U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 08:39 PM
 
18,197 posts, read 11,171,012 times
Reputation: 9534

Advertisements

My prediction if Trump is reelected is the GOP will dump him as soon as he becomes a liability. After the election, there is NOTHING they need him for that Pence wouldn't do just for the glory of sitting in the big chair. After the election, Trump is all liability. The GOP has turned themselves into complete pretzels with Trump, defending things they would lose their minds over if done by a Democratic president. They are going to want to do a huge cleansing to try to restore some semblance of their reputations (but people will always know who the Trump supporters are - never forget). They know Pence will do whatever they want so don't be surprised if the GOP impeaches Trump or Trump decides he's not well because the GOP told him to step down or they will impeach him.

Trump's value to the GOP ends the minute the 2020 election is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 08:48 PM
 
19,017 posts, read 7,392,347 times
Reputation: 8113
The big question is: Does SC associate to be Amy Barrett, RBG's replacement, swear in POTUS Trump 1-20-2021, or is her first swearing in POTUS Pence 1-20-2025?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
559 posts, read 440,519 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
My prediction if Trump is reelected is the GOP will dump him as soon as he becomes a liability. After the election, there is NOTHING they need him for that Pence wouldn't do just for the glory of sitting in the big chair. After the election, Trump is all liability. The GOP has turned themselves into complete pretzels with Trump, defending things they would lose their minds over if done by a Democratic president. They are going to want to do a huge cleansing to try to restore some semblance of their reputations (but people will always know who the Trump supporters are - never forget). They know Pence will do whatever they want so don't be surprised if the GOP impeaches Trump or Trump decides he's not well because the GOP told him to step down or they will impeach him.

Trump's value to the GOP ends the minute the 2020 election is over.
You're not very familiar with the constitution, are you? A political party cannot "dump" a sitting president. A president has to commit an impeachable offense to be convicted and removed from office. In the most unlikeliest of scenarios which you describe - "the GOP told him to step down or they will impeach him" - do you really think if that were to happen, Trump would just meekly back down and resign? Your entire post is just fantasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:54 PM
 
18,197 posts, read 11,171,012 times
Reputation: 9534
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
You're not very familiar with the constitution, are you? A political party cannot "dump" a sitting president. A president has to commit an impeachable offense to be convicted and removed from office. In the most unlikeliest of scenarios which you describe - "the GOP told him to step down or they will impeach him" - do you really think if that were to happen, Trump would just meekly back down and resign? Your entire post is just fantasy.
I'm sure they have plenty of dirt on him. He's just more valuable now to them than he will be after the 2020 election. Let's just see what happens. I think Trump's popularity with the GOP will plunder after the election, he will never again be on the ballot, Pence will do anything they want without childishly alienating Canada and they would dump the tariffs immediately claiming mission accomplished. Let's just see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:03 PM
 
14,239 posts, read 6,138,067 times
Reputation: 8877
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I have followed this thread from the beginning, but I didn't have anything to add to it until now. I was talking with a friend the other day. He is a liberal, registered Democrat. He is gay, lives in San Francisco, and works in academia. He surprised me by saying "Trump is going to win re-election". He went on to say that progressives are heading the Democratic Party into a major train wreck. He has nothing but disdain and disgust with the city government in SF, which is 100% Democrat. He said that recently at work they begin every meeting by going around the table and having everyone share their preferred pronoun for themselves- he, she, they, etc. He said that was the final straw. The real shock was when he said he is thinking of voting for Trump. He doesn't like Trump, didn't vote for him the last time, but said he will probably do it as a protest vote.

Then yesterday at work, I was speaking with another manager, a fairly liberal person (who I am pretty sure is a Democrat), and she said the same thing- "I think Trump is going to win". She mentioned the Democratic debate and bemoaned the fact that they are doubling down on the most outrageous policy positions- reparations, free healthcare for illegals, open borders, etc. She said it is pure madness.

Now, I realize these are just anecdotal examples, and do not prove a trend. But when I heard twice in the same week, from different liberal friends who do not know each other, state the same thing, and that it is beginning to be picked up here and there in the media, then something might be happening.
If I lived in California I would vote straight Republican as a protest vote locally. They’ve got to try something new. If you have to have poop map apps just to walk around a city, then I’d say the government is a failure. Vote them out! And shake it up for a while with some Republicans. Maybe it would be good for that state. If it turns out bad, just vote them out in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:20 PM
 
18,197 posts, read 11,171,012 times
Reputation: 9534
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
If I lived in California I would vote straight Republican as a protest vote locally. Theyíve got to try something new. If you have to have poop map apps just to walk around a city, then Iíd say the government is a failure. Vote them out! And shake it up for a while with some Republicans. Maybe it would be good for that state. If it turns out bad, just vote them out in a few years.
Republicans have never been weaker in California. The Republicans raised their taxes by voting for Trump's tax cuts and eliminating SALT. Got that? The Republicans they did elect, caused them financial harm. On top of that, Republicans want to limit how much states can protect their own environment. California remembers well when pollution was so bad and they consider environmental standards an absolute. California is the 5th largest economy in the world and contributes more federal dollars than it gets back. Raising their taxes only made that situation worse and they have their own Republican representatives to thank. Many California Republicans lost their seats in 2018 after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top