U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 11:42 AM

5,099 posts, read 1,267,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I can't for the life of me understand how progressives can't see that progressivism and open borders are not compatible. If you have a big welfare state, you have to have controlled borders. If not, the watch as the welfare state implodes upon itself. They have learned this in Sweden, and now are trying to sort out the resulting mess.

It's almost like the current Democratic field wants to hand over the US to Trump another 4 years.
Seems kind of obvious, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They have always ignored the Black vote because it's all but guaranteed that Blacks will vote Dem.
Oh they come out during election time to remind them how bad the Repubs are to the Blacks but that's about it.
Oh, I think a few $$ probably changes hands as well...

Old 07-20-2019, 11:47 AM

131 posts, read 45,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Based on right now, I suspect many voters will once, again hold their noses and vote for Trump. Election is 16 months away. Anything could happen.
I'm starting to think that too. Anybody who was leaning toward voting for the DNC instead this time, probably watched those DNC debates and did a collective face-palm when all the candidates raised their hands at certain times.

Oops.

But we'll have to wait and see. Let's see what the next debates show the potential voters around the country.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:51 AM

843 posts, read 178,030 times
I honestly don't think many Americans are on board with "free" health insurance for illegals that we taxpayers will pay for which all of the major Dem candidates support.

It's bad enough that we have our own health insurance to worry about never mind pay for theirs as well.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:04 PM

14,239 posts, read 6,138,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Sad news for the Democrats about this. Giving rights to Illegals, Amnesty for Illegals, Open Borders, Globalism, Free Trade, Calling Betsy Ross and the Moon Landings Racist, hating on Whites. None of these core Democrat values is going to win back voters, even in a bad economy.
Especially in a bad economy

Old 07-20-2019, 01:22 PM

66,690 posts, read 30,448,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I will hold my nose and vote for Biden. And if the Democratic nominee is one of the lefties (Sanders, Warren, etc.) I'll hold my nose and stay home.
Biden? Guffaw!!! Biden is running on Obama's infamous LIE.

Biden Repeats Obamacare Lie: ďIf You Like Your Healthcare PlanÖYou Can Keep ItĒ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfRgtitJzDU

Old 07-20-2019, 01:28 PM

66,690 posts, read 30,448,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
On the one hand this is true - they have shifted their main minority outreach/social justice focus from the black community to the Latino and Muslim communities, in large part because these communities are growing faster, and also because regardless of their immigrant status, many of their US-born citizen children are coming or will come soon to voting age and they want to try to snag them.

An 18 year old born in the US whose dad never managed to get residency and is over the border, or whose mom or uncle got deported and can't get back in, is going to take The Squadô going to the border facilities or Elizabeth Warren saying that we need amnesty and open borders and place that against Trump's "build the wall" and weigh which one benefits them more personally. Not a difficult decision to make.

They are betting that it will benefit them more to appeal to young first/second generation minorities, generally clustered in urban areas, than it will to appeal to young white people who are spread across wider swaths of the US. That's all fine and dandy, but they should look at an electoral map this time, since Hilary's campaign didn't.

On the other hand, the GOP hasn't made any real or effective overtures to the black community and is banking on white people dominating the polls for the foreseeable future and an eventual shift in conservative black voters over to their ranks. I do know black people who are Republicans or Trump supporters but they are not necessarily a sign of some sort of massive shift in the black community, and even they generally acknowledge and lament this. The GOP could do a lot more to try to appeal to the black community - silencing racist party members, giving more of a platform to black conservatives, and pushing a line of self-sustenance and community strength versus reliance on the same government that has traditionally oppressed them, but they haven't done this yet. It would be a "dirty" tactic, but they could also play up the DNC's shift towards other communities as abandonment and reach out to them. However, I don't see this happening any time soon because they don't want their rural white core to think that they are being abandoned.
I disagree. Trump, not Obama, got the Fist Step Act passed and signed it into law. The Dems, even Obama, did NOTHING for the Black community other than destroy their nuclear families with both welfare (families get more when the father isn't present) and strict sentencing laws.

Old 07-20-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I disagree. Trump, not Obama, got the Fist Step Act passed and signed it into law. The Dems, even Obama, did NOTHING for the Black community other than destroy their nuclear families with both welfare (families get more when the father isn't present) and strict sentencing laws.
Well, again, probably most MSM didn't even report on this.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:20 PM

559 posts, read 440,519 times
I have followed this thread from the beginning, but I didn't have anything to add to it until now. I was talking with a friend the other day. He is a liberal, registered Democrat. He is gay, lives in San Francisco, and works in academia. He surprised me by saying "Trump is going to win re-election". He went on to say that progressives are heading the Democratic Party into a major train wreck. He has nothing but disdain and disgust with the city government in SF, which is 100% Democrat. He said that recently at work they begin every meeting by going around the table and having everyone share their preferred pronoun for themselves- he, she, they, etc. He said that was the final straw. The real shock was when he said he is thinking of voting for Trump. He doesn't like Trump, didn't vote for him the last time, but said he will probably do it as a protest vote.

Then yesterday at work, I was speaking with another manager, a fairly liberal person (who I am pretty sure is a Democrat), and she said the same thing- "I think Trump is going to win". She mentioned the Democratic debate and bemoaned the fact that they are doubling down on the most outrageous policy positions- reparations, free healthcare for illegals, open borders, etc. She said it is pure madness.

Now, I realize these are just anecdotal examples, and do not prove a trend. But when I heard twice in the same week, from different liberal friends who do not know each other, state the same thing, and that it is beginning to be picked up here and there in the media, then something might be happening.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

27,026 posts, read 19,160,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I have followed this thread from the beginning, but I didn't have anything to add to it until now. I was talking with a friend the other day. He is a liberal, registered Democrat. He is gay, lives in San Francisco, and works in academia. He surprised me by saying "Trump is going to win re-election". He went on to say that progressives are heading the Democratic Party into a major train wreck. He has nothing but disdain and disgust with the city government in SF, which is 100% Democrat. He said that recently at work they begin every meeting by going around the table and having everyone share their preferred pronoun for themselves- he, she, they, etc. He said that was the final straw. The real shock was when he said he is thinking of voting for Trump. He doesn't like Trump, didn't vote for him the last time, but said he will probably do it as a protest vote.

Then yesterday at work, I was speaking with another manager, a fairly liberal person (who I am pretty sure is a Democrat), and she said the same thing- "I think Trump is going to win". She mentioned the Democratic debate and bemoaned the fact that they are doubling down on the most outrageous policy positions- reparations, free healthcare for illegals, open borders, etc. She said it is pure madness.

Now, I realize these are just anecdotal examples, and do not prove a trend. But when I heard twice in the same week, from different liberal friends who do not know each other, state the same thing, and that it is beginning to be picked up here and there in the media, then something might be happening.
when the dems manage to put together a group of candidates that manage to make Hillary look pretty good in comparison - yeah, something might be happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies