U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 07:17 PM

11,223 posts, read 4,592,263 times

Advertisements

Yes. White males in the US ran the space race, because by and large they were the ones with the education and experience to do so. The movie Hidden Figures was interesting, because it showed that there were also black women behind a small amount of the science.

What should the US have done, in the 60s? Decide to hold off a generation or two to go to the moon so that all races/genders could be equally involved? I don't think anyone doubts that they used the best talent available. And at that time, excellent engineering was white, and male, with a very few others in the mix.

And frankly, leading edge high tech in the US right now is overwhelmingly male, anglo and asian. Because at this point in time, we have a lot more Asians who have the skills to compete in the marketplace (and that includes Indians).

That's the talent pool for excellence in engineering. Despite the real efforts by high tech firms to hire other demographics. And lord, they do jump when someone from another demographic who is qualified applies for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 08:32 PM

33,417 posts, read 17,119,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What should the US have done, in the 60s? Decide to hold off a generation or two to go to the moon so that all races/genders could be equally involved? I don't think anyone doubts that they used the best talent available. And at that time, excellent engineering was white, and male, with a very few others in the mix.
I don't think one suggested otherwise. NYT is merely using Apollo as a jumping-off point to comment on the gender & race attitudes of the 1960s.

It takes a special kind of eagerness to be offended to take that as a criticism of the Apollo program in and of itself, but hey - Waldokitty.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:36 PM

32,984 posts, read 37,398,360 times
You and your kids walking around today without Polio?

Thank an old white man from the 1950's.

He even developed the shots for Black and Brown people also.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:38 PM

16,428 posts, read 14,023,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I don't think one suggested otherwise. NYT is merely using Apollo as a jumping-off point to comment on the gender & race attitudes of the 1960s.

It takes a special kind of eagerness to be offended to take that as a criticism of the Apollo program in and of itself, but hey - Waldokitty.
No, just their usual complaining about white guys.

You can try to spin it anyway you want to, but fact is they hate white men, they hate the fact the US western world, and basically all of global society has been heavily influenced and built by white men. The computer they type on, the building they sit in, the car they drive, the country they live, all white men, and they despise this fact.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:38 PM

28,133 posts, read 18,061,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Pundits at WaPo, the NYT, and no doubt other leftists complain about the Moon Landing being a product of White Males, hence inherently racist. What do you think?
This weekend, Americans will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, an event widely considered to be a pinnacle of human achievement, let alone American ingenuity. So, of course, it falls to the flagships of establishment journalism to complain about how white men dominated the program.
The Left Dumps On Apollo 11 As A White, Male Enterprise

(personally I'm appalled that these people would take a defining moment in human history, a moment when everyone in the world stopped what they were doing to watch the marvel of a human walking on the Moon, and turn it into something negative. if anything, we need more moments like this when we can forget our divisions and focus on our similarities)
Are you F**ING KIDDING ME? This is perhaps the greatest moment of human history and greatest human accomplishment. One that brought the entire nation-no, the entire world together. One every human should be able to celebrate, to look on with pride and awe. In 10 years, we went from not being able to put a softball into orbit-to putting men on the moon-and bringing them back. We finally went beyond this one rock we live on. And these ignorant F**KING twatwaffels are trying to destroy the moment, to destroy the greatest achievement in human history and make it RACIST and sexist? FO. Sorry about the "language", but this kind of vileness and hatred towards our country, hell, towards humanity, pisses me the F off! NYT suck my ****.

This hatred and disdain for this nation perhaps explains the lack of coverage and celebration of the 50th anniversary of the landing (which is tomorrow, the 20th). This is the greatest achievement in human history-and it gets less recognition than a bunch of whiny, spoiled adults playing children's games do. As a nation, and as a society, our priorities are a hot mess.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 07-19-2019 at 08:47 PM..

Old 07-19-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Are you F**ING KIDDING ME? This is perhaps the greatest moment of human history and greatest human accomplishment. One that brought the entire nation-no, the entire world together. One every human should be able to celebrate, to look on with pride and awe. In 10 years, we went from not being able to put a softball into orbit-to putting men on the moon-and bringing them back. We finally went beyond this one rock we live on. And these ignorant F**KING twatwaffels are trying to destroy the moment, to destroy the greatest achievement in human history and make it RACIST and sexist? FO. Sorry about the "language", but this kind of vileness and hatred towards our country, hell, towards humanity, pisses me the F off! NYT suck my ****.
Perhaps you should read the NYT articles, rather than the OP's condensed version of a blog entry? Because damn, that sort of anger can't be healthy.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 PM

28,133 posts, read 18,061,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Perhaps you should read the NYT articles, rather than the OP's condensed version of a blog entry? Because damn, that sort of anger can't be healthy.
Their tweets summarize their feelings pretty well. Not paying to get through their pay wall (have seen my limit of free propaganda and bigotry for the month).

Gotta laugh (or cry) at the comments about the program being "family-unfriendly". Yeah-dedication to a mission, hard work, a sense of purpose and commitment takes time away from home-and is "family-unfriendly". We call that "adulting". Perhaps the writers for WAPO and NYT should try it some time. If they worked a fraction as hard maybe they could earn a name as respected journalists.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You can try to spin it anyway you want to, but fact is they hate white men, they hate the fact the US western world, and basically all of global society has been heavily influenced and built by white men.
You people believe the weirdest things.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Their tweets summarize their feelings pretty well. Not paying to get through their pay wall (have see my limit of free propaganda and bigotry for the month).
You didn't read the article, but you're all-caps angry anyway. Mmmkay, then.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:51 PM

17,793 posts, read 9,019,153 times
Math was involved. Math is racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or