U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2019, 04:37 PM
 
564 posts, read 154,429 times
Reputation: 1553

Advertisements

Maybe the Yellowstone super volcano or a gigantic meteor should just wipe the slate clean here.

Jeeezus - *WE* went to the f'in moon and the poop here depresses me.

Shouldn't we all celebrate ma..... human kind???? People????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2019, 04:41 PM
 
643 posts, read 209,080 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Ad hominem and insult as response. Of course the quotes from the NYT and WaPo are right there. Why do you defend them without thought or question?



Because these idiots are incapable of thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2019, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Florida
23,049 posts, read 9,890,204 times
Reputation: 18994
Because twitter says so? This is where the federalist gets their sources? Lol. How desperate is the right-wing these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2019, 04:50 PM
 
46,605 posts, read 18,745,073 times
Reputation: 19399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Because twitter says so? .....

You get worked up on a daily basis for stuff posted on twitter. Why be obtuse about it now? It's clear that came directly from WaPo and the NYT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2019, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,771 posts, read 11,020,759 times
Reputation: 35074
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You get worked up on a daily basis for stuff posted on twitter. Why be obtuse about it now? It's clear that came directly from WaPo and the NYT.

Of course they came from them. Their tweets are available for all to read.

And as if that NYT's 7/16 tweet wasn't enough, and didn't garner enough flak for them, they followed it up with this gem 2 days later--another attempt to minimize the U.S. accomplishment:

Attachment 212905

Memo to NYT: Despite your identity politics, the U.S. ultimately won the space race.

Last edited by Delahanty; 07-21-2019 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2019, 01:46 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,728 posts, read 60,753,575 times
Reputation: 54729
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You are quite excitable today. It's bad for you. I suggest some yoga.

The Moon landings were neither racist, nor sexist. It was reprehensible of WaPo and the NYT to take even that event, and turn it into something for the deranged who apparently hate everything.
I'm not the one creating multiple threads that
either willfully twist what's actually printed in black and white, or willfully ignore what's actually printed in black and white. That's on you, my dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is pure Leftist, Virtue Signaling and another attempt to re-write history and demonize White Men.
One. More. Time.

What in those articles and Tweets is untrue? I keep asking the question, and y'all keep dancing around it, or you go for the personal attack.

Were NASA engineers not largely white men?

Were women and people of color not largely found only in support positions?

Why is this so hard for you to acknowledge? It's our history, and it's well documented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2019, 03:22 AM
 
1,375 posts, read 260,605 times
Reputation: 897
In 1959, a librarian called the police on a 9-year-old black child named Ronald McNair after he refused to leave a segregated library without being allowed to check out his books.

He went on to get a PhD in physics from MIT, and became an astronaut. He died aboard the space shuttle Challenger. The library that refused to lend him books is now named after him.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,771 posts, read 11,020,759 times
Reputation: 35074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm not the one creating multiple threads that
either willfully twist what's actually printed in black and white, or willfully ignore what's actually printed in black and white. That's on you, my dear.


One. More. Time.

What in those articles and Tweets is untrue? I keep asking the question, and y'all keep dancing around it, or you go for the personal attack.

Were NASA engineers not largely white men?

Were women and people of color not largely found only in support positions?

Why is this so hard for you to acknowledge? It's our history, and it's well documented.

Chuck the high drama of your One. More. Time.

Nobody's "dancing around" the words in those tweets. You are the one who apparently doesn't understand what they're saying, and won't acknowledge the fact that the NYT and WaPo couldn't bring themselves to recognize the 50th anniversary of the lunar landing without minimizing the achievement by pointing out, for example, that yes, we landed the first man on the moon, BUT Russia sent the first woman into space.

Anyone who's read the abundance of books on astronauts, cosmonauts, and space exploration, in general, would have learned long ago that the then-uneducated Valentina Tereshkova was plucked from a cotton mill so that Kruschev could brag about women's "equality" under socialism.

American women astronauts, on the other hand, were educated doctors, physicists, and engineers. And BTW, they weren't tokens--it didn't take 20 years to send another American woman into space, as was the case with Russia.

Those of us who were here then know what an accomplishment the lunar landing was, and the nation came together to celebrate it. In fact, it's estimated that 80% of the world stopped to watch, or read, or knew about it in some form.

And NASA was wise to send the trio, prior to the moonshot, to visit those representing every industry involved in the effort: those who sewed the suits, made the computers, assembled the module...even Michael Collins, as they were returning to Earth, took the time to thank those behind the scenes for their part in making the landing a success. It was a collaborative effort, which is why so many came together in celebration of it.

This anniversary is worthy of commemmoration, independent of veiled comparisons to other countries' achievements. I'm tired of otherwise intelligent people thinking that it's somehow jingoistic to be proud of ours, and that they can't comprehend the meaning of the words behind those tweets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,728 posts, read 60,753,575 times
Reputation: 54729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Nobody's "dancing around" the words in those tweets.
Did you answer the question? No. Let's try again. What about those Tweets was untrue?

Quote:
NYT and WaPo couldn't bring themselves to recognize the 50th anniversary of the lunar landing without minimizing the achievement by pointing out, for example, that yes, we landed the first man on the moon, BUT Russia sent the first woman into space.
How is that "minimizing" the achievement of the moon landing? Are you yourself incapable of acknowledging one fact without dismissing another? Because I'm certainly not.

Nothing you've presented about the Soviets is news, anyway ...

Quote:
Those of us who were here then know what an accomplishment the lunar landing was, and the nation came together to celebrate it. In fact, it's estimated that 80% of the world stopped to watch, or read, or knew about it in some form.
And I was disputing that ... how, exactly?

Quote:
even Michael Collins, as they were returning to Earth, took the time to thank those behind the scenes for their part in making the landing a success. It was a collaborative effort, which is why so many came together in celebration of it.
Your point is ... ?

Try to focus. Celebrating the moon launch and lauding the people behind it do not change the facts in the Washington Post tweet: The large majority of the engineers and higher-up technical personnel at NASA at the time were white men. This is not disputable; it is fact. Anyone who was alive in the 1960s or who can digest history with a little perspective realizes that that's the way it was, and realizes and appreciates the uphill climb women and minorities made to rise at NASA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 11:50 AM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
10,049 posts, read 21,380,870 times
Reputation: 9567
If you want to bash NASA's lack of diversity in 1969 at least give them credit for quickly improving. 1986 Challenger crew was majority non White male, with one Black and one Asian American. They changed long before it was pressured to from the outside. (Unlike Hollywood )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top