U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM

17,068 posts, read 8,665,324 times

Advertisements

Strange how they handed London over to the barbarians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM

10,257 posts, read 6,297,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Excuses like the 4th Amendment?

Its not just liberals, I know some conservatives who still respect it.

I'm aware of it and fixed my reply, hope it makes you feel better.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

14,256 posts, read 11,660,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Knife Laws in England & Wales have been tightened however legislation is not something new, indeed the Prevention of Crime Act 1953, Section 1(1) states it is an offence to carry an offensive weapon on or about the person while in a public place without a lawful authority or reasonable excuse. Prohibited weapons may include a knuckleduster, baton, hammer or knife.

The Prevention of Crime Act 1953, Section 1(1) is still the main legislation used in relation to the carryng of knives and other offensive weapons in public places without lawful authority or a reasonable excuse.

Other important legislation includes the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959, Criminal Justice Act 1988, Offensive Weapons Act 1996 and Knives Act 1997.

Generally you must have a good reason to carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less.

In terms of kitchen knives in homes, that is total nonsense, and there ids nothing stopping you having kitchen knives or oyher tools in your home, or carrying them packaged from a shop to your home, which would be deemes a valid reason to be carring a knife.

The latest piece of legislation is the Offensive Weapons Act 2019.

Interesting. Thanks for the intell. To compare notes so to speak violent crime involving weapons, be it firearms, edged implements what have you, is more prevelant in certain areas of certain cities in certain states. Our neighbor to the West here, CA has a serious issue with gang related violence like drive by shootings and just murders and mayhem in general in their urban areas.

Despite a plethora of laws that either heavily restrict or outright deny citizens the right to arms and self defense in general they have copious murder and mayhem every day. And very interesting is the fact that more non criminal citizens who either defend themselves against criminal attack or are found to be in possession of a firearm in violation of one law or the other are arrested and prosecuted than actual criminals. Firearms are not illegal per se in CA but there are thousands of nit picky laws on the books that one could be in violation of for easily overlooked reasons. And all these laws which supposedly target criminals and are suppose to deter crime effect the law abiding and honest citizen far harder than the criminal.

Sheesh CA allows criminals who are shot or otherwise physically injured while in the commission of a violent crime to pursue civil litigation against whoever injured them. And it is likely that person was arrested and prosecuted as well. It's insane. I live in Carson City here in N NV. We are not far from much larger Reno/Sparks. Our self defense and weapons laws are much different than CAs. We have the right to self defense and ownership /use of arms. Criminals cannot sue a citizen who shot him in the commission of a violent crime.

If I so desire I can buckle on my gunbelt and go grocery shopping. I don't do that , I carry more incognito but I can if I feel the need. It's not unusual at all to run into armed people carrying openly on the street, in the store whatever. And contrary to the dire predictions of some we do not have scenes from Tombstone acting out every day. Things are nice and quiet actually. When shootings happen it is criminals shooting each other, which is fine with us. And that is pretty rare.

Criminal attacks on citizens are hardly a common occurance. They do happen, I was involved in such a case some years back. But had I not been armed I would have been quite dead. Had I been in CA that most certainly would have been the case. So, here in the US denial of personal arms and seriously restricting the right to self defense has increased criminal activity. Hugely.

There seems to be a different scenario in the UK. This is why so many here are calling for UK style laws I believe but the why of this is in question. What works (maybe) in the UK does not work here. Many reasons for this are given the biggest being claims that citizens having access to arms is why criminals have such easy access. But criminals don't buy their weapons at Cabelas or complete all the required paperwork and background check. Stolen arms from citizens are said to be where the bad guys get their guns but that makes up an tiny (microscopic) number of guns in criminal hands in reality.

Weapons funnel up from Mexico in rivers, supplied by the cartels, who get them from all over the world. The AKs, M4s, Glocks and East bloc handguns like Mackarovs and Tokarevs are not coming from civilian sources here. You do not have such a well financed and large supplier(s) in the UK seeping through a very leaky border. The advantage to being an island nation perhaps. At any rate if your laws are working for you there I applaud that. Carry on regardless.

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

9,635 posts, read 4,617,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Knife Laws in England & Wales have been tightened however legislation is not something new, indeed the Prevention of Crime Act 1953, Section 1(1) states it is an offence to carry an offensive weapon on or about the person while in a public place without a lawful authority or reasonable excuse. Prohibited weapons may include a knuckleduster, baton, hammer or knife.

The Prevention of Crime Act 1953, Section 1(1) is still the main legislation used in relation to the carryng of knives and other offensive weapons in public places without lawful authority or a reasonable excuse.

Other important legislation includes the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959, Criminal Justice Act 1988, Offensive Weapons Act 1996 and Knives Act 1997.

Generally you must have a good reason to carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less.

In terms of kitchen knives in homes, that is total nonsense, and there ids nothing stopping you having kitchen knives or oyher tools in your home, or carrying them packaged from a shop to your home, which would be deemes a valid reason to be carring a knife.

The latest piece of legislation is the Offensive Weapons Act 2019.

Terrorism was the motive in the London Bridge terror attacks, when knives were used but overall it is not common, and has little to do with knife crimes in the UK, the main fatorts being domestic violence, robbery and gangs.
What about the recent attempt to outlaw ALL knives with a point in the UK? The story was on BBC.

Old Today, 04:38 AM

11,707 posts, read 4,005,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
What about the recent attempt to outlaw ALL knives with a point in the UK? The story was on BBC.
There are no plans to outlaw knives with points, and no such legislation has been seriously proposed by any politician.

Knives are often used in the home or workplaces.

In terms of legislation, new police powers, more stop and search, investment in police numbers and the creation of succesful multi agency violence reduction units are the best way forward.

Old Today, 05:20 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,114,856 times
Not that I trust Sky News to give a non-politically correct report, they have had reports showing many of the knife attacks are by black gang members against other black gang members. Some of these guys have been killed after posting music videos about themselves and their gangs.

I'm not saying all the knife attack victims are black gang members, not sure if the police would release those numbers, and I don't trust Sky News to give full perspective on the issue, doesn't seem to be their thing. Roku has a Sky News channel and I watch that almost every day as one source of news info.

A big issue that does have to do with Muslims, since at least one person mentioned them, are the acid attacks. Not that they are the only ones doing it. I can't imagine even thinking about doing that to someone. Pure evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or