U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 03:46 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,013,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/s...ents/explorer/

We lost our drive to explore and learn. Without it why do we exist, just to make money?

We need to be balanced between what we need and what gives us purpose. NASA fills that purpose.

That "....one giant leap for mankind"
That, my friend, is pure, concentrated, propaganda. We can achieve a sense of purpose from absolutely anything. We did it just fine knowing absolutely nothing about the world outside our atmosphere for tens of thousands of years.

Last edited by Clintone; 07-20-2019 at 04:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Haiti a complete and utter waste. Very little of the billions spent found its way to saving anyone's life.

Some military technology is great. The F-35 isn't such an example nor is the Ford Class Carrier.

Foreign aid delivers very little bang for the buck. Any average high schooler will tell you. You can't buy friends

NASA has had blunders, they have wasted. That said the Department of Energy, State Department, the Department of Defense. The return at best is questionable given the waste.
I don't know anything about the F-35, nor the Ford Class Carrier.

Whether or not foreign aid delivers very little bang for our buck depends on what your goals are. A lot of times that stuff will save people's lives. Also, there are international agreements about giving foreign aid. If we stop, so will everybody else and then the world becomes a lot more tribal and probably miserable.

Whether or not NASA is wasteful depends on your definition of waste. You could look at it like, NASA does discover interesting new technologies, but in a kind of unfocused way. I bet what would be more cost-effective would be a think-tank that focuses purely on researching technology that helps us here on Earth...specific, important technologies, in terms of actually assisting humans.

Whether or not what you say is true just depends on your personal goals for the country.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:11 AM

1,241 posts, read 475,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
That, my friend, is pure, concentrated, propaganda. We can achieve a sense of purpose from absolutely anything. We did it just fine knowing absolutely nothing about the world outside our atmosphere for tens of thousands of years.
"The Earth....She Is A Flat!!!!"

Old 07-20-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Quote:
"The Earth....She Is A Flat!!!!"
If you read many of the pages in this thread you'd see I compliment NASA a lot and have zero interest whatsoever in completely getting rid of it. I just want humanity to focus on its long term survival more and get rid of more distractions that don't assist with that, or actively hinder our long term ability to survive, like spending a hundred billion dollars to put people on Mars, or private companies' goals of colonizing Mars, or returning to the moon, or exploring Titan and that sort of...sending probes or people to other corners of the solar system to study planets. To believe otherwise I'd need to see exactly how such endeavors can help us learn more about our own Earth, and how it'll lead to discoveries that are useful in a concrete kind of way like understanding Earth's climate better...not understanding how life formed on Earth and stuff like that, and I'd need to know that there aren't cheaper ways of doing it.

I'm quite fond of the Voyager 1 and 2 programs though that happened awhile back though.

The way I see it, our species is approaching many bottleneck points in our development, and for the next century or two I'd like our society to be focused more on a kind of emergency long term survival mentality rather than a casual, exploring mentality. I want that to be where our sense of purpose comes from. That means inventions focused on preserving the environment and building up the type of infrastructure required to live in space eventually. That means governments eventually funded through massive amounts of heavily taxed machine labor so that we have the resources for many people to live off world. That means rapid development of cheap, clean energies so that third world nations can be brought up to first world standards in environmentally friendly ways, so that their population growth rate lessens. That means experimenting with large scale planet-modification in ways such as driving mosquitoes that spread serious diseases to humans into extinction...or maybe more minor diseases too. I'd need to learn more about how important of pollinators mosquitoes are, and how much food they provide for other life humans depend on, like fish. One of the major threats to our species is disease, and ending the kinds of mosquitoes that bring us the worst ones, or maybe any diseases could be great. It also means lots of GMO's and clean water technologies...although private industries seem to be handling GMO development just fine...possibly too well, given the complaints that have arisen on occasion.

Last edited by Clintone; 07-20-2019 at 05:05 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM

4,946 posts, read 1,586,736 times
Quote:
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/s...ents/explorer/

We lost our drive to explore and learn. Without it why do we exist, just to make money?

We need to be balanced between what we need and what gives us purpose. NASA fills that purpose.

That "....one giant leap for mankind"
There's no need to explore and learn. NASA hasn't seemed to have turned up one bit of anything that could benefit the human race any further, so why not pull the plug on their funding, for lack of results?

Old Today, 12:16 AM

3,022 posts, read 647,234 times
Quote:
We should be celebrating the 50th anniversary of landing on the moon, instead Trump is spreading racism.

We haven't changed much since then, we are in a war with no exit plan for 18 years, racism is still strong and a President drowning in corruption of his own doing.
It's like a form of Tourette's; "racism, racism, racism." But NPCs gonna NPC!

Old Today, 12:18 AM

3,022 posts, read 647,234 times
Unless China steps up and becomes the leader in space exploration, then the whole enterprise is dead. The West is too busy with it's navel-gazing, guilt trips and reparations.

Old Today, 04:22 AM

13,821 posts, read 9,431,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Um, that's kind of what NASA is doing with space exploration. You know, looking for somewhere else we can survive? It's sort of important that we check out other places before we go there.
There are millions of planets to live on and we will never get to any of them. Can't even get to Mars that is only 34.56 million miles away when nearest to us let alone another star system that is light years away.

Old Today, 04:26 AM

7,064 posts, read 7,829,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
There are millions of planets to live on and we will never get to any of them. Can't even get to Mars that is only 34.56 million miles away when nearest to us let alone another star system that is light years away.
200 years ago people thought manned flight was a fantasy.
100 years ago space flight was a fantasy.

Old Today, 04:52 AM

13,821 posts, read 9,431,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
200 years ago people thought manned flight was a fantasy.
100 years ago space flight was a fantasy.
There won't be anyone left in 200 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies