U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-19-2019, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,657 posts, read 2,676,638 times
Reputation: 2566

Advertisements

Many liberals think they oppose corporate rule.

They don't like Wall Street and they think the 1% should face progressive taxation.

But the moral values they build for themselves are a product of corporate capital and global trade.

The interest in Humanitarianism, Self-care, and internationalism are formed as individual behavior, but they are used to further cement their class interests.

Humanitarianism is meant to promote a utilitarian view of global society. The more wealth transported to the third world, the better humanitarian value one has achieved.

This logic has allowed the Chinese government to promote poverty reduction as an example of its morality.

But developmental wealth is a means by which to promote corporate ownership of capital offering the standard of living they hope to maintain.

Self-care, exercise, etc. which is often viewed as individual pursuits are in reality a mode by which the urban class can deincentivize cultural development. Making them expensive actions both in terms of monetary cost and time marketable has the affect of lowering supply to keep these practices profitable.

And the usage of taxes are meant to give give economic importance to corporate capital making society reliant on their revenue to function.

This way the economic interests of shareholders which directly fund the high cost liberal standards are made government priorities.

In the end wall street and silicon valley are natural allies to liberals as globalism is best promoted by these sources.

Leftist like myself and others who want to build a kinder more equal society should avoid liberals.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/10/v...th-parenthood/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 12:08 PM
 
4,663 posts, read 913,557 times
Reputation: 1947
What is the TL;DR of your linked article, Winterfall8324?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:14 PM
 
15,436 posts, read 4,081,982 times
Reputation: 11135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Many liberals think they oppose corporate rule.

They don't like Wall Street and they think the 1% should face progressive taxation.

But the moral values they build for themselves are a product of corporate capital and global trade.

The interest in Humanitarianism, Self-care, and internationalism are formed as individual behavior, but they are used to further cement their class interests.

Leftist like myself and others who want to build a kinder more equal society should avoid liberals.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/10/v...th-parenthood/
Sounds somewhat like those who use the corporate owned computers, phones, networks, routers and other stuff to access the corporate owned web sites to tell us what we should or should not think.

Now, if you are a "leftist" sitting on a mountaintop eating herbs and bugs who has developed your own devices from scratch and doesn't, each day, use the products of 100's of corporations.....well....

POINT US TO YOUR BLOG. Speaking for "liberals" I'd like to see what attempts you made at the above.

We never got there, but we spent 3 years living in a tent with a floor from pallets and using outhouses....and the total bill for our life then was one dollar per person per day.

Dollars to Donuts you never lived on even 20 or 30X or even 50X times that. If this is the case, where does your authority for judgement come from? I'd say you pulled it from....somewhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,657 posts, read 2,676,638 times
Reputation: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
What is the TL;DR of your linked article, Winterfall8324?
"Today, spin classes, artisanal food, and the college application process have replaced Sunday promenades, evening lectures, and weekly salons. But make no mistake, they serve the same purpose: transforming class privilege into individual virtue, thereby shoring up social dominance."

This is the thesis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,657 posts, read 2,676,638 times
Reputation: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Sounds somewhat like those who use the corporate owned computers, phones, networks, routers and other stuff to access the corporate owned web sites to tell us what we should or should not think.

Now, if you are a "leftist" sitting on a mountaintop eating herbs and bugs who has developed your own devices from scratch and doesn't, each day, use the products of 100's of corporations.....well....

POINT US TO YOUR BLOG. Speaking for "liberals" I'd like to see what attempts you made at the above.

We never got there, but we spent 3 years living in a tent with a floor from pallets and using outhouses....and the total bill for our life then was one dollar per person per day.

Dollars to Donuts you never lived on even 20 or 30X or even 50X times that. If this is the case, where does your authority for judgement come from? I'd say you pulled it from....somewhere!
People can't live a pure life on an individual basis, that was the point of the article.

In fact the concept of good living being achieved on an individual basis is why liberal altruism is flawed.

The problem is society and what is promoted within our economic system. I can still complain while being a member of society. The best we can do is minimize our personal exertion onto elite culture and attempt to help others in minimal ways.

This video best explains what I mean (and answers your question):


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh6K0z7-700
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:40 PM
 
1,754 posts, read 598,110 times
Reputation: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Self-care, exercise, etc. which is often viewed as individual pursuits are in reality a mode by which the urban class can deincentivize cultural development. Making them expensive actions both in terms of monetary cost and time marketable has the affect of lowering supply to keep these practices profitable.
I think people exercise because being fat sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,657 posts, read 2,676,638 times
Reputation: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I think people exercise because being fat sucks.
No, they exercise because they don't get their daily physical routine from work or entertainment anymore.

The Gym industry represents another class structure that turns something that was once universal into a market oriented good targeted towards the upper class.

(quality of Gyms differ from place to place, and many places don't have them at all). Exercise routines like Yoga, Pilates, etc. practiced outside of the gym are again ways to marketing (segregation of class) 'good behavior' that was once intrinsic with human life.

The food industry is another example. All food use to be organic. Now rural towns in farming areas have less access to healthy food than some urban areas. Does that make sense? Its because a universal good has been marketed in a segregated fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top