Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 11:46 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Did any restaurant put a gun on anybody’s head and force them to work?

If not, why do you want to force them at gunpoint to do their business your way?
If you had read my post, I made it clear that many restaurants complain that they can't find people to work for them. So it's the other way around: restaurants seem to want to force people to work for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 12:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That bill will give tipped workers $15/hour. That's a $13/hour raise for those people.
Think restaurants can handle that type of increase for each server ?
I would have to look at their annual profits for the past few years to determine if they could afford that or not.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
There will be a much bigger hit to restaurants and any other business that uses tipped workers.
Pay will go from $2.13 to $15.00 for all employees.

Does that mean no more tipping ?
I won't tip if a waiter is making $15 an hour.

And if that is true with most people, waiters will make less money. When I waited tables, $15 an hour was a HORRIBLE night.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:39 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, the reported wages include tips.

Guess you never worked as a server? Because it seems you have no idea how they report their wages in regards to filing taxes.

But anyway, there is a tipped federal minimum wage that they must get paid, however, the business must ensure they still get the federal minimum wage regardless of tips, so if the server gets zero tips for the week, the business must kick in money to ensure the salary still meets the federal minimum wage. If the server gets $1000 in tips for the week, the business still must give at least the minimum tipped federal wage regardless.

In reporting income, sure, everyone suppose to be honest, but reality is the business will just have a set percent figure they assign to the server, say 10%, and that is what will be reported as the salary they got for the year.
I doubt many people would tip wait staff if they make $15 an hour.

It will be a major pay cut for good waiters. I guess making pay equal between good and bad waiters is good?

Old 07-21-2019, 07:38 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
If we killed all trade with slave labor nations, booted out all illegals, booted out H1Bs, booted out foriegners buying our houses, wages at the bottom end would go way past 15 dollars an hour.

The cheap labor express and wall street do not want to do any of the above.
These people are the problem in this country.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Did any restaurant put a gun on anybody’s head and force them to work?

If not, why do you want to force them at gunpoint to do their business your way?

You do not care if people starve to death. I know your kind too well. Restaurant owners are people too and they have families and healthcare to pay too. If they go out of business, who’s paying them? What about the people they hire?
What is the difference between a policy passed to raise minimum wage or a policy passed to bring in more foriegn labor that suppresses wages?

Both punish one party and reward the other.

If we got rid of our government all together, the biggest losers would be the finance sector and the mega corporations.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:29 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
If we killed all trade with slave labor nations, booted out all illegals, booted out H1Bs, booted out foriegners buying our houses, wages at the bottom end would go way past 15 dollars an hour.

The cheap labor express and wall street do not want to do any of the above.
These people are the problem in this country.
The minimum wage law is a slave labor law.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
If we killed all trade with slave labor nations,...
There are no "slave labor nations."

Are you referring to Romanian where the average Romanian earns $310/month?

That's about $1.78/hour.

The funny thing is that at 98%, Romania boasts the highest rate of home-ownership of any country on Earth.

Everyone in Romania owns a house or an apartment. Yeah, you can buy an apartment in Romania. I own two apartments myself (plus a house plus another apartment in Kosice, Slovakia) and I only rent to college students and no Catholics need apply (and yeah, we're allowed to discriminate).

Why don't you impress us with your knowledge of Economics and explain to everyone why a Romanian earning $1.78/hour can buy his own home but an American earning $11.00/hour cannot?

Well, we're waiting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If I have to pay higher taxes for all to be able to afford health care, I am OK with that. I disagree with the scare tactics, but all the same............
But, you are not the majority and it's not a scare tactic, it's a fact.

It's not a wage increase of $7.75/hour.

It's a wage increase of $7.75/hour plus FICA and HI and FUTA and SUTA and Worker's Comp and Casualty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If anyone deserves higher pay, it's people working in nursing homes cleaning the disease-infested diarrhea off of patients who weight 300, 400 or 500 pounds and risking their necks to move these people around. How are you going to force people to do this work if they don't want to anymore?
Wages are not about "deserving."

Wages are about the Supply & Demand for a given skill-set within a geographically defined labor market.

The Supply of People willing to do the job you described is far greater than the Demand for those people.

That's why they get paid minimum wage.

If there would be a shortage of such workers, then employers would have no choice and have to pay higher wages to attract those workers.

That's how it works. It's not a touchy-feely thing, it's an economics and math thing.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There are no "slave labor nations."

Are you referring to Romanian where the average Romanian earns $310/month?

That's about $1.78/hour.

The funny thing is that at 98%, Romania boasts the highest rate of home-ownership of any country on Earth.

Everyone in Romania owns a house or an apartment. Yeah, you can buy an apartment in Romania. I own two apartments myself (plus a house plus another apartment in Kosice, Slovakia) and I only rent to college students and no Catholics need apply (and yeah, we're allowed to discriminate).

Why don't you impress us with your knowledge of Economics and explain to everyone why a Romanian earning $1.78/hour can buy his own home but an American earning $11.00/hour cannot?

Well, we're waiting....

But, you are not the majority and it's not a scare tactic, it's a fact.

It's not a wage increase of $7.75/hour.

It's a wage increase of $7.75/hour plus FICA and HI and FUTA and SUTA and Worker's Comp and Casualty.

Wages are not about "deserving."

Wages are about the Supply & Demand for a given skill-set within a geographically defined labor market.

The Supply of People willing to do the job you described is far greater than the Demand for those people.

That's why they get paid minimum wage.

If there would be a shortage of such workers, then employers would have no choice and have to pay higher wages to attract those workers.

That's how it works. It's not a touchy-feely thing, it's an economics and math thing.
Because rent and housing prices are a fraction of what we pay in the USA.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

200 bucks for a 1 bedroom apartment lol.

Last edited by Yac; 07-22-2019 at 12:34 AM..

Old 07-21-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
The minimum wage law is a slave labor law.
Trade with China is a slave labor policy.
Unions are banned in China and workers have zero rights.
They are slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies