Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 09:05 PM

39,859 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You didn't read the article, but you're all-caps angry anyway. Mmmkay, then.
I gather you have then. Can you paste the sections of the article that prove the twits quoted in the OP's link are wrong and do not represent the gist of the story? If you can do that, and if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I would like to read it-but am not willing to pay to do so. I can get plenty of anti-American propaganda for free on NBC, CNN or MSNBC.

I'm upset because I lived through those times. I was 7 at the time of the moon landing and remember clearly sitting in front of the TV watching Armstrong and Aldrin step down that ladder and step on the lunar surface. Still remember "This is one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" when it happened. I was a "science nerd" from an early age-those men and the NASA "staff" were my heroes. I remember the awe and pride we felt when Americans made this amazing accomplishment.

I was only 5 when the Apollo 1 crew burned alive in the capsule, but still remember the horror people felt at the time (though I was too young to really understand). I was 10 when the Apollo 13 mission went horribly wrong and remember the terror of their likely loss.

So yes, I'm upset and angry when a bunch of ignorant, entitled individuals, that couldn't accomplish 1/1000 what any of the men and women, black and white, involved with this program trivialize it and make moronic comments about "racism" and "sexism". Want to see more women and minorities in NASA or other advanced technology fields? Actually get kids, especially women and minorities, to study math and science. To build things. To actually get into fields that take thinking, not gender studies or culture appreciation. I started college (engineering) in 1980. I'd guess our class was only 10-15% female. Sadly-40 years later, I see little difference talking with recent grads. (to be honest-that was true maybe 5 years back, I haven't dealt with that many new grads recently; perhaps things have changed in the last few years with a little focus on STEM).

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 07-19-2019 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 09:41 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Per Alan Turing's Wikipedia:
Quote:
Alan Mathison Turing OBE FRS (/ˈtjʊərɪŋ/; 23 June 1912 – 7 June 1954) was an English mathematician, computer scientist, logician, cryptanalyst, philosopher and theoretical biologist.[6] Turing was highly influential in the development of theoretical computer science, providing a formalisation of the concepts of algorithm and computation with the Turing machine, which can be considered a model of a general-purpose computer.[7][8][9] Turing is widely considered to be the father of theoretical computer science and artificial intelligence.[10]
He is often considered the father of computer science. As such, I would think that his findings and research got channeled somehow during the Apollo 11 mission. By the way, he was a White gay man.

So, 16 days before he would have been 42, cyanide claimed his life. While it was initially ruled cause of death was suicide by poisoning, newer evidence suggests it may have been accidental.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:26 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You people believe the weirdest things.
I thought saying "you people" was politically incorrect.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They've made the Moon Landings "racist" now.
You and your blind followers on this thread are the only ones making the moon landing "racist" now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'd be embarrassed to let people know that I didn't bother to read an article which I decided to comment on.
Yet ... Here you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Those tweets were clear, and BTW were picked up by other sites, as well, and the meaning was clear to them, too.
What about the Washington Post's Tweet was not fact? Stating a series of facts, I hate to tell you, is not "dumping" on anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You can try to spin it anyway you want to, but fact is they hate white men, they hate the fact the US western world, and basically all of global society has been heavily influenced and built by white men. The computer they type on, the building they sit in, the car they drive, the country they live, all white men, and they despise this fact.
What on earth are you talking about? Who is "they"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Are you F**ING KIDDING ME? This is perhaps the greatest moment of human history and greatest human accomplishment. One that brought the entire nation-no, the entire world together. One every human should be able to celebrate, to look on with pride and awe. In 10 years, we went from not being able to put a softball into orbit-to putting men on the moon-and bringing them back. We finally went beyond this one rock we live on. And these ignorant F**KING twatwaffels are trying to destroy the moment, to destroy the greatest achievement in human history and make it RACIST and sexist? FO. Sorry about the "language", but this kind of vileness and hatred towards our country, hell, towards humanity, pisses me the F off! NYT suck my ****.
Maybe if you actually read the articles in question, you wouldn't be popping any blood vessels.

Quote:
This hatred and disdain for this nation perhaps explains the lack of coverage and celebration of the 50th anniversary of the landing (which is tomorrow, the 20th). This is the greatest achievement in human history-and it gets less recognition than a bunch of whiny, spoiled adults playing children's games do.
Perhaps you should get out from behind your keyboard and read a magazine or watch TV. I've been watching various programs about Apollo 11 all evening ...

Quote:
Their tweets summarize their feelings pretty well.
Again, what about the Washington Post's Tweet is not true?

Quote:
Gotta laugh (or cry) at the comments about the program being "family-unfriendly".
Read any memoir from anyone who worked at NASA in those days and they will agree that their families and their family life suffered because of their jobs. This is not new information.

Quote:
I'm upset because I lived through those times. I was 7 at the time of the moon landing
So you don't remember squat, then. And being 7 at the time makes you more of an expert than the people who actually worked at NASA at the time? LMAO ...

Quote:
So yes, I'm upset and angry when a bunch of ignorant, entitled individuals, that couldn't accomplish 1/1000 what any of the men and women, black and white, involved with this program trivialize it and make moronic comments about "racism" and "sexism".
I suggest you go back and read the articles in question. If you're too lazy to do so, then you shouldn't be commenting on them - because your comments just expose your lack of knowledge and comprehension about the topic at hand.

Quote:
Want to see more women and minorities in NASA or other advanced technology fields? Actually get kids, especially women and minorities, to study math and science
Good Lord, where have you been for the past 50 years?

Old 07-20-2019, 12:08 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I thought saying "you people" was politically incorrect.
It is said to be racist !!!

I don't know how the democrats can be so out of touch with their own ideas !!!

It may be that they are so loony they don't stick in their minds and need flash cards to speak !!!

Old 07-20-2019, 01:49 AM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Ironically they are praising Russia of all places.
That's the place Leftist from Lee Harvey Oswald to Bernie Sanders would visit isn't it?

Old 07-20-2019, 06:01 AM

1,705 posts, read 537,691 times
Have any of you looked at Space X launches?

They often film their staff watching while they launch, cheering, crying and laughing at what they have managed to do.

They are young and old, white and "colored" people.... So, yeah giving all people the same chances, anybody can rise up to the top of the engineering field!

Letting only white males attend the best schools, and you get only white males at the top of the engineering field.

Thats why women and people of color have fought for decades and continue to fight for EQUAL shots at greatness.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:09 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You and your blind followers on this thread are the only ones making the moon landing "racist" now. Yet ... Here you are. What about the Washington Post's Tweet was not fact? Stating a series of facts, I hate to tell you, is not "dumping" on anyone. What on earth are you talking about? Who is "they"? Maybe if you actually read the articles in question, you wouldn't be popping any blood vessels.
Perhaps you should get out from behind your keyboard and read a magazine or watch TV. I've been watching various programs about Apollo 11 all evening ... Again, what about the Washington Post's Tweet is not true? Read any memoir from anyone who worked at NASA in those days and they will agree that their families and their family life suffered because of their jobs. This is not new information. So you don't remember squat, then. And being 7 at the time makes you more of an expert than the people who actually worked at NASA at the time? LMAO ... I suggest you go back and read the articles in question. If you're too lazy to do so, then you shouldn't be commenting on them - because your comments just expose your lack of knowledge and comprehension about the topic at hand. Good Lord, where have you been for the past 50 years?
Good Lord, learn to respond to a post instead of tearing it apart with a line by line rebuttal. Word Salad to defend the reprehensible moves by WaPo and the NYT and no way I'm reading through that mess. I can't imagine why any adult would do that for two rags that choose to **** on the one of the greatest achievements of man to push their broken political narrative.

Robert Charles: Woke Media Turn Moon Landing into ‘Political Knife Fight’ About Sexism

Old 07-20-2019, 07:19 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Have any of you looked at Space X launches?

They often film their staff watching while they launch, cheering, crying and laughing at what they have managed to do.

They are young and old, white and "colored" people.... So, yeah giving all people the same chances, anybody can rise up to the top of the engineering field!

Letting only white males attend the best schools, and you get only white males at the top of the engineering field.

Thats why women and people of color have fought for decades and continue to fight for EQUAL shots at greatness.

“Letting only white males...”

Did you ever consider it was white males that forged the path? Of course they were their first. They did it, now everyone can follow that path

Where the hell is the gratitude?

Old 07-20-2019, 07:36 AM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The end game for the left is racial hiring quotas, like what they have in South Africa, like what they do in college admissions. And it’s going to put us at a competitive disadvantage, hinder growth, advancement and innovation and we’ll all be worse off because of it. Meritocracy is the only way we continue human advancement. It will also going to breed resentment against the black community ie create racism. My HOPE is that they at least exclude public safety positions from the quotas.
We're going to be worse off? We already are. Our education systems are now designed to bring the outstanding students down to the low IQ student level. Because of this, America has been lagging behind great achievements in inventions and innovations. We are being surpassed by hundreds of countries because of this. I see it in my company where we engineer and design communication systems. Most of the work force that is American, are either older, knocking on retirement , and were educated when schools were better, or came from upperclass families that could afford to send their kids to the better private schools. But, most of the younger players have been coming from other countries like India, Vietnam and Columbia, countries that may be poor, but still hold education in high regards and not to be used as some social experiment like what is happening here in the USA.

We will also never be able to compete with artistry of the Europeans now because of this. It's why we still see so many British, Australian and New Zealand actors dominate much of Hollywood and TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies