U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 11:33 AM

7,403 posts, read 3,053,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yes, further discussion. I worked as a Special Ed TA in two states. It was required that we have a minimum of a 2 year degree, PLUS experience with special needs population. In all the years that I worked I never reached $15/hour. I never could have done this without a husband who was making six figures a year to support me. I could pursue the work I wanted to in order to "give back" to the PUBLIC SCHOOL System Teachers who taught my own Special Needs Children; one who graduated college.

So you think we should not be making $15 an hour for "no skills"? Elaborate on what you consider skills.
I hate to have to break this to you at your age, but pay is based on the market and the value you bring to the table for the employer. Likely noone forced you to work in a low-paying field. You must have known this up front.
But thanks for your hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:34 AM

79,540 posts, read 33,688,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I have an issue with giving a min wage to incompetence (this is pointed mostly at the fast food workers, but also many in retail too)...I am tired of going to a store, wanting to ask a question about a product, or placing an order for fast food, and they are so incompetent, that they get the order wrong, or have zero knowledge of the section they are working in.
Boeing's CEO decided that shareholder value was more important than safety. Two airplanes crashed because of that killing nearly 350 people and grounding the jet now for months harming the income of regular people.

Is this not incompetence? He made an awful lot of money.

Old Today, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's a great example of propaganda and disinformation.

According to the Social Security Administration, only about 12 Million people earn the federal minimum wage and that would be about 7% of the work-force.
It will raise the wages of those making just over minimum wage also. I know you know this.

Old Today, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I have an issue with giving a min wage to incompetence (this is pointed mostly at the fast food workers, but also many in retail too)...I am tired of going to a store, wanting to ask a question about a product, or placing an order for fast food, and they are so incompetent, that they get the order wrong, or have zero knowledge of the section they are working in.

when I am shopping, I ask questions, I want the best product for my need, the incompetence of the retail world today is so shocking..... years ago it was about customer service, knowledge of the product, today its about a quick sale with no knowledge of the product.

last week I went to a target....asked a simple question, not even ABOUT a product, but where to find the product....kid looked at me like I had 5 heads.......incompetence

I walked from my workplace to the taco-bell a couple of blocks down...asked for a very simple order...2 chicken soft tacos with onion...... walked back to work to find they handed me 2 chopmeat(beef) soft taco's with no onion.....incompetence

I have to travel a lot to Ft. Bragg...you go down south and they put mustard on hamburgers ( my opinion is mustard is for hot dogs, while catsup is for hamburgers)....place my order at a McDonalds "two Cheeseburgers NO MUSTARD"......incompetent slugs cant even get that correct

these fast food workers of today.....incompetent slugs............... yes I said ...incompetence......and they want to demand 15/hr...they aren't even worth 5/hr with that level of incompetence
Dude, it's not about competence. It's about feelings!

Old Today, 11:37 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,364 posts, read 14,065,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Boeing's CEO decided that shareholder value was more important than safety. Two airplanes crashed because of that killing nearly 350 people and grounding the jet now for months harming the income of regular people.

yes that is incompetence and negligence ...

and he should be FIRED (if you can bring the cause back squarely on him alone)....but that is not my decision ..that is the decision of the board

Old Today, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's another great example of propaganda and disinformation.

Wealth does not equate to cash.

Why don't you explain how a $1.3 Million Van Gogh painting can be redistributed to the downtrodden?

Are you going to use an Exact-o knife to cut the canvas into 1 mm x 1 mm square pieces and redistribute that wealth to the downtrodden so people can feel good?

What do you suppose the value of that $1.3 Million Van Gogh painting will be after it's hacked into tiny pieces?
It was noted that the actual cash is around $5400 per person. You don't see that as a problem? You don't see lowering rates to make the paper value of a few an even larger gap than that $5400 average?

No issue there?

Old Today, 11:39 AM

662 posts, read 140,193 times
Quote:
Here's one for you.

I was in Walmart in the food section. Guy walks up to a worker there stocking shelves.
"Where can I find whole wheat bread ?" he asked her. She thought for a minute and said "The bread aisle". I kid you not. The guy was speechless. I piped up and said.."The bread is on the first aisle after the freezer stuff up front". Guy thanked me and walked off shaking his head.

Old Today, 11:39 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,364 posts, read 14,065,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Dude, it's not about competence. It's about feelings!
oh.. ok...then... "they are incompetent slugs, but because of 'feelings' they should DEMAND that the government make min wage 200/hr"

give everyone a raise, raise ALL boats

Old Today, 11:43 AM

Quote:
yes that is incompetence and negligence ...

and he should be FIRED (if you can bring the cause back squarely on him alone)....but that is not my decision ..that is the decision of the board
He hasn't been fired and if he was he would walk off with millions as a severance package. He is able to be paid so much for his incompetence because of us constantly inflating the markets.

Why is it OK to inflate markets so incompetent CEO's can make tens of millions of dollars but it's wrong for an incompetent clerk to be able to afford to at least pay her bills?

Old Today, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Bad analogy, and its become political as well. Pilot competence was lacking in both cases and no other airline had any issues prior. Very unfortunate, but shi# happens.
The software and function parameters were modified to prevent the near unlikely reoccurrence. It's become another regulatory circus where laymen chime in on aircraft issues as if they have any knowledge of design.
I digress. Stay on topic.
(And yes I'm a fixed-wing and helicopter pilot and a 34-year A&P mechanic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or