U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:20 PM

7,500 posts, read 4,254,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Why is race such an issue?
Because leftists have turned it into a weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:50 PM
Status: "Crooked Trump accused of rape and nobody cares." (set 13 days ago)

8,144 posts, read 5,825,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
But as more police agencies join with the company known as Ring, the partnerships are raising privacy concerns. Critics complain that the systems turn neighborhoods into places of constant surveillance and create suspicion that falls heavier on minorities.

<snip>
I agree somewhat with the bold.

On my Ring App the other day someone posted a video of an older black lady ringing her door bell. Then she proceeded to try and open the door, then just stood there like she was lost. This woman looked to be in her 80s and was clearly lost and confused. She had a small dog with her. And it was very hot that day.

The person wrote in the header, I don't know who this is but it looks like this elderly black woman is trying to break into my house. Most of the messages took issue with that statement and mentioned she may be lost and/or had dementia and should try and help her. The person never came back with an update. I remember later that day, I tried to pull up that post and it was deleted so we don't know what was the outcome.

Old Today, 02:55 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 17 days ago)

9,658 posts, read 3,687,967 times
Why can't someone have a doorbell cam on their own private property???

If I don't know you, then you probably don't belong on my doorstep.

Old Today, 03:06 PM

35,261 posts, read 32,214,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Perhaps you have never had your home cased or targeted, but some of us have. Some people do go online and alert about solicitors, strangers going door to door, and nothing wrong with that. Just a few weeks ago I followed a couple weirdos who bothered my elderly neighbor, right to the border of town. Any time we have a problem like this they are from out of state or from a certain city nearby. They are too stupid to know that people here are prepared and vigilant, look out for each other, not urban hipster wimps like the people they rob in their city.
My place and 8 other neighbors were burglarized in the same day. From that day I've had cameras on 24/7.

Cops caught the guy. It was not a white guy not that it matters. It has helped bring our neighborhood together.

The rage you feel when you know someone went through your kid's rooms is something you can't describe unless you've been there.

Old Today, 07:20 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,595,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
But as more police agencies join with the company known as Ring, the partnerships are raising privacy concerns. Critics complain that the systems turn neighborhoods into places of constant surveillance and create suspicion that falls heavier on minorities.

<snip>

“Amazon is profiting off of fear,” said Chris Gilliard, an English professor at Michigan’s Macomb Community College and a prominent critic of Ring and other technology that he says can reinforce race barriers.

https://www.apnews.com/9371972bf7bf4f28949a6167a75b3c85

There are real, legitimate privacy concerns with these cameras, and the article does get in to some of those. But I'm sorry if these cameras are catching more minorities committing crimes, then more minorities are committing crimes. Unless there is an option for the cameras to only record when minorities come to your door? I'm pretty sure we'd have heard about that if it were the case.

The racial angle adds nothing to this story and in fact serves as a distraction. We don't always have to go "there".
I am not sure I get what your complaint is. People say all kinds of odd things. So what if Chris Gilliard brought up the race thing. I take it as much to be a comment on how it is unfortunate that neighborhoods have to use cams than it being an assertion that cams are somehow racist. I would just ignore it.

BTW, I have a cam but not a door cam. I also have a gate on our driveway. Cam is aimed at the gate (we live in a rural area with a long driveway). Just the sight of it keeps the riff raff away. I love it.

As far as the fear angle - the whole country runs on fear. We wouldn't have police or locks on our doors or 200 million guns if people weren't afraid. Fear sells. Marketing guys know that. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies