U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:40 AM

4,382 posts, read 1,819,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Billions spent with no expectation of return and budget increases when none is delivered, makes NASA one big beautiful scam.
A scam that has delivered lots of technological advances? This kind of thinking is why America is going to be technologically inferior to China in the coming decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:40 AM

17,931 posts, read 8,921,474 times
NASA is a joke. A Cold War creation that has outlived its purpose. Private companies are now leading the way for space travel. Not NASA which has become a politically correct vehicle for SJW's preaching man made climate change dreck.

Old Today, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
NASA is a joke. A Cold War creation that has outlived its purpose. Private companies are now leading the way for space travel. Not NASA which has become a politically correct vehicle for SJW's preaching man made climate change dreck.
Lots to unpack in this statement. NASA is very underfunded at the moment but they do what they can with the pittance the government throws at it. I am curious why you deny climate change do you have some scientific research you conducted that contradict the current consensus?

Old Today, 06:43 AM

3,878 posts, read 1,667,099 times
Default Not exactly a race, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Do you not realize how many contributions NASA has made to modern technology? Even the camera in your smart phone is a direct result of NASA research. In medicine alone NASA has been a game changer. There are lists available on the NASA website of products we wouldn’t have without space exploration. Out of all the alphabet agencies which our government spawns, NASA is probably the biggest net contributor to our modern lifestyle.
Or DARPA - it might be a tossup - I'd have to look.

But certainly NASA was out in public & garnered a lot more publicity than DARPA has ever sought.

Old Today, 07:44 AM

6,976 posts, read 7,792,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
We should be celebrating the 50th anniversary of landing on the moon, instead Trump is spreading racism.

We haven't changed much since then, we are in a war with no exit plan for 18 years, racism is still strong and a President drowning in corruption of his own doing.
Sigh....

You couldn't just let it be about NASA, could you? You had to jump into a thread where Trump wasn't even mentioned and turn it into an opportunity to accuse the POTUS of racism. What, not enough threads on here bashing Trump?

Starbucks barista: "Welcome to Starbucks, how may I help you?"

OpinionExperience: "I'll have a Venti mocha Trump is a racist."

Seriously, how do you get through your day?

Old Today, 07:44 AM

6,659 posts, read 1,377,211 times
Just as an aside, in honor of the 50th anniversary of the moon landing tomorrow, we watched "The Dish" last night about what was involved in allowing much of the world to view the video of the moon landing. Although the movie was fictionalized, although based on a true story, the Australians (according to the movie) seemed to accomplish this with just three Australian "techies" on site with one U.S. adviser. Pretty funny movie, actually, and Sam Neill was great, as always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TAqXENo1rA

Old Today, 07:51 AM

29,785 posts, read 16,467,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
troll is troll but i can't resist.

camera phones

scratch resistant lenses

CAT scan

LED's

land mine removal

athletic shoes

foil blankets

water purification systems

dust buster

ear thermometers

home insulation

jaws of life

wireless headsets

memory foam

freeze dried food

adjustable smoke detector

baby formula

artificial limbs
is it your contention that those conveniences or technologies wouldnt exist without NASA?

Old Today, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
is it your contention that those conveniences or technologies wouldnt exist without NASA?
No the poster is saying NASA programs led to those technologies thats a good thing. I'm of the opinion we shouldn't hold back technological progress.

Old Today, 08:46 AM

4,403 posts, read 2,985,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Actually, my point stands. The money we invest in. NASA absolutely has resulted in innovations later used in civilian life. The money is far better spent on NASA than on crap holes like Haiti where billions have been dumped.
40 million dollar gas station in Afghanistan.
The trillion spent on the F-35 dud.
The 14 billion on an aircraft carrier that is all but useless.

The billions spent on the literal combat ships.
That isn't even addressing the billions spent on Israel and foreign aid to other countries, while we have 600,000 homeless.

Lets talk department of energy. requested 37 billion and most people without googling could not name 3 things that department delivers.

I can go on and on. NASA is not our worst or even nearly biggest waste. The State Department 47 billion.. Ever use their services over seas? $50 for a notary stamp.

NASA gets lets than half.
Haiti is a worthwhile use of funding...that's saving people's lives.
Military technology does much the same.
Foreign aid results in global trust and cooperation. All those might be argued to be more or less worthwhile activities.

Going to Mars might happen to result in technologies that assist us in other ways, meanwhile there is under-funded research into fusion power that is totally focused on what could probably become one of the greatest inventions of all time.

Maybe I should have just complained about NASA sending future probes and humans to travel far out into the solar system to explore planets and space objects, and also complained about going back to the moon. That would embody basically all my complaints.

I know NASA does a lot of very useful things...I just want the sorts of projects they do more limited.

I know other organizations are very wasteful of funding...but NASA is responsible for a lot of people's education about global warming, and if it really is an important issue, and we're spending 200 billion dollars on exploring other celestial bodies than Earth...it kind of gives the impression that climate change really isn't that big of a deal.

Old Today, 08:47 AM

1,020 posts, read 176,857 times
You guys are literally using a device to make post on this forum that were not possible before the space program. Sometimes I wonder about you guys.

Want to know be cost of NASA, well do you like:
Transistors
Velcro
Carbon Fiber
GPS
Satilette television
Accurate climate data and weather data

Those inventions more than paid for any cost of NASA and that a fragment of the contributions that continue to be made. Some of you want to live on a island with no government yet want social security Medicare, police force, fire fighters, airplanes that don’t collide in the sky, the internet, safe and reliable power grid, clean water, on and on and on.

If most of you that feel that way moved to middle of nowhere North Dakota you could have all of that and be left alone to die in that wasteland. But for some reason you just choose to complain about it with no real intention of changing it for Yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies