U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:33 AM
Status: "You are only coming through in waves." (set 27 minutes ago)

8,096 posts, read 3,171,719 times

Advertisements

But as more police agencies join with the company known as Ring, the partnerships are raising privacy concerns. Critics complain that the systems turn neighborhoods into places of constant surveillance and create suspicion that falls heavier on minorities.

<snip>

“Amazon is profiting off of fear,” said Chris Gilliard, an English professor at Michigan’s Macomb Community College and a prominent critic of Ring and other technology that he says can reinforce race barriers.

https://www.apnews.com/9371972bf7bf4f28949a6167a75b3c85

There are real, legitimate privacy concerns with these cameras, and the article does get in to some of those. But I'm sorry if these cameras are catching more minorities committing crimes, then more minorities are committing crimes. Unless there is an option for the cameras to only record when minorities come to your door? I'm pretty sure we'd have heard about that if it were the case.

The racial angle adds nothing to this story and in fact serves as a distraction. We don't always have to go "there".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:48 AM

10,015 posts, read 8,101,457 times
Actually, most of the porch pirate videos I have seen were white. Many were dog walking. Think the dog may be the cover for them.

Old Today, 05:52 AM

3,895 posts, read 993,624 times
Thieves come in all colors. Officers come in blue.
God Bless our Policemen.

Old Today, 05:53 AM

4,017 posts, read 2,061,666 times
Why are white people so obsessed with race????

Old Today, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Actually, most of the porch pirate videos I have seen were white. Many were dog walking. Think the dog may be the cover for them.
Well the cameras don't lie. If that's what they're recording then that's what's happening. There are many potential problems with this sort of neighborhood wide surveillance but racial bias isn't one of them.

Old Today, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Why are white people so obsessed with race????
Because minorities are the shock troops in a cultural war being waged by two white factions.

Old Today, 06:06 AM

15,383 posts, read 17,645,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
if these cameras are catching more minorities committing crimes, then more minorities are committing crimes.
Nothing in the article states anything about minorities committing crimes. The article states:

" marketing its cameras by stirring up fear of crime at a time when it’s decreasing."

"....selling the cameras “where the fear of crime is more real than the actual existence of crime.” "

Old Today, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Nothing in the article states anything about minorities committing crimes. The article states:

"....selling the cameras “where the fear of crime is more real than the actual existence of crime.” "
So you agree that doorbell cams are racist?

Old Today, 06:12 AM

4,276 posts, read 2,525,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
So you agree that doorbell cams are racist?
That's an interesting way to comprehend that information. It seemed implied that the marketing is using racial undertones. Not the technology itself. Add that to the news stories about people shooting random black people for simply being at their front porch "because they were scared for their life".

Old Today, 06:14 AM

13,169 posts, read 4,496,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
That's an interesting way to comprehend that information. It seemed implied that the marketing is using racial undertones. Not the technology itself. Add that to the news stories about people shooting random black people for simply being at their front porch "because they were scared for their life".
Point out the racial undertones in the marketing. I swear those who hallucinate racism are full blown nuts.

Last edited by CaseyB; Today at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies