U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

4,396 posts, read 2,985,173 times

Advertisements

NASA is a major source of information on climate change. We're constantly hearing about how dangerous it is...and yet NASA still engages in projects like proposing sending people to Mars, or back to the moon.

It would probably convince many people that we are in a climate emergency if a major organization stating that climate change is largely manmade would scrap all projects not related to the long term survival of the species.

That means scrapping projects focused on searching for alien life. That probably means scrapping projects focused on exploring other planets in our solar system. That means scrapping any missions to Mars. That means no going back to the moon.

I wouldn't want existing projects that money has already been spent on to be scrapped...but I like the idea of NASA not embarking on any new projects not directly related to long term human survival that it hasn't already begun investing in.

So, I would like NASA to receive all the funding they want for studying solar activity. I might be okay with them receiving some funding for detecting comets and asteroids that might pose a danger to Earth...but I'd prefer as little as possible be spent on that because there's little we can do to stop them right now anyway. I definitely want NASA to receive as much funding as they need for monitoring Earth's weather and climate.

I would like, more than anything else, to learn that there is microscopic life on Mars, or Titan, or under the ice in Europan seas, or in the atmosphere of Venus. I will be euphoric the moment we discover some kind of microbe on any one of those worlds...however I would prefer that we never spend the money to discover that. I want that to be a treasure for our descendants to discover, because now I think we have bigger problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM

6,975 posts, read 7,792,563 times
Um, that's kind of what NASA is doing with space exploration. You know, looking for somewhere else we can survive? It's sort of important that we check out other places before we go there.

Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM

10,773 posts, read 4,443,996 times
Good god. Where to even begin...?

Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

29,785 posts, read 16,467,363 times
Billions spent with no expectation of return and budget increases when none is delivered, makes NASA one big beautiful scam.

Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Billions spent with no expectation of return and budget increases when none is delivered, makes NASA one big beautiful scam.
Do you not realize how many contributions NASA has made to modern technology? Even the camera in your smart phone is a direct result of NASA research. In medicine alone NASA has been a game changer. There are lists available on the NASA website of products we wouldn’t have without space exploration. Out of all the alphabet agencies which our government spawns, NASA is probably the biggest net contributor to our modern lifestyle.

Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Um, that's kind of what NASA is doing with space exploration. You know, looking for somewhere else we can survive? It's sort of important that we check out other places before we go there.
We need to get the idea of colonizing other worlds totally out of our minds. It'll be totally impossible at any point in the foreseeable future.

It's a common fantasy...and I've been caught in it too because of how tempting it is, but we really don't need to examine the idea much to discover how useless of a goal that is.

Anywhere in the solar system that isn't Earth is going to be a considerably worse place to live than Earth after any disaster in the foreseeable future. We have absolutely zero need of more space. All we need are things that can only be found on Earth: oxygen, clean water, ideal temperatures, ideal gravity and stuff like that.

Now, eventually we'll have to move into space if our species survives long enough, and we will, if our species survives long enough...but for pretty much the entire foreseeable future, any attempt to make another planet more Earthlike is going to be more expensive than just enhancing the Earth.

We will never terraform Mars anytime in the foreseeable future. That'll take centuries if not more. Before it's terraformed, it's just an irradiated desert. People talk about colonizing it...but the place has no more value than Antarctica, and any residents there will swiftly figure that out and then all the billions spent to send them there will be totally wasted, because it won't function as a backup planet when nobody wants to live there. That'll be the same case with every planet that's not Earth.

We need to focus on making Earth as habitable as possible for as long as possible, and then people will naturally move off world due to political dissent just like they've always left their old country to colonize new and dangerous lands for. That'll eventually end our being a one planet species without any government involvement...but we just need to wait a few centuries. Trying to speed things up isn't going to do any good. It'll just make it less likely that we'll survive to reach that point through allocating funds to useless sources.

Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
We need to get the idea of colonizing other worlds totally out of our minds. It'll be totally impossible at any point in the foreseeable future.

It's a common fantasy...and I've been caught in it too because of how tempting it is, but we really don't need to examine the idea much to discover how useless of a goal that is.

Anywhere in the solar system that isn't Earth is going to be a considerably worse place to live than Earth after any disaster in the foreseeable future. We have absolutely zero need of more space. All we need are things that can only be found on Earth: oxygen, clean water, ideal temperatures, ideal gravity and stuff like that.

Now, eventually we'll have to move into space if our species survives long enough, and we will, if our species survives long enough...but for pretty much the entire foreseeable future, any attempt to make another planet more Earthlike is going to be more expensive than just enhancing the Earth.

We will never terraform Mars anytime in the foreseeable future. That'll take centuries if not more. Before it's terraformed, it's just an irradiated desert. People talk about colonizing it...but the place has no more value than Antarctica, and any residents there will swiftly figure that out and then all the billions spent to send them there will be totally wasted, because it won't function as a backup planet when nobody wants to live there. That'll be the same case with every planet that's not Earth.

We need to focus on making Earth as habitable as possible for as long as possible, and then people will naturally move off world due to political dissent just like they've always left their old country to colonize new and dangerous lands for. That'll eventually end our being a one planet species without any government involvement...but we just need to wait a few centuries. Trying to speed things up isn't going to do any good. It'll just make it less likely that we'll survive to reach that point through allocating funds to useless sources.
You need to research NASA a bit more before you call for it to change its mission. A lot of things you take for granted are a direct result of the space program, including medical equipment and technologies which are used every day to help people survive.

Even the very basic knowledge of climate we have is majorly dependent on NASA contributions to science. How do you think weather satellites got launched into space? A giant slingshot? We wouldn’t even be discussing climate change without NASA.

With the amount of technology that has already been contributed by NASA in the exploration of space, I’m willing to bet that future contributions are going to be even better. I despise wasted tax dollars even more than most, but again, NASA is a net contributor to society - unlike a whole bunch of other alphabet agencies.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You need to research NASA a bit more before you call for it to change its mission. A lot of things you take for granted are a direct result of the space program, including medical equipment and technologies which are used every day to help people survive.

Even the very basic knowledge of climate we have is majorly dependent on NASA contributions to science. How do you think weather satellites got launched into space? A giant slingshot? We wouldn’t even be discussing climate change without NASA.

With the amount of technology that has already been contributed by NASA in the exploration of space, I’m willing to bet that future contributions are going to be even better. I despise wasted tax dollars even more than most, but again, NASA is a net contributor to society - unlike a whole bunch of other alphabet agencies.
I agree with that, and that NASA is a net contributor to society.

But they could probably invent a lot of these new technologies that result in those contributions to society without actually building many of the space-flight capable objects that are so costly. I'm not talking about most satellites around Earth. I'm talking about the sorts of probes that head into deep space.

I see no reason to go to Mars, except that NASA seems to have already invested in it, and I see no reason to head back to the moon except for similar reasons. I see no reason to send further Mars rovers, or probes to explore other planets at any point in the forseable future...unless they've already been invested in.

Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM

21,572 posts, read 11,631,561 times
The dumbed down NASA.

Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM

970 posts, read 792,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
blah blah blah

troll is troll but i can't resist.

camera phones

scratch resistant lenses

CAT scan

LED's

land mine removal

athletic shoes

foil blankets

water purification systems

dust buster

ear thermometers

home insulation

jaws of life

wireless headsets

memory foam

freeze dried food

adjustable smoke detector

baby formula

artificial limbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies