U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 01:41 PM

12,888 posts, read 4,657,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
seems fair....but how about this tweak...

How about we actually fix the minimum wage to the GDP per capita for the area
Yes, both seems fair. And both can be done. A federal minimum wage floor indexed to GDP per capita, and states or metro areas can choose to go higher if they want.

Just abolishing the minimum wage at the federal level is just a talking point the ruling class use to convince the working class that they are better off without any worker protection and worker's rights.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLaRana View Post
I will be glad to trade with Democrats - $15 minimum wage + Universal Health Care for a border wall, a change to asylum laws, an amendment requiring parents have their status legalized before their children count as citizens, no DACA and forbidding illegals from any social programs. Any takers?
Never going to happen. The super rich ruling class are against all of your proposals including $15 minimum wage and a national health care system. And money rules in an oligarchy. The obsession about illegal immigration is just another ploy they use to divide the population, just like they did with guns, abortion, religion and everything else they push to distract the people from who has the real power.

Old Today, 01:45 PM

79,536 posts, read 33,688,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLaRana View Post
I will be glad to trade with Democrats - $15 minimum wage + Universal Health Care for a border wall, a change to asylum laws, an amendment requiring parents have their status legalized before their children count as citizens, no DACA and forbidding illegals from any social programs. Any takers?
I'll trade. Bring each and every soldier home, all of them, and you can have the wall.

Old Today, 01:47 PM

11,393 posts, read 5,972,002 times
I've been working in everything from retail/min wage jobs to full time salaried positions for ~25 years. Never once did I ask for more money because I thought my employer should support any sort of lifestyle of mine. When I needed or wanted more money, I either asked for a raise based on my tenure, experience, and/or value, or I found another job that recognized one or more of those things and compensated me accordingly.

This entire conversation is ridiculous.

Old Today, 01:47 PM

20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Never going to happen. The super rich ruling class are against all of your proposals including $15 minimum wage and a national health care system. And money rules in an oligarchy. The obsession about illegal immigration is just another ploy they use to divide the population, just like they did with guns, abortion, religion and everything else they push to distract the people from who has the real power.
No one thinks illegal immigrants have any power, we just want our country to stop being flooded by them. The elites flood this country with illegal immigrants not just for cheap gardeners and berry pickers but also to weaken social cohesion and prevent any broader support for expensive social programs like universal health care.

Old Today, 01:52 PM

7,402 posts, read 3,053,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
seems fair....but how about this tweak...

How about we actually fix the minimum wage to the GDP per capita for the area
Or how about keeping the Feds out of our business? How about letting local markets determine wages. A waitress in Seattle needs to make a lot more than one in Birmingham. If a restaurant isn't paying enough to attract staff, it will go out of business. The market works every time. Unless there is a political motive to interfere!

Old Today, 01:55 PM

79,536 posts, read 33,688,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Or how about keeping the Feds out of our business? How about letting local markets determine wages. A waitress in Seattle needs to make a lot more than one in Birmingham. If a restaurant isn't paying enough to attract staff, it will go out of business. The market works every time. Unless there is a political motive to interfere!
When there is no minimum wage and they all decided to pay $5.00 the people have little choice.

Old Today, 01:57 PM

52,029 posts, read 41,851,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I doubt it, many of these places will still need the same amount of employees to keep daily operations going as they have been. If MW was raised and we had to pay all our cashiers the new $15 rate, we couldnt just fire 1/3 of them, to make up for it, we still need to have people running the registers when we are open.

Such an increase wouldnt impact us that much anyway, our annual profits have been in the high millions for years now, once MW is raised, profits will likely take a hit for a short time, but not by that much and not for that long either.
I agree that some places would be unaffected or only slightly.

Others will pass the cost along, some taking a hit on profits.

However, in general, the CBO independent economists estimated some rather large job losses so while you're location may be unaffected, others are. I gave Target as an example, one of my kids worked there and they started choppin' dead wood so to speak right away.

I still think it's dumb to have a one-size fits all cost of living free national minimum wage but oh well.

Old Today, 01:59 PM

11,393 posts, read 5,972,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
When there is no minimum wage and they all decided to pay $5.00 the people have little choice.
People get paid based on the value they add to the business. So if they are worth $5/hr due to their skills, thats what they would be paid.

Old Today, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I agree that some places would be unaffected or only slightly.

Others will pass the cost along, some taking a hit on profits.

However, in general, the CBO independent economists estimated some rather large job losses so while you're location may be unaffected, others are. I gave Target as an example, one of my kids worked there and they started choppin' dead wood so to speak right away.

I still think it's dumb to have a one-size fits all cost of living free national minimum wage but oh well.
Whats dumb with a national wage floor to avoid third world drudgery jobs? There is absolutely nothing preventing the Bay Area from going higher than the federal level, so you get your locally adjusted minimum wages if you want.

I fail to see whats so great about some type of Hong Kong model where workers slave around for nothing and live in cages in old age collecting cardboard to survive. And no, the Asians in HK are not lazy bums as we often hear as the counter-argument for people living in poverty. The reality is that when workers are disorganized while concentrated capital is organized and own the government, workers dont stand a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or