U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2019, 03:28 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,760 posts, read 3,712,462 times
Reputation: 19897

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Updated reading for you about that hourly wage for restaurant servers. They don't make $2.13/hour anymore and haven't for years. The bottom 10% make 8.27/hour while the top make $20/hour plus they get tips.

This was last updated in 2017 so assume they make even more today.
https://www.bls.gov/oes/2017/may/oes353031.htm
Those are mean wage "estimates" and it doesn't say whether it factors in tips or not. It's still legal for a restaurant to pay a base wage of $2.13 an hour to servers in some states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2019, 03:50 PM
 
828 posts, read 171,938 times
Reputation: 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Trade with China is a slave labor policy.
Unions are banned in China and workers have zero rights.
They are slaves.
The US doesn't get to dictate labor laws in other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 04:46 AM
 
6,370 posts, read 2,703,883 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The US doesn't get to dictate labor laws in other countries.
That is just an excuse, they have no desire to change until anything if it is to the benefit of the moneychangers.

They will certainly dictate if we are on the losing end or if a country decides to switch from selling oil in dollars to something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 07:22 AM
 
Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,379 posts, read 14,086,902 times
Reputation: 6534
Raising the min wage to 15/hr (double what it currently is) will cause lay-offs and outsourcing of jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,984 posts, read 14,277,179 times
Reputation: 16155
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
That is just an excuse, they have no desire to change until anything if it is to the benefit of the moneychangers.
If only you had a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Because rent and housing prices are a fraction of what we pay in the USA.
At one time, Americans only made $400/year.

Was that "slave labor?"

In Sierra Leone Ndela gets paid the minimum wage of $0.28/hour.

Those wages are not "slave labor." Her wages are totally appropriate for the level of economic development in Sierra Leone. When the US was at the exact same level of economic development that Sierra Leone is now, Americans were also getting paid $0.28/hour.

There is neither a logical reason nor an economic reason for everyone on Earth to get paid the same wages as Americans.

Why don't you take a few college level economics courses and get back us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 01:23 PM
 
12,972 posts, read 4,676,504 times
Reputation: 5269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If only you had a clue.



At one time, Americans only made $400/year.

Was that "slave labor?"

In Sierra Leone Ndela gets paid the minimum wage of $0.28/hour.

Those wages are not "slave labor." Her wages are totally appropriate for the level of economic development in Sierra Leone. When the US was at the exact same level of economic development that Sierra Leone is now, Americans were also getting paid $0.28/hour.

There is neither a logical reason nor an economic reason for everyone on Earth to get paid the same wages as Americans.

Why don't you take a few college level economics courses and get back us?
If you look at the level of development, there is no reason why the minimum wage should be $7.25 an hour or $15 000 a year when GNI per capita of the nation is $63300.

It was $1.60 an hour in 1968 when GNI per capita was $4700. Thats 71% of the GNI per capita. So the minimum wage has gone from 71% of GNI per capita to 24% of GNI per capita today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 03:30 PM
 
1,806 posts, read 997,364 times
Reputation: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If only you had a clue.



At one time, Americans only made $400/year.

Was that "slave labor?"

In Sierra Leone Ndela gets paid the minimum wage of $0.28/hour.

Those wages are not "slave labor." Her wages are totally appropriate for the level of economic development in Sierra Leone. When the US was at the exact same level of economic development that Sierra Leone is now, Americans were also getting paid $0.28/hour.

There is neither a logical reason nor an economic reason for everyone on Earth to get paid the same wages as Americans.

Why don't you take a few college level economics courses and get back us?



Level of economic development? Ok, let's take another developed country - Spain. GDP per capita quite less than here, so less developed. But minimum wage is about $1000 a month, so quite similar to the one here. Oh, and to make things even more interesting, of course everybody has healthcare coverage. So how does that work



Lastly, I didn't see any robots in the restaurants couple of weeks ago when I was there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 03:35 PM
Status: "Hungry" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Chiraq, Crook County
1,376 posts, read 840,502 times
Reputation: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well the smart ones will move to a low COL area and live like kings.
If you're trying to live off of minimum wage in a city like New York, Chicago, or LA, you're doing it wrong already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 03:40 PM
 
29,806 posts, read 16,487,495 times
Reputation: 13858
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Raising the min wage to 15/hr (double what it currently is) will cause lay-offs and outsourcing of jobs
Its why its usually done so incrementally, the job destruction is less noticeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 03:49 PM
 
828 posts, read 171,938 times
Reputation: 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Level of economic development? Ok, let's take another developed country - Spain. GDP per capita quite less than here, so less developed. But minimum wage is about $1000 a month, so quite similar to the one here. Oh, and to make things even more interesting, of course everybody has healthcare coverage. So how does that work



Lastly, I didn't see any robots in the restaurants couple of weeks ago when I was there
via their social security taxes which are very high compared to that of the US.

Ours is around 15% while Spain's is around 38%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top