Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 04:44 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,177,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It doesn't have to end. You see, it's a long slow slide into Oligarchy and Authoritarianism and Hopelessness as evidenced by the Opioid thing and the lower life spans and more.

There is no "end". For some things will improve. For most, they will not. It has been this way for at least 40 years and it will continue because - somehow - those who should be changing things have been convinced that good drugs will fill the gap.

Hopefully many here have seen the maps....but these don't show everything.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.2fff966b2eb9

Somehow, someway, a time machine and teleporting has occurred and made Liberals force opiates onto all those Trump voting areas.
You believe this? You have no understanding of the cause of the opiod crisis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 05:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,256,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

(Just looking for immediate "off the cuff" opinions here, which is why I did not post this in Great Debates.)
I think America is headed for some form of civil war which will result in a major restructuring of the country.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:12 AM

58,923 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
In the mid-19th century, this kind of polarization resulted in the Civil War, but as there are now a great many extreme liberals and extreme conservatives in almost every area of the U.S. (with some notable exceptions, I think), how do you think this will eventually resolve?

1. That the liberals or extreme liberals will prevail

2. That the conservatives or extreme conservatives will prevail

3. That people will eventually learn to live mostly in harmony with each other after some kind of "give" on both sides

4. That things will continue as they are indefinitely, with extremists on both sides continuing to strongly dislike (or even hate) those who disagree with them on some issues

5. Other?

Also, do you think that there will be an increase in both the frequency and intensity of violent confrontations between extremists (of either or both parties), or not?

(Just looking for immediate "off the cuff" opinions here, which is why I did not post this in Great Debates.)
It has been worse before, it has been better before,
The pendulum swings one way, then the other.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:27 AM

19,770 posts, read 9,314,494 times
Thanks for all the answers so far!

I personally have no opinion on how this divide will end (and, yes, I do think it is real, although I also think that it is very possibly fueled by many "outside sources"), but I am very sorry that, so far, no one posting on this thread thinks it will be #3 -- that people will eventually learn to live mostly in harmony with each other after some kind of "give" on both sides. (Unless I missed it, that is.)

And, yes, as has been stated before by both myself and others, Americans have never (to my knowledge) lived almost entirely in harmony and agreement with each other, but I am almost 66, and judging from the discord here on City-Data and what I see on the news, I have never witnessed the divide as bad as this in my life, not even in the late 60's when the Vietnam war at its height.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:30 AM

4,665 posts, read 3,857,058 times
Either we turn into Canada or Panem.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:48 AM

34,216 posts, read 18,550,731 times
The MEDIA and the Democrats are creating and promoting the "divide". Turn off social media and tv, and go outside. See anybody fighting, blood in the streets, social unrest? NO. People living their lives, going to work, doing recreational things, etc. There is no crisis, and stop worrying about it.

If there is unrest it is Antifa and BLM stirring up crap in cities, and even that is rare.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:03 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,839,970 times
We'd have to quit making it about political parties and making it about decency, truly wanting what is best for our country. Quit believing the lies about division among the races or even among political parties except for the most extreme. There is an attempt being carried out to divide us because that is our weakest position.

Racism accusations are used to create dissention and division.
Abortion rights in not your friend. It is another tool used to create a wedge between the people of the USA not to mention less of us.
The immigration situation is used to create argument and a narrative that one side is cruel and unfeeling when in reality, all decent people care about the people who are truly in need of help. It's just a matter of how we do it. There are those using it for political purposes who don't care about the people.

There are extremist who are labeled as Democrat or Republican on either side when in reality, they are extremists. Period. Labeling just creates more division.

We have allowed it to go on for so long, we forgot how to be just.........Americans.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:07 AM

20,077 posts, read 8,987,922 times
just a minor uprising by the unmotivated natives. They'll fall in line after Trump is re-elected.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:13 AM

12,268 posts, read 6,462,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
The current Liberal ideologies are stupid and unpopular with the majority of Americans.
The majority of Americans are unpopular with the civilized people of the world.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:18 AM

20,077 posts, read 8,987,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The majority of Americans are unpopular with the civilized people of the world.
which countries that you've visited do you find that unpopularity the most pronounced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies