U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 12:37 AM

4,963 posts, read 976,659 times

Advertisements

Not sure why my thread on this tragedy, which I wrote the other day, got deleted. The anime company Kyoto Animation is noted for their high-quality anime series and for being 1 of the anime studios with the best working conditions for their animators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 12:44 AM

29,976 posts, read 15,644,795 times
How is it legal that just anyone can buy gasoline?

Old 07-21-2019, 01:05 AM

1,454 posts, read 883,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Ban anime.
This is something I can get behind. Also Kpop

Old 07-21-2019, 01:32 AM

10,920 posts, read 4,501,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
The building didn't have sprinklers or fire extinguishers. The cartoons are completely meaningless in light of the loss of life, but the studio is forever lost after this, because they didn't store physical or digital backups off-site.

After the avoidable Fukushima disaster, the 7-11 ATM heist, and this absolutely horrible and avoidable tragedy, I'm getting the impression that Japan's infrastructure is woefully unprepared for disasters and other emergencies.
On the contrary, there probably isn't a country on Earth that does more to effectively prepare for and prevent disasters. Fukushima was a magnitude 9.0 quake in a class all its own, but smaller earthquakes and storms that would devastate American towns are routine here and sloughed off. I don't think the power has gone out once at my house since the brief blackouts after Fukushima 8 years ago.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:58 AM

1,609 posts, read 840,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
On the contrary, there probably isn't a country on Earth that does more to effectively prepare for and prevent disasters. Fukushima was a magnitude 9.0 quake in a class all its own, but smaller earthquakes and storms that would devastate American towns are routine here and sloughed off. I don't think the power has gone out once at my house since the brief blackouts after Fukushima 8 years ago.
Those plants were supposed to be decommissioned long before the quake/tsunami. That part of the triple disaster was completely avoidable. I was in Tokyo for the 2011 quake, and the rooftops of buildings surrounding my apartment were crumbling, while people were in the street.

I lived in Japan for more than a decade, not quite 20, and the thought that often crossed my mind when I entered various buildings, particularly underground stores and restaurants, is "I really hope nothing bad ever happens here, otherwise it will get extremely ugly." I recall another story of an accidental fire, either this year or last, in a well-known building that should not have happened.

Really take a serious look at the safety standards in all the buildings you visit (assuming you understand the language), and ask yourself if those standards would fly in a place like the US.

It's truly remarkable that you overlooked the flooding and landslides from last year!

The one positive story in all this is more attention will be paid toward fire safety, and buildings in Japan are torn down and replaced very frequently. So in a short while, Japan should be populated with buildings with up-to-date standards. That won't bring the innocent victims back, or the studio. Really, for a famous animation studio, it's incredible that they didn't archive their content off-site, like everyone else in the developed world.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:39 AM

18,551 posts, read 9,105,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How is it legal that just anyone can buy gasoline?
You can walk into any hardware store and make an explosive device.

87 people died in this purposely caused fire. Yet nobody calls for more regulations on gasoline. No I am not for more regulation, but it is very telling that the Left just wants to disarm the law abiding for control purposes.

Quote:
A jilted lover carrying a grudge and a dollar's worth of gas torched the club - a firetrap that should have never been open.
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ticle-1.173625

Old 07-21-2019, 05:31 AM

10,920 posts, read 4,501,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Those plants were supposed to be decommissioned long before the quake/tsunami. That part of the triple disaster was completely avoidable. I was in Tokyo for the 2011 quake, and the rooftops of buildings surrounding my apartment were crumbling, while people were in the street.

I lived in Japan for more than a decade, not quite 20, and the thought that often crossed my mind when I entered various buildings, particularly underground stores and restaurants, is "I really hope nothing bad ever happens here, otherwise it will get extremely ugly." I recall another story of an accidental fire, either this year or last, in a well-known building that should not have happened.

Really take a serious look at the safety standards in all the buildings you visit (assuming you understand the language), and ask yourself if those standards would fly in a place like the US.

It's truly remarkable that you overlooked the flooding and landslides from last year!

The one positive story in all this is more attention will be paid toward fire safety, and buildings in Japan are torn down and replaced very frequently. So in a short while, Japan should be populated with buildings with up-to-date standards. That won't bring the innocent victims back, or the studio. Really, for a famous animation studio, it's incredible that they didn't archive their content off-site, like everyone else in the developed world.
What are you going to do to stop landslides though? Japan has way more infrastructure to control that, stuff like concrete reinforced hillsides, than I have ever seen in America. But still, when you have steep terrain, and storms that dump half a meter of rain are common, it's going to happen.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:37 AM

1,609 posts, read 840,177 times
Well, the scale of damage from the flooding and landslides casts doubt on effective preparation and prevention. Try looking into those concrete reinforcements and find out how effective they are at prevention, and what's the next plan after they fail.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:17 AM

4,947 posts, read 3,434,136 times
Dozens injured or killed in Japan and folks manage to twist and turn this tragedy into an American gun rights rant. Sad.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:24 AM

1,454 posts, read 883,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You can walk into any hardware store and make an explosive device.

87 people died in this purposely caused fire. Yet nobody calls for more regulations on gasoline. No I am not for more regulation, but it is very telling that the Left just wants to disarm the law abiding for control purposes.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ticle-1.173625
We should also ban cars, don't want people plowing into crowds and killing people..... also let's ban water because you might drown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or