U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2019, 12:05 PM
 
9,667 posts, read 2,376,318 times
Reputation: 4796

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Fact Check: ‘More Republicans Voted for the Civil Rights Act as a Percentage Than Democrats Did’

Verdict: True

You do realize that in the era of the 1950's and 1960's and even the 1970's there was such a thing as a liberal Republican, and a moderate Republican. Don't you?

You would also realize that the Democratic party had many 'Blue Dogs', mostly in the south, who later in their careers transferred over to the Republican party, right?

You do also know that after a large number of conservative Democrats went over to the Republican party, the party subsequently purged it's more liberal members, and then then purged many of it's moderate members ... of course you do.

You understand political history, don't you? I am sure you think so.

Can you tell us with certainty that if the Civil Rights Act was to come up fresh today for the first time the same proportion of Republicans would vote for it as did in 1964?

Would a Republican president today promote the bill, as Kennedy did then?

From my recollection, the Republican party has ben running against the Civil Rights act ever since. You need to think about the implications of your post.

 
Old 07-19-2019, 12:08 PM
 
4,834 posts, read 950,459 times
Reputation: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
If you don't want to hear the word racist, start speaking up against racist behavior. You can start with Trump.
Not talking about Trump per se, but there are some statements that people might deem as "racist" that objectively are not racist by any stretch of the word.
 
Old 07-19-2019, 12:12 PM
 
39,393 posts, read 20,479,805 times
Reputation: 12841
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I was called racist once, just once. However it wasn't for doing anything racist, I was doing my job that I applied EQUALLY to customers. I just asked for it when I didn't see a signature on a credit card. I had white people get mad at me too but the African American couple I was wringing up commented "Of course a white man would ask that..." something to that effect, it was 12 years ago.

I am not racist. I dated African-American women, Native American women and even mixed women along with white American women. I was in a prodemantly African-American Boy Scout troop. I am racially color-blind and I thank my parents for that.

I wish racism was dead but people always find a new way to be it and a new way to defend it. FYI, I'm saying even towards whites.
When I was a new Nurse I walked into a patients room, the patient was arresting. There was a CNA, black girl in the room. I ran to the patient and told the girl to get the nurses. A wk later I was called into the head nurses office and told the CNA accused me of racism because I told her to get the nurses. What!? Surprised I protested. The head nurse just shook her head (knowing it was ridiculous) and said she was required to talk to me.

Even though I went to school with about a 70/30 white to black ratio, that was my 1st experience of someone who had an ax to grind and saw everything as racist.
 
Old 07-19-2019, 12:19 PM
 
2,369 posts, read 651,849 times
Reputation: 2491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
A great many of the comments on this thread are demonstrating the OPs point. Thank you libs.
If you want racism to be buried, may I ask why you are not telling that to the Republican Party and President Trump?

He after all is the one who decided to rely on an even more overt and blunt racism than he used in the campaign of 2016.

He's bitten off more than he and the Republicans can chew, this time. The GOP is stuck with him, and this onslaught of transparent spins and worn out psychological deflection is dreadful. Americans are not deaf, dumb and blind.

I don't think your guy Trump wants it buried. Americans know that. Time to embrace him and racism or reject it. I know where I am.
 
Old 07-19-2019, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Florida
22,502 posts, read 9,565,215 times
Reputation: 18353
No, it should stay alive and kicking.

Would rather bury the racists.
 
Old 07-19-2019, 12:58 PM
 
27,230 posts, read 19,230,949 times
Reputation: 14533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
You do realize that in the era of the 1950's and 1960's and even the 1970's there was such a thing as a liberal Republican, and a moderate Republican. Don't you?

You would also realize that the Democratic party had many 'Blue Dogs', mostly in the south, who later in their careers transferred over to the Republican party, right?

You do also know that after a large number of conservative Democrats went over to the Republican party, the party subsequently purged it's more liberal members, and then then purged many of it's moderate members ... of course you do.

You understand political history, don't you? I am sure you think so.

Can you tell us with certainty that if the Civil Rights Act was to come up fresh today for the first time the same proportion of Republicans would vote for it as did in 1964?

Would a Republican president today promote the bill, as Kennedy did then?

From my recollection, the Republican party has ben running against the Civil Rights act ever since. You need to think about the implications of your post.
that's sure a lot of words to completely fail in disproving the fact that more republicans voted for the civil rights act as a percentage than democrats did.
 
Old 07-19-2019, 01:41 PM
 
9,667 posts, read 2,376,318 times
Reputation: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Fact Check: ‘More Republicans Voted for the Civil Rights Act as a Percentage Than Democrats Did’

Verdict: True

You do realize that in the era of the 1950's and 1960's and even the 1970's there was such a thing as a liberal Republican, and a moderate Republican. Don't you?

You would also realize that the Democratic party had many 'Blue Dogs', mostly in the south, who later in their careers transferred over to the Republican party, right?

You do also know that after a large number of conservative Democrats went over to the Republican party, the party subsequently purged it's more liberal members, and then then purged many of it's moderate members ... of course you do.

You understand political history, don't you? I am sure you think so.

Can you tell us with certainty that if the Civil Rights Act was to come up fresh today for the first time the same proportion of Republicans would vote for it as did in 1964?

Would a Republican president today promote the bill, as Kennedy did then?

From my recollection, the Republican party has ben running against the Civil Rights act ever since. You need to think about the implications of your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that's sure a lot of words to completely fail in disproving the fact that more republicans voted for the civil rights act as a percentage than democrats did.
I was not trying to disprove your statement. I did ask you some basic foundational questions about the time and the vote which you refuse to answer though.
 
Old 07-19-2019, 01:50 PM
 
Location: So Cal
40,618 posts, read 40,154,838 times
Reputation: 42039
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When I was a new Nurse I walked into a patients room in the ICU, the patient was arresting. There was a CNA, black girl in the room. I ran toward the patient and told the girl to get the nurses. About a wk later I was called into the head nurses office and told the CNA accused me of racism. Surprised I protested (the man was arresting). The head nurse just shook her head (knowing it was ridiculous) and said she has to talk to me.

Even though I went to school with about a 70/30 white to black ratio, that was my 1st experience of someone who had an ax to grind and saw everything as racist.
I work with a guy that is probably the most hyper-sensitive person I've ever seen regarding race. He's Mexican American, or Latino, or Hispanic. I don't know what the right term is these days.

I work with him and EVERY SINGLE DAY something about race always comes up, can't go a day without talking about some race based issue.

Race talk bores the hell out of me. People in my opinion are and have far more to offer than what race they are.
 
Old 07-19-2019, 02:18 PM
 
19,488 posts, read 12,336,074 times
Reputation: 10730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Oh, the irony of white people saying the word racist is overused. (And, yes, I am white and, yes, I know people can be racist toward a white person)

In a way, I might actually agree with the OP to a certain extent that the word is overused. I honestly do not know of Trump is racist. I have my suspicions based solely on his own words and actions. But calling him racist does not do much to the conversation. Some people close their ears and eyes and storm around the room claiming he's not racist because his daughter married a Jewish man or because he has had a lot of African-American associates. That's like saying former Atlanta Braves pitcher John Rocker can't be racist because he played with a lot of black baseball players. That argument does not hold up to the strong light of logic and common sense.

What Trump said about the four Congresswomen was really patently stupid and in my opinion unAmerican. You don't call out people's [patriotism just because you disagree with them. You don't say "love it or leave it" unless you're stupid and cannot think past a fourth grade level. And you don't stand back and soak in people chanting "send her back" for 13 seconds unless you agree with the sentiment.

By Trump's own logic, he should have left the country when Obama was president and Trump kept putting the country down.

Trump -- If you don't love our country, you can go back to where you came from.

Also Trump -- If you don't love YOUR country, you just stay there and make it better.
Another self loathing liberal who thinks only white people can ge racist. Blacks are very racist and commit most of the racial hate crimes in America.

You are blinded by PC propaganda and liberalism.
 
Old 07-19-2019, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Central Illinois -
21,695 posts, read 14,443,766 times
Reputation: 14875
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
This word is so overused. It is being used to harm white people. Since the word, "ni**er has been buried its time to bury the equivalent word amoungst todays true racists. The most prolific users of the words are racist. They mostly consist of people who hate white people and want to demoralize them. The democratic party today headed by, "the squad", should be the ones to introduce this to the public and lead the funeral for the dead word. The tombs will be next to each other..ni**er and racist. I think it was Sharpton who suggested we bury ni**ger. Any language denograding a race should stop. So today we are executing the favorite word of the liberal party. Rest in peace.
There is so much racism being exhibited under Trump that his supporters want to ban the word.

Why am I not the least bit surprised?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top