U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 07:38 PM

2,106 posts, read 2,169,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
The thousands of folks now in "cages" or waiting in Mexico right now are not trying to be illegal aliens or undocumented immigrants. They started their relationship with the United States by presenting themselves to border patrol agents as asylum seekers. They presented whatever paperwork they had to prove their identities and citizenship. They are doing something entirely legal, something they have a right to do under US law: applying for asylum. The current problem is NOT what you are outlining here.

Regarding those who do not go through a legal process, my grandmother was an immigrant from Norway. Having taken a ship to Canada, and traveled to the border with North Dakota, she presented herself to border patrol in a completely legal process. She was NOT applying for asylum, she just wanted to live in the US. (She was 16, and alone.) She was processed and allowed in, because back then, no paperwork was needed, no judge needed to rule, and there were not quotas for immigrants. Anyone could get in, as long as they were not sick or a criminal. It is when we stopped that process of admitting people wanting a new life that we forced people to sneak over at night, avoiding, rather than approaching the border patrol.

I think our first priority regarding immigration should be to actually pass legislation that establishes policy. How many asylum seekers will we admit each year, and from what countries. How is asylum managed?
As for economic immigration, how many will be admitted to work in the US? What about their families? There is a huge difference between criminals/terrorists getting in and regular people wanting to immigrate. How is that difference going to be handled? Somehow, we have lost the ability to establish laws governing immigration. This is not just a Trump problem. Obviously, many administrations have come up dry on this one.

The biggest problem I see right now, is that Trump has sought to paint all immigrants, whether seeking asylum or seeking a job, as dangerous, undesirable, and less than human, especially if their skin is dark. (Remember him saying that we would take people from Norway, but not sh****** countries?) THAT is what I object to. He is cruel and inhumane. He does not see the people forced to leave extreme danger in Central America a normal people, but as "the other." He ignores their desire to protect their children, and worse, he separates families and does not mind children being abused in the name of the US. He exploits people in misery by scapegoating many US problems onto them. That is why these people are being seen by many of us as victims. Because they have been victimized in their own countries, then, having turned to the US for shelter, are being victimized again. His behavior is unethical, unchristian, uncaring, and sometimes, illegal.
What a bunch of crocodile tears horse s**t. Asylum from what? I vote to take in the Kurds in Syria and from Iraq. They have been fierce warriors in the fight against ISIS. They have no country of their own. And they love America and they don't join gangs, And they reside in war zones. We cannot take in zillions of illegal immigrants day in and day out. It must be controlled and regulated. How crowded do u want America to be? The majority of immigrants and refugees America takes in...are people of color. From Hispanics to Somalia's to Africans and etc. Been to Maine or Minnesota lately? Tons of African refugees. We cannot sustain an endless flow of people to our country. We have to do it smartly and piecemeal. Again...the Kurds get my vote over all immigrants.. So keep crying me a river lib....your crocodile tears are filling up the Mississippi river.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 07-19-2019 at 07:55 PM..

Old 07-19-2019, 07:57 PM

37,175 posts, read 16,488,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The people who are coming here and applying for asylum are following the law. Asylum confers a temporary legal status to be in the US.

People who sneak across the border and elude detection obviously have not followed the law, however the mere fact they are inside the jurisdiction of the United States and/or its Territories grants them the same protection(s) under the Constitution as everyone else. US Constitution does not distinguish between citizens and non citizens. Except in very minor instances such as the right to hold elective office.

Its really as simple as that. Nothing more nothing less.
If you think that the writers of the Constitution were including illegal aliens in the phrase "we the people" then you aren't dealing in reality.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:37 PM

462 posts, read 1,018,274 times
Legal immigration is legal immigration, not illegal immigration.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:05 PM

13,193 posts, read 6,289,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
What a bunch of crocodile tears horse s**t. Asylum from what? I vote to take in the Kurds in Syria and from Iraq. They have been fierce warriors in the fight against ISIS. They have no country of their own. And they love America and they don't join gangs, And they reside in war zones.
The problem is that Kurdish refugees do join gangs. It's a big problem in Nashville where many Kurds were resettled:

https://tennesseestar.com/2018/05/16...rs-can-profit/

Old 07-19-2019, 10:22 PM

447 posts, read 177,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Because most of them would vote for Democrats.

Next question please.
If it was that easy then why wouldn't Republicans do it? They are all politicians (if you know what I mean).

Old 07-19-2019, 10:27 PM

447 posts, read 177,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I always try to at least understand the opinions of those I don't agree with. It has always mystified me that anybody is defending illegals as if they were a persecuted victim class. They are even getting compared to slaves or holocaust victims. WTF? How?

Why is a person who scams their way into the United States, falsifies documents and/or steals identities in order to live and work here unlawfully entitled to the rights of citizens?

This is an honest question to all people advocating for the rights of "undocumented immigrants". Why do you think they are a righteous cause?
This is a great question. I am a Democrat and far from being a Trump supporter. But I don't get why anyone would support illegal immigration. If someone gets / stays illegally they are committing a crime and need to be deported ASAP. Asylum seekers need to be vetted thoroughly to ensure it is only for the deserving.

What I am against though is the whole "make it in to an example" type of execution that has led to a mess at our borders and other ICE detention centers. That is simply not the right way to do it.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The problem is that Kurdish refugees do join gangs. It's a big problem in Nashville where many Kurds were resettled:

https://tennesseestar.com/2018/05/16...rs-can-profit/
30 members? That's a huge, scary gang

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 07-20-2019 at 01:09 AM..

Old 07-20-2019, 01:00 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 28 days ago)

9,904 posts, read 3,765,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I always try to at least understand the opinions of those I don't agree with. It has always mystified me that anybody is defending illegals as if they were a persecuted victim class. They are even getting compared to slaves or holocaust victims. WTF? How?
They shouldn't be compared to slaves or Holocaust victims. Not the same thing at all.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They shouldn't be compared to slaves or Holocaust victims. Not the same thing at all.
If somebody doesn't know that...they have to be mentally retarded

Old 07-20-2019, 01:09 AM

19,064 posts, read 7,420,357 times
Many defenders want to hire illegals to do their yardwork at tiny wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or