Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 12:56 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times

Advertisements

Without going back to my books, I know Robert E. Lee to be a great general who was offered command of the Union army at the outbreak of hostilities between the North and the South. Robert E. Lee was not charged with war crimes at the end of the Civil War and retired to teach at Washington University. Lee also graduated from West Point second in his class.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab

Historical revisionists seek to smear Lee's memory because they judge people who died 150 years ago by twenty first century's revisionist standards. Yes Lee was a slave owner. So was Washington, Jefferson and a thousand other great men.

As a liberal, I am insulted by these limousine liberals who try to condemn something that was considered acceptable behavior two hundred years ago. Adam Serwer the author would be more productive investigating American corporations who compel twenty first century employees to work 70 hour weeks without overtime pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 01:14 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Without going back to my books, I know Robert E. Lee to be a great general who was offered command of the Union army at the outbreak of hostilities between the North and the South. Robert E. Lee was not charged with war crimes at the end of the Civil War and retired to teach at Washington University. Lee also graduated from West Point second in his class.

Historical revisionists seek to smear Lee's memory because they judge people who died 150 years ago by twenty first century's revisionist standards. Yes Lee was a slave owner. So was Washington, Jefferson and a thousand other great men.

As a liberal, I am insulted by these limousine liberals who try to condemn something that was considered acceptable behavior two hundred years ago. Adam Serwer the author would be more productive investigating American corporations who compel twenty first century employees to work 70 hour weeks without overtime pay.
just look at the guy who wrote that article...…. and where he works...……..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Serwer

another far left radical...……..pot..... meet kettle

Old 07-20-2019, 03:04 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
obama said marriage was between a man and a woman about a decade ago. he's a monster.

Old 07-20-2019, 03:09 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Historical revisionists seek to smear Lee's memory because they judge people who died 150 years ago by twenty first century's revisionist standards. Yes Lee was a slave owner. So was Washington, Jefferson and a thousand other great men.As a liberal, I am insulted by these limousine liberals who try to condemn something that was considered acceptable behavior two hundred years ago. Adam Serwer the author would be more productive investigating American corporations who compel twenty first century employees to work 70 hour weeks without overtime pay.
Thanks for sharing. You could always join one of the activist groups fighting to keep ole' Robert E. Lee around. Seems like it would be more productive than bashing your fellow liberals, who probably are not very bothered by your admonishment.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/confedera...ep-them-around

Old 07-20-2019, 04:23 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Thanks for sharing. You could always join one of the activist groups fighting to keep ole' Robert E. Lee around. Seems like it would be more productive than bashing your fellow liberals, who probably are not very bothered by your admonishment.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/confedera...ep-them-around

Serwer is not a fellow liberal. There is a brand of liberal who walk the walk and talk the talk until it comes to money. That's when they are exactly like the DeVos family, the Koch family, and every other family that makes sure that PBS, NBC, CBS and ABC make the nightly news useless.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:25 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I agree with your overall sentiment, but I think with Lee, although he got off easy, it could be said that he as a major leader in a treasonous revolt.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:26 PM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:

Most of history is seen upon that way today. But there's still lots of real written history out on the net to read. Just that many don't bother; whatever they are taught in K-12 today is their gospel truth.

FWIW you should sit down and read an 8th grade history book on the Civil War.
Compared to when I learned it you'd think they were two different wars.

No objectivity at all.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:39 PM

858 posts, read 424,517 times
The true revisionists of the Civil War were the instigators of the Lost Cause mythology. Lee and his band of traitors should be remembered but not memorialized.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:27 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:

Nice cast, now work the lure just right and you will soon get a strike. You won't even have to set the hook.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:35 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
First, you need to be more specific about what you are objecting to. You state "historical revisionists seek to smear Lee's memory...." Can you give some examples? One might disagree with taking down statues of Lee and other confederate generals, but doing so does not constitute smearing their memory. Are there any other specific examples of someone smearing RE Lee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies