U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:16 AM

4,276 posts, read 2,525,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Point out the racial undertones in the marketing. I swear those who hallucinate racism are full blown nuts.
And those of you who deny racism exists (except when you point out black racism of course) like to ignore anything short of a white hood could possibly be racist.

Last edited by CaseyB; Today at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:21 AM
Status: "You are only coming through in waves." (set 1 hour ago)

8,098 posts, read 3,171,719 times
Has anyone ever seen the ads for these devices? They always show white people committing the crimes.

Old Today, 06:24 AM

623 posts, read 183,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Actually, most of the porch pirate videos I have seen were white. Many were dog walking. Think the dog may be the cover for them.
Yep usually white teenage punks.

Old Today, 06:24 AM
Status: "You are only coming through in waves." (set 1 hour ago)

8,098 posts, read 3,171,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
And those of you who deny racism exists (except when you point out black racism of course) like to ignore anything short of a white hood could possibly be racist.
Who is denying racism exists? Doorbell cams are not racist, and neither is the concept of doorbell cams. There are plenty of potential concerns about them but racism isn't one of them. No racial angle needed here and it's ridiculous for the reporters who made this article to try to push one. It's a distraction from the real issue.

Old Today, 06:27 AM

3,895 posts, read 993,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Why are white people so obsessed with race????

Why is race such an issue?

Old Today, 06:29 AM

10,278 posts, read 4,104,138 times
I think these cameras will do the opposite of what this English professor is imagining.

In my observation, people with surveillance cameras on their homes DO tend to believe the crimes are being committed by people of color. And construction workers. (Who, btw, seem to be great witnesses for solving daytime crime, not committing it).

Here you'll have it. You'll be able to SEE who is committing the crimes and solve the question once and for all. Is it people of color, or not? I would say the video wouldn't reinforce race barriers, but in many cases, knock them down. Nothing's worse than having crimes committed and you just have GUESS who is committing them.

BTW, some interesting things caught on Ring around here:

1. The dog walker didn't walk the dogs, but rather, let them out in the backyard for about 10 minutes

2. The three hour maid service only really stayed an hour and 15 minutes

3. There was strung-out looking guy who scaled a home's 2 story stone pillars like a monkey, and spent some time hanging out on the roof

Old Today, 06:31 AM

623 posts, read 183,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
That’s because you guys use the word too often. You use the word racist for anything you don’t like or for anyone who disagrees with you. It’s basically the boy who cried Wolf and we’re starting to get desensitized to it. Use it appropriately and perhaps we will take you more seriously.

Also if crime is down perhaps the cameras are partially the reason. I wonder if the writer of that article had considered this.

Old Today, 06:35 AM

27,617 posts, read 17,675,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Why are white people so obsessed with race????
What makes you think AMY FORLITI and MATT O'BRIEN (the authors of the article) are white? They might be-not sure. The OP is commenting on the utter stupidity of those people labeling doorbell cams as racist, not about race. To answer your question, you'd have to talk to the authors.

Old Today, 06:36 AM

14,747 posts, read 10,645,247 times
Lol - we got one in Northern Virginia to avoid answering the door when people kept ringing our bell offering to trim our trees, hoping to collect for some charity, sell us new windows, or other annoying things. It was awesome. We don’t have that issue here, too far to walk between homes, so we haven’t gotten one.

On the other hand, they don’t record based on the race of the person so it seems like they would be the opposite of a tool of racism. I imagine they show the perps are more likely than not the same race as the bulk of the residents of the neighborhood.

Old Today, 06:37 AM

10,278 posts, read 4,104,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What makes you think AMY FORLITI and MATT O'BRIEN (the authors of the article) are white? They might be-not sure. The OP is commenting on the utter stupidity of those people labeling doorbell cams as racist, not about race. To answer your question, you'd have to talk to the authors.
Well, actually, the contention about suspicion of minorities is a quote by an English Professor. It's not an opinion of the authors of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies