directly.

^^^

This x 10

Old 07-19-2019, 05:38 PM

46,145 posts, read 34,205,178 times
I DK anyone who thinks illegal immigration is “right”.

I know many small businesses and households who employ/ engage undocumented people.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:48 PM

9,916 posts, read 21,191,376 times
For Liberals who do support illegal immigration (not all do) it's the following

1. Guilt that the West is so much richer than other areas and the belief that the West got rich by unethically exploiting other parts of the world. It's only fair that people exploited can at least migrate to rich nation that made the poor.

2. Belief that the right is so evil any means to get them out of power should be used, mass immigration from third world is most efficient means of doing so.

3. Belief that most illegal immigrants are good people who simply wanted a better life, just like their own ancestors

4. (Less common but growing) Belief that the West is inherently evil and people from other parts of the world should come in and build a new society, completely destroying the old society.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:07 PM

1,148 posts, read 585,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post

I won't lie. If someone feels slapped in the face over the good fortune of another, they could use a day or two at a Buddhist retreat to learn about peace. But if that is the worst of their problems, I think they are doing ok.
What a joke.

Do you have any idea how long and arduous the immigration process is for those who emigrate here the legal way? Any idea at all??

This is another things liberals don't get, many of those legal immigrants will vote Republican.

I can tell you right now if it were me who went through the million steps to become a US citizen the right way, I'd be furious how democrats encourage illegals to just walk right in.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:25 PM

3,910 posts, read 3,051,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I have traveled to multiple countries in my day and always felt like I was a guest in somebody else's home. It is insane to me, that people come here and think that they don't have to obey our immigration laws.

So no, I don't know why people think they can come to the United States illegally and then march around demanding the rights of citizens. That's not how immigration works anywhere in the world.

The people who are coming here and applying for asylum are following the law. Asylum confers a temporary legal status to be in the US.

People who sneak across the border and elude detection obviously have not followed the law, however the mere fact they are inside the jurisdiction of the United States and/or its Territories grants them the same protection(s) under the Constitution as everyone else. US Constitution does not distinguish between citizens and non citizens. Except in very minor instances such as the right to hold elective office.

Its really as simple as that. Nothing more nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or