U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 07:54 AM

12,479 posts, read 6,955,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I gather you have then. Can you paste the sections of the article that prove the twits quoted in the OP's link are wrong and do not represent the gist of the story? If you can do that, and if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I would like to read it-but am not willing to pay to do so. I can get plenty of anti-American propaganda for free on NBC, CNN or MSNBC.

I'm upset because I lived through those times. I was 7 at the time of the moon landing and remember clearly sitting in front of the TV watching Armstrong and Aldrin step down that ladder and step on the lunar surface. Still remember "This is one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" when it happened. I was a "science nerd" from an early age-those men and the NASA "staff" were my heroes. I remember the awe and pride we felt when Americans made this amazing accomplishment.

I was only 5 when the Apollo 1 crew burned alive in the capsule, but still remember the horror people felt at the time (though I was too young to really understand). I was 10 when the Apollo 13 mission went horribly wrong and remember the terror of their likely loss.

So yes, I'm upset and angry when a bunch of ignorant, entitled individuals, that couldn't accomplish 1/1000 what any of the men and women, black and white, involved with this program trivialize it and make moronic comments about "racism" and "sexism". Want to see more women and minorities in NASA or other advanced technology fields? Actually get kids, especially women and minorities, to study math and science. To build things. To actually get into fields that take thinking, not gender studies or culture appreciation. I started college (engineering) in 1980. I'd guess our class was only 10-15% female. Sadly-40 years later, I see little difference talking with recent grads. (to be honest-that was true maybe 5 years back, I haven't dealt with that many new grads recently; perhaps things have changed in the last few years with a little focus on STEM).
You either have to pull things apart and see how they work, or you don't. Kids who do that naturally, don't need urging to get into STEM. Those NASA guys worked six days a week, and spent the seventh working on some project in their garage. That type of drive and motivation and nerdiness can't be taught and should not be, it just is. A person being led to the wrong path will only end up stressed, frustrated and disappointed. I am still upset I got my first "C" level grade in a computer programming class. Now, because I am female they would probably have given me an B+ to encourage diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 07:58 AM

6,524 posts, read 3,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No it isn't. They linked the very quotes from WaPo and the NYT.

Poppy Northcutt rears her head back and laughs at this idea.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:01 AM

1,669 posts, read 402,220 times
NASA is sexist and racist for ever having hired a white male. All white males should be banned from NASA. SJWs will take to the streets and parade with rejoice.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:41 AM

32,728 posts, read 60,735,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Word Salad to defend the reprehensible moves by WaPo and the NYT and no way I'm reading through that mess.
So says the master at Word Salad. LMAO ... And if you won't read an article, why the hell are you commenting on it?

Once again, what in the Tweet from the Washington Post is not fact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Poppy Northcutt endured a lot in her job. IF you ever bothered to read anything she's said or written, she'd be the first to tell you how difficult it was for women at NASA.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So says the master at Word Salad. LMAO ... And if you won't read an article, why the hell are you commenting on it?

Once again, what in the Tweet from the Washington Post is not fact?

Poppy Northcutt endured a lot in her job. IF you ever bothered to read anything she's said or written, she'd be the first to tell you how difficult it was for women at NASA.
Why are your responses ALWAYS so full of rancor? Where do you get off saying things like “if you ever bothered to read anything” to someone you know NOTHING about? What is wrong with you that you take such pleasure in sharpening your nails on people? My God are your posts nasty and personal.

I watched two hours of Poppy Northcutt last night on PBS’s American Experience. I saw and heard her relay her experience firsthand. I don’t need your pointlessly angry opinions to convince me of anything.

Go wretch off on somebody else.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I watched two hours of Poppy Northcutt last night on PBS’s American Experience. I saw and heard her relay her experience firsthand.
If that is true, why, then, are you willfully belittling what female employees - especially the female engineers - experienced at NASA? I can Google her name and find any number of quotes from her about the sexism at NASA at the time.

You're the one Poppy Northcutt is laughing at.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
If that is true, why, then, are you willfully belittling what female employees - especially the female engineers - experienced at NASA? I can Google her name and find any number of quotes from her about the sexism at NASA at the time.

You're the one Poppy Northcutt is laughing at.
How am I “willfully belittling” the issue when I didn’t even mention it? Not once?

As usual you flew off the handle without even first seeking clarification, and jumped on your royal soapbox to dress down another woman for expressing a moment of pride over one of NASA’s great female engineers. I responded to the claim that the Apollo Mission was a man’s project by simply pointing out that there was a female among them who would disagree. Your response is to be your usual rude self and insult me yet again.

You’re a real piece of work.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:22 AM

33,478 posts, read 17,142,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I gather you have then. Can you paste the sections of the article that prove the twits quoted in the OP's link are wrong and do not represent the gist of the story? If you can do that, and if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I would like to read it-but am not willing to pay to do so. I can get plenty of anti-American propaganda for free on NBC, CNN or MSNBC.

I'm upset because I lived through those times. I was 7 at the time of the moon landing and remember clearly sitting in front of the TV watching Armstrong and Aldrin step down that ladder and step on the lunar surface. Still remember "This is one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" when it happened. I was a "science nerd" from an early age-those men and the NASA "staff" were my heroes. I remember the awe and pride we felt when Americans made this amazing accomplishment.

I was only 5 when the Apollo 1 crew burned alive in the capsule, but still remember the horror people felt at the time (though I was too young to really understand). I was 10 when the Apollo 13 mission went horribly wrong and remember the terror of their likely loss.

So yes, I'm upset and angry when a bunch of ignorant, entitled individuals, that couldn't accomplish 1/1000 what any of the men and women, black and white, involved with this program trivialize it and make moronic comments about "racism" and "sexism". Want to see more women and minorities in NASA or other advanced technology fields? Actually get kids, especially women and minorities, to study math and science. To build things. To actually get into fields that take thinking, not gender studies or culture appreciation. I started college (engineering) in 1980. I'd guess our class was only 10-15% female. Sadly-40 years later, I see little difference talking with recent grads. (to be honest-that was true maybe 5 years back, I haven't dealt with that many new grads recently; perhaps things have changed in the last few years with a little focus on STEM).
That's hilarious. You're angry about something you haven't actually bothered to read, and now you want someone else to type up a brief version for your convenience? Sorry, not sharing my lab notes, but I will offer some advice, gratis: Get the facts first, form your opinion second.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
How am I “willfully belittling” the issue when I didn’t even mention it? Not once?
That's how - ASSuming that she would laugh at the fact that there was sexism at NASA in the 1960s.

And yes, it was a fact. Sexism was everywhere in tech organizations, not just NASA, but denying its existence is just plain incorrect.

Feel free to put me on your ignore list. Make my day.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
That's how - ASSuming that she would laugh at the fact that there was sexism at NASA in the 1960s.

And yes, it was a fact. Sexism was everywhere in tech organizations, not just NASA, but denying its existence is just plain incorrect.

Feel free to put me on your ignore list. Make my day.
Your cognitive dissonance here is off the chart.

Don’t you see that my initial post was a slam against the idea that only men could make Apollo 11 happen? That women like Northcutt would laugh at the idea, as they were THERE, and were an integral part of the mission? I never mentioned sexism at all. Only that she would laugh at the idea that the mission was for men by men.

If you are too stupid to understand my point I can’t help you be smarter. But honestly, you should really work on being a nicer person. You are like battery acid, lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or