U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:12 AM

1,241 posts, read 475,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
If you read many of the pages in this thread you'd see I compliment NASA a lot and have zero interest whatsoever in completely getting rid of it. I just want humanity to focus on its long term survival more and get rid of more distractions that don't assist with that, or actively hinder our long term ability to survive, like spending a hundred billion dollars to put people on Mars, or private companies' goals of colonizing Mars, or returning to the moon, or exploring Titan and that sort of...sending probes or people to other corners of the solar system to study planets. To believe otherwise I'd need to see exactly how such endeavors can help us learn more about our own Earth, and how it'll lead to discoveries that are useful in a concrete kind of way like understanding Earth's climate better...not understanding how life formed on Earth and stuff like that, and I'd need to know that there aren't cheaper ways of doing it.

I'm quite fond of the Voyager 1 and 2 programs though that happened awhile back though.

The way I see it, our species is approaching many bottleneck points in our development, and for the next century or two I'd like our society to be focused more on a kind of emergency long term survival mentality rather than a casual, exploring mentality. I want that to be where our sense of purpose comes from. That means inventions focused on preserving the environment and building up the type of infrastructure required to live in space eventually. That means governments eventually funded through massive amounts of heavily taxed machine labor so that we have the resources for many people to live off world. That means rapid development of cheap, clean energies so that third world nations can be brought up to first world standards in environmentally friendly ways, so that their population growth rate lessens. That means experimenting with large scale planet-modification in ways such as driving mosquitoes that spread serious diseases to humans into extinction...or maybe more minor diseases too. I'd need to learn more about how important of pollinators mosquitoes are, and how much food they provide for other life humans depend on, like fish. One of the major threats to our species is disease, and ending the kinds of mosquitoes that bring us the worst ones, or maybe any diseases could be great. It also means lots of GMO's and clean water technologies...although private industries seem to be handling GMO development just fine...possibly too well, given the complaints that have arisen on occasion.
Voyager is still an active mission and we are receiving data from technology from the 70's. Probes like that are relatively cheap for that amount of information we get from them. I thought we should send Voyager 3 with the new technology we have today and now now what new testing and on board analysis we should use. It takes time to to get that far out but as we sit on earth squabbling it will be there for the future generation.

We are exploring meteors to see what they are made of so when one is going to hit us we have a better understanding of what it's make up is and how to deal with it when it comes. That is an effort to preserve our existence.

I am looking forward to the day when they discover life on another planet that will change our whole perspective of how we look at ourselves. I was a skeptic until I saw the Hubble Deep Field and all those galaxies. If everyone has one developed planet like our own the universe is teeming with life. I think they will discover microbial life in our solar system someday and that would be amazing.

All this is building on our ability to better understand how everything works and it all started with a picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:20 AM

19,559 posts, read 12,360,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
NASA is a major source of information on climate change. We're constantly hearing about how dangerous it is...and yet NASA still engages in projects like proposing sending people to Mars, or back to the moon.

It would probably convince many people that we are in a climate emergency if a major organization stating that climate change is largely manmade would scrap all projects not related to the long term survival of the species.

That means scrapping projects focused on searching for alien life. That probably means scrapping projects focused on exploring other planets in our solar system. That means scrapping any missions to Mars. That means no going back to the moon.

I wouldn't want existing projects that money has already been spent on to be scrapped...but I like the idea of NASA not embarking on any new projects not directly related to long term human survival that it hasn't already begun investing in.

So, I would like NASA to receive all the funding they want for studying solar activity. I might be okay with them receiving some funding for detecting comets and asteroids that might pose a danger to Earth...but I'd prefer as little as possible be spent on that because there's little we can do to stop them right now anyway. I definitely want NASA to receive as much funding as they need for monitoring Earth's weather and climate.

I would like, more than anything else, to learn that there is microscopic life on Mars, or Titan, or under the ice in Europan seas, or in the atmosphere of Venus. I will be euphoric the moment we discover some kind of microbe on any one of those worlds...however I would prefer that we never spend the money to discover that. I want that to be a treasure for our descendants to discover, because now I think we have bigger problems.

OMG- "climate change"? James Van Allen, who was James Hansen's mentor and a leading member of NASA during the space race, thought AGW was a hoax and Hansen was an academic embarrassment. So did Lou Frank. Van Allen founded the Van Allen Radiation Belts and Lou Frank designed the optics on the Hubbel telescope.

NASA does not exist to help perpetuate a hoax.

Our "final frontier" is space and humanity should be seeking means to reach Mars and beyond our solar system.

Wasting money on a hoax detracts from real problems facing humanity and some of the fantastic goals we could achieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies