U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 01:04 PM

4,226 posts, read 951,108 times

Advertisements

Asian-Americans will always vote Democrat, sorry to disappoint you and possibly ruin your day.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:15 PM

5,748 posts, read 3,695,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Asian-Americans will always vote Democrat, sorry to disappoint you and possibly ruin your day.

Some will, some won't. Same as it ever was. The question is, will more of them start trending Republican? I certainly do think that the affirmative action issues going on might cause this to happen.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Some will, some won't. Same as it ever was. The question is, will more of them start trending Republican? I certainly do think that the affirmative action issues going on might cause this to happen.
Iím half-Asian, live in the San Gabriel Valley, know many Chinese-Americans here, and they are not happy with where the Republican/Trump Party is going, in fact most of my friends here are supporting Warren, Harris, or Buttigieg for President.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:30 PM

5,748 posts, read 3,695,229 times
Quote:
Iím half-Asian, live in the San Gabriel Valley, know many Chinese-Americans here, and they are not happy with where the Republican/Trump Party is going, in fact most of my friends here are supporting Warren, Harris, or Buttigieg for President.

And I'm zero percent Asian and I live on the opposite coast. But the brother of a friend of mine worked on the Trump campaign, while another man would sit on the bus next to me and talk up Trump during the election campaign. Both of these men are Asian. Between them, and you, my point stands: some Asians will vote Republican and some won't.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:30 PM

23,507 posts, read 12,430,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Don't forget their anger in CA over the constant attempts by Dems to outlaw charter schools.
You feel this or know this?

Old 07-19-2019, 01:35 PM

33,416 posts, read 20,237,964 times
Quote:
I am 1/4 Japanese and my WHOLE family voted conservative party, but I can only speak for myself. "Asian" culture is a little bit far away from my other family members, they don't worry about Asian issues at all, nor are they interested in them. I've spent years in Japan and China, so Asian culture is interesting to me. But politically, I am a conservative, always have been and always will be.

ALL my Japanese-American friends are at least third generation. I say 80% Republican, 20% Democrats.

I don't doubt your experience though, we probably just have different friends.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am 1/4 Japanese and my WHOLE family voted conservative party, but I can only speak for myself. "Asian" culture is a little bit far away from my other family members, they don't worry about Asian issues at all, nor are they interested in them. I've spent years in Japan and China, so Asian culture is interesting to me. But politically, I am a conservative, always have been and always will be.

ALL my Japanese-American friends are at least third generation. I say 80% Republican, 20% Democrats.

I don't doubt your experience though, we probably just have different friends.
Iím not saying that some people in the Asian-American community wonít vote for Republicans, Iím just telling you my personal experience. I have always been a Progressive/Democrat so thatís who my friends mostly are too, but believe it or not, one of my closest friends is actually a Republican, and heís Chinese, but he still is not a big Trump fan. He actually said that when McCain died, part of his party did too.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:35 PM

15,691 posts, read 4,157,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
This article makes a point:

Final note: though disputed, many exit polls showed Asian Americans leaning much more Republican in recent years in the red tide elections of 2014. So we may have already seen the beginning.
These people, IMHO, are anything but single issue voters.
You mention 2014 but not 2018?

Did 2018 show the same? Or different?

I cannot imagine most Asian Americans supporting a guy like Trump and the current GOP due to just the "reality" gap. That is, Asian Americans are science and reason based. They tend less religious or, at minimum, have religions that are part of their traditions (honor of family, ancestors, etc.).

Since only 6% of Scientists ID as Republican...and Scientists contain a lot of Asian Americans, this would seem to point in the direction I mention.

The practical applies here - Fundamentalism that disputes science and reality (like no stem cell research), cuts in R&D for Science and Medicine and the lack of leaders in high places with Science and Engineering credentials would seem to be something these people are not really into.....

"Affirmative Action: 58% of Asian Americans think affirmative action programs designed to increase the number of black and minority students on college campuses are a ďgood thing,Ē and an even larger 66% favor affirmative action programs designed to help African Americans, women, and other minorities get better access to higher education."

"Party Prospects in 2018 Midterms: Democratic Party candidates enjoy strong advantages among Asian American voters when compared to Republican candidates, both in U.S. Senate races (52%-28%) and in House races (50%-28%)."

Old 07-19-2019, 02:38 PM

27,242 posts, read 19,238,937 times
Quote:
Quote:
Iím not saying that some people in the Asian-American community wonít vote for Republicans

Old 07-19-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I’m saying the majority of Asian-Americans, sorry that you don’t understand that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or